PDA

View Full Version : Messing with one of Jonny King's Patterns

Steve Cali
03-07-2012, 12:49 PM
I added a collar of Artic Fox for a little extra breathing during your retrieve...

http://www.pbase.com/astevecali/image/141938368/large.jpg

Darian
03-07-2012, 02:35 PM
Hey Steve,.... Do I detect a new pattern for Pez Gallo :question: That fly looks great. Probably won't retain water so it'll be easy to cast and will ride shallow with an intermediate line.... :D

Your photography really shows off the fly. =D>

Steve Cali
03-07-2012, 02:48 PM
Darian,

Yep, the Slinky Fiber sheds water on the first back cast. It is a great Pez Gallo Fly. I havn't landed any grandes on it but Jonny I think has.

Here's another one...

http://www.pbase.com/astevecali/image/141940571/large.jpg

Scott V
03-07-2012, 03:08 PM
Steve you not only take great pictures but you tie some of the best flies in my opinion.

I am going to Florida in May for my first trip for reds. Do you have a personal favorite that you like to throw? I will be mostly sight fishing in real shallow water in the Mosquito Lagoon.

jbird
03-07-2012, 05:44 PM
Steve that is a beaut! I love the Pulglisi profile. I have found those synthetics hold the ink of a sharpy quite well. A dot on the shoulder makes a really nice sardina.

Great to have you posting here on Kienes. I was just looking at your synthetic clouser in the new mag. VERY nice!

Steve Cali
03-07-2012, 06:03 PM
Hey Scott,

Never been red fish fishing. So, really can't recommend anything. Sorry, but good luck and have a blast!

Jbird,

These flies are not tied Pulglisi style, but rather Jonny King style. They are round a push a ton of water which in turn make the tail swim...

Jonny and Darian really got me into thinking about articulated flies again and I posted one of them over at Dan's site. I used mono to attach the articulated tail to the hook which is much more lighter than metal. Just need to see how it swims...

With regards to the FFSW article...Thanks! It was fun. They even made a video on it to boot:

http://www.flyfishinsalt.com/videos-sf/featured-videos/synthetic-clouser.

Although the tier ties it a little different than I do...

Again, thanks!

SC

jbird
03-07-2012, 06:54 PM
Jonny king does have some unreal patterns. His kinky muddler is really nice. I did see the articulated pattern on Blantons. These are all patterns Im paying close attention to (including Darians crawdad) for my first full season here in Wisconsin. Smallies, Northerns and LMB should be all over these patterns.

Keep up the great work!

OceanSunfish
03-07-2012, 10:25 PM
Good thing those patterns weren't literally in front of me..... They both look so good I would get out the fillet knife and make dinner....... :)

Darian
03-07-2012, 11:05 PM
I thought it might be Rooster pattern. It's just so good lookin'. If I was a Rooster, I'd be all over it. :D

After seeing Jonny Kings articulated flies, I started thinking about patterns that might be useful to re-visit with an eye to making a jointed fly. One that comes to mind is Steve's Hybrid fly. A very different head/body from the tail. Articulated, it might give some extra action. No Waddington Shanks for this one, tho. Something to think about.... Altho, I'm not sure Steve would agree that it would improve an already good pattern. ;)

Steve Cali
03-08-2012, 08:42 AM
Darian,

The G&S Hybrid is now called the G&S Roosta. Umpqua is now producing this fly and can be purchased through them in Tan and Olive. Yes, a little shameless self promotion...grin...

Anyways, you are completely on it with regards to articulated flies. Any fly with a longer tail can be tied this way. Funny how you mentioned the Hybrid...well...Roosta fly. I was going to tie this fly articulated and see how it swims in the pool today. I'll get my GoPro and film it too boot...

Darian, you have great ideas and I love seeing your flies.

SC

Darian
03-08-2012, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the compliment, Steve. When you're retired, you have a lot of time to acquire stuff for tying flies and thinking about how to use it. (What does that say about my social life :?: :lol: )

Hope you'll post the video of the articulated Hybrid.... :D

Steve Cali
03-08-2012, 11:16 AM
Darian,

I didn't get to the Roosta yet, but decided to mess with this first...Probably wont do to much with all the material but...

http://www.pbase.com/astevecali/image/141952879/large.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/astevecali/image/141952881/large.jpg

SC

Jay Murakoshi
03-08-2012, 11:39 AM
Hey Steve,

You've come a long way since our first trip to the kelp beds off the Capitola wharf. Do you remember that trip? I'll never forget seeing all those white sea bass in the kelp beds.
The fly tying is fantastic along with your photography. A question, where did you purchase the reflective background? I'm still old fashion, I still like the "J" hooks although a couple of my new wig hair bait fish patterns have been tied on a 30 degree jig hook along with a new deer hair frog.

