PDA

View Full Version : Which flies should I swing on the SF Eel?

Adam Grace
03-06-2012, 04:12 PM
I will be fishing the SF Eel in about 2 weeks and i a wondering which patterns of flies should I tie or bring with my to swing on my spey rod?

k.hanley
03-06-2012, 04:53 PM
Adam the classic "Burlap" has always been very very good to me. So has the Green Butt Skunk and a Shewey's Spawning Purple.

I know you'll get a great list from everyone here in the board community.

Enjoy your trip bud.
Cheers, Ken

Rick J
03-06-2012, 05:26 PM
depending on flows I would be using good size tube flies and pink or pink and blue or pink and purple marabou type or intruder type are great late season colors

Charlie S
03-06-2012, 05:30 PM
First check that the S Eel is open. As above, good suggestions by the way, regular Comet and Optic Flies have always been good.

matt johnson
03-06-2012, 07:51 PM
Hey Adam,

Water clarity is a big variable in the winter so I try to always bring large, medium, and small flies from honkin' bright to drab shades and everything in between to cover all the bases.

I watch the flows and weather closely, and when I lock into an expectation of what the conditions are going to be, I will go big on the size and color of flies I think will be most useful right before the trip. Things usually don't look like I expect them to when I get there though....

I think steelhead will hit just about anything. I have a lot of confindence in string leeches but fish other stuff when I get bored.

Pink flies are usually good in the winter. Black and blue is a good combo... For inspiration take a look at Idylwilde's steelhead patterns. You can't go wrong there. Good luck! Matt.

Terry Thomas
03-06-2012, 08:37 PM
Hartwick's Hosers had their beginnings on the Eel. Both the blue and pink patterns have fished very well.

Adam Grace
03-06-2012, 09:53 PM
Thanks guys. I will take these patterns with me.

BTW, how should I check and see if the Eel is still open?

Ben J
03-06-2012, 10:03 PM
It should be open. I could be mistaken but I thought low flow restrictions ended January 31... If i'm wrong on this then call the DFG low flow hotline.

And i've gotta agree with everyone who mentioned pink... I've been throwing a lot of pink intruder type bugs this winter... and if the water is low and clear, there's always the good ol' boss.

shawn kempkes
03-07-2012, 08:55 AM
this late in the season the river if open will be low and clear. I would kick it old school and bring some eel classics like the thor and polar shrimp. Also lady carolines and deep purple speys.

dpentoney
03-07-2012, 11:21 AM
Fall Favorite......If at all possible I would go a little father north to the main Eel.
Much more chance of fresh fish this late in the season.

Rick J
03-07-2012, 03:27 PM
http://cdec.water.ca.gov/river/eelStages.html

here are flows for Eel - South f\Fork is in good shape right now - not rally low but ought to be clear

Ben J
03-07-2012, 04:55 PM
I went back out on the SF Eel this morning a little upstream from Myers Flat... Water conditions were just about perfect for swinging. I ended up landing a downrunner on a red/orange marabou shank fly. I also talked to quite a few bait fisherman in drift boats and they are starting to get bluebacks.

Took a look at the main stem on the drive back home and it is starting to turn from brown to green.

Notch
03-07-2012, 05:17 PM
You should be up there right now! The SF Eel near Garberville fished well at flows around 1000 - 1200 cfs and that's about what they are now. Kinda hard to plan a steelhead trip in advance, but you might hit it right if we get more rain? Focus on fishing productive water over what color fly you're using, and keep moving around if you're not getting bit. Those fish will eat if you get it in their face. Last time I was up there I didn't have a bite all day and figured it was going to be a beat-down, then caught two fish in three casts in the last hole of the day...Stay confident and keep that line tight! If you can pick up a streamtime map that will help you focus on fishing the good holes and keep you from getting lost. Good Luck