PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Freshwater Species

Adam Grace
03-01-2012, 10:46 PM
What is you favorite freshwater species of fish in North America?

FISHEYE
03-01-2012, 10:59 PM
I voted steelhead. What about pike, grayling or sheefish?

Adam Grace
03-02-2012, 01:16 AM
There were only 10 spots available. Pike are cool, I guess that my selections were more western species. But that's why I included "Other."

Charlie S
03-02-2012, 05:36 AM
I put "Other" because I just like to catch fish. Several places I fish have Rainbows, Browns and other species, so I'm like a kid in a candy store when fishing there. A local lake has LM and SM Bass but also has carp big enough to tow you around for a while, again a great choice. Steelhead hold a very special place in my heart but limitations of correct water flows and seasonal nature are factors. I guess the bottom line is, if I'm fly fishing, I'm happy.

jbird
03-02-2012, 06:55 AM
I put "Other" because I just like to catch fish. Several places I fish have Rainbows, Browns and other species, so I'm like a kid in a candy store when fishing there. A local lake has LM and SM Bass but also has carp big enough to tow you around for a while, again a great choice. Steelhead hold a very special place in my heart but limitations of correct water flows and seasonal nature are factors. I guess the bottom line is, if I'm fly fishing, I'm happy.

Im in Charlies boat! Tho after a eenie meenie minie mo, I picked brown trout.

Jay Murakoshi
03-02-2012, 07:43 AM
where's the carp?

Jay

jerry from sac
03-02-2012, 08:14 AM
Other
- Redfish!!

Charlie S
03-02-2012, 08:40 AM
where's the carp?

Jay

Lake Mendocino....full of them Jay...I'm in the phone book...you want to come up I have room to put you up!!!

Hatch
03-02-2012, 08:44 AM
Morone saxatilis (Striped Bass) you cast your fly to a suspected spot and the quarry could be a 6 incher or a 60 lber, that keeps ME going !! The grab is awesome no matter.
HATCH

Scott V
03-02-2012, 10:27 AM
Other = bluegills. Nothing beats a big old bluegill on a tiny little fly rod. That is probably the kid in me.

Dabalone
03-02-2012, 11:46 PM
Stripers, can't imagine it getting any better than a school of 8 to 12 pound stripers competing to eat your clouser. Unfortunately the way the striper population has been going those large wolfpacks of hungry linesides are getting fewer and further in between.

Troutstalker55B
03-03-2012, 02:29 AM
I chose “other” as I live to present a fly to the almighty Oncorhynchus mykiss aquilarum – The Eagle Lake strain rainbow, a native trout to Northern California. When it comes to browns it’s all about MT for me, night fishing, swinging the green zonker, “pop” the mouse down the lane, or feeding them the hopper with just your leader out in the afternoon. There is great chrome in Oregon; my friend Marty Sheppard http://www.littlecreekoutfitters.com/ shared some water and tactics with me near Mt. Hood back in 92 when we both were riding snowboards professionally, I got into some nice summer fish on the skater back in the day.
Thanks for the poll Adam,
Jon.