I'll bet the kids are really grown, my youngest - ryan is on his way to the CHP academy next month, something he's been trying to get into for a few years. Maybe this might help me talk my way out of cell phone citations :-) For those of you who have never been tagged yet, it's not cheap about the price of a new sage rod. And too think, I'm one who hates seeing people talking and texting on cell phones. I have a long story about my citations, want to hear them - I'll bore you with stories at the Kiene' fly fair "-)

Anyway, great job steve

Jay

Steve Cali
03-08-2012, 12:02 PM
Hey Steve,

You've come a long way since our first trip to the kelp beds off the Capitola wharf. Do you remember that trip? I'll never forget seeing all those white sea bass in the kelp beds.
The fly tying is fantastic along with your photography. A question, where did you purchase the reflective background? I'm still old fashion, I still like the "J" hooks although a couple of my new wig hair bait fish patterns have been tied on a 30 degree jig hook along with a new deer hair frog.

I'll bet the kids are really grown, my youngest - ryan is on his way to the CHP academy next month, something he's been trying to get into for a few years. Maybe this might help me talk my way out of cell phone citations :-) For those of you who have never been tagged yet, it's not cheap about the price of a new sage rod. And too think, I'm one who hates seeing people talking and texting on cell phones. I have a long story about my citations, want to hear them - I'll bore you with stories at the Kiene' fly fair "-)

Anyway, great job steve

Jay

Hey Jay,

That day is one of my fondest memories with you. What a blast that was!

I got the poster paper in Los Gatos at Affordable Treasures. Let me know what colors and I'll stop by and pick some up for you.

Yea, my daughter is a freshman this year and loving High School, and my boys are 12 and 7 years old. Time is flying...

SC

Darian
03-08-2012, 03:59 PM
Another great looking fly. =D> Funny how something can be right in front of you and still not register.... #-o I never entertained the idea of an articulated Clouser before. knowing that you don't like to use wire for your connections, what did you use for yours??? I can see that pattern being great for use in and around kelp beds, surf, down in Baja, etc. :nod:

Adam Grace
03-08-2012, 04:06 PM
I have never heard of nor seen an Articulated Clouser, THAT SOUNDS VERY COOL!

Steve Cali
03-08-2012, 09:38 PM
Darian,

I used 80 mono.

My whole idea with articulation is with the tail and not a body with a hook in the tail like the fish skull articulated product...I think you can make some flies have some incredible action this way when weighting it different ways.

It will be fun to mess with all the weighting options there are. Especially Dave Sellers rear weighting...

SC

Steve Cali
03-09-2012, 11:49 AM
http://www.pbase.com/astevecali/image/141970258/large.jpg

jbird
03-09-2012, 12:56 PM
this is getting REALLY interesting. You guys are gonna make me dig out my vise. Steve, how do you keep tension on the body while working with it? Cant help but wonder what mylar tubing would look like where youve wrapped chenille on the body??? It wouldnt be as supple but may have a nice profile. Im starting to picture an articulated balyhoo/needlefish/baby northern pike. Something long and slim that swims like a rapala :-)

Steve Cali
03-09-2012, 01:04 PM
I use my fingers to keep the tail under control while tying onto it. You can do almost anything like have multiple articulated areas within the tail portion, or use all types of materials onto this area as well and much more...

Here's one I just used plain old Slinky Fiber for the tail. It really moves around in the pool.

http://www.pbase.com/astevecali/image/141970794/large.jpg

Darian
03-09-2012, 02:33 PM
Steve,.... Another great use of creating a jointed fly while segmenting the abdomen. Did you use the 80# mono to create a loop on the front end of the rear section of the fly :?: If so, does that mean that you tied the materials on the mono, as well :?:

Jbird,.... Thinking about the image of an articulated baitfish; how about using backer rod under mylar tubing to create a shallow running version and the chenille base for a sinking version :?: The backer rod will provide a roounded shape that can be further tapered on either or both ends.... Divide it in the center and you can have an articulated version, too. :cool:

Some time ago I tied a prototype of a fly I dubbed the HudCast. It used silver mylar electric sheething tied on two hooks joined together to create the articulated body. The only problem was it was difficult to cast. I sent it Jay M to test. His comment was, It's not for the faint hearted to cast." :eek:

This IS getting more interesting.... :D