PDA

View Full Version : Yuba, Feather, Sac Report

RJSFLYTRIP
03-02-2012, 09:52 PM
The Dry Fly Fishing has been the best I have ever seen it in the valley. The Skwala fishing on the Yuba has been solid. Nothing better than aggressive strikes from rainbows blowing up on a stonefly dry. While the Yuba is more known for dry fly fishing what has been impressive is the amount of fish looking up on the Lower Sac. If you hit one of those warm days when the bugs come out there are fish eating on the top everywhere. I have had multiple days where we have literally thrown dry flies for 2+ hours. I have never seen it this way. Now all we need is some warm weather to get those bugs happy again. Bring those 4 weights!!!

What is the big news in my life? Maggie just started walking two weeks ago. It is so amazing to see the progression and learning process that children go through. Even though she is doing the slow Frankenstein walk I am one proud papa. What a fun ride we have begun.

In this post you will find a handful of openings that I have in the upcoming months, a fishing report on the Yuba, Sac, Feather, and of course couple big fish shots from February. Hope you are well and are getting to tug on some fish this winter.

Spring Openings

We are approaching prime time on the valley rivers. From now until mid May the Lower Sac, Yuba, and Feather are going to have great fishing. If you have been putting off booking a trip now is the time to do so. As you can see below the calendar is filling up. Don't Miss Out!

March: 24-25 (Sat/Sun), 26-27

April: 11, 20, 24, 27, 30

May: 8-11, 13-18, 20-25, 26-28 (Memorial Day Weekend), 29-31

Current Fishing Reports

Some of the best fishing of the year is just around the corner. For those dry fly fisherman out there the Yuba is going to be prime. The Skwala Hatch is starting to wrap up and the March Browns will be coming out soon. The March Brown hatch is the best hatch of the year!!! Big mayflies floating down the river get those rainbows really happy. If you are into throwing dries to picky feisty rainbows then there is no better time of year. For nymphing on the Yuba the best bugs have been rubberlegs, copper johns, and Hogans S&M.

The Lower Sac has been really good the last 3 weeks. The caddis hatch is in full swing and the PMDs have already begun hatching. With a plethora of bugs out those Lower Sac fish have been hungry. If you want lots of numbers and good dry fly fishing then the Lower Drifts have been best. But if you are chasing the big boys then you can readily catch 18-20" rainbows up in town. This is literally my favorite time of year on the Sac. With more warm weather coming the fishing is going to be really good. Hot flies have been all your prince nymph variations, micro mays, mercers pmd nymph, and Hogans S&M.

The Feather spring steelhead season is getting really close. I have already heard a couple reports of some early fish in the system. I wont be heading over there for another couple of weeks but I am getting pumped to fish for these little chromers. By far my favorite venue of the valley. If you have not checked out the Feather then the spring is a great time to do that. You will never see a river fish move so fast in your life!!! If its anything like last year then we are in for a treat. Get in on the action from mid March to mid May.

Tight Lines!

RJSFLYTRIP
03-06-2012, 09:41 PM
I spent the day fishing the Yuba yesterday with 2 of my regular clients. To much of my disappointment it seemed like the Skwala Hatch was dwindling. On Friday last weekend we rose lots of fish on a Skwala Dry but Monday was a different story in the same water that we did well on Friday.

Monday was still a solid day of fishing but nymphing ended up being the name of the game. We boated 24 rainbows in the 10-18" class and lost half a dozen more. We were still able to raise 5-6 fish but not nearly as impressive as 3 days before.

My take...there will still be solid Skwala Fishing for the next week. I saw a lot more mayfly rises on Monday. So that means the March Brown fishing is just around the corner. I am so ready for this hatch.

Hope you guys are picking on some noses. Gotta love the Yuba!

RJSFLYTRIP
03-13-2012, 08:41 PM
I guided the Lower Feather for the first time this spring on Monday with good success. I had one angler in the boat and we hooked 10 springers in the low flow area. Here is what I took away from the trip. It didn't feel like there were a ton of fish in the system yet. We caught some really bright fresh fish but they were really spread out. Most of the fish were your typical springers in the 16-20" class. No true monsters hooked Monday. If we had nicer conditions then possibly there would have been a few more grabs but I think things should improve in the next couple of weeks. Hot flies were all over the place from small prince nymphs, Hogans SM, and sucker spawn.

Anyone looking to get in on a trip last minute I still have March 21, 24 (Sat.), 26 still open.

Hope you are all well.

Tight Lines!