PDA

View Full Version : A/R report

Charlie Gonzales
03-01-2012, 08:30 PM
Fished deep and big for nada. There were a few fish working the may flies though.

Frank Roepke
03-03-2012, 10:42 PM
We hit Sailor Bar tonight, party of 4. 3 guys nymphing and I was swinging. 2 of the nymphers hooked 2 fish, but didn’t land them, and I had another tug.
This is my 3rd Tug in the last week and I haven’t hooked them. Not sure if I’m ripping it out of their mouths of what, but I can’t seem to set the hook. I had much better luck last year on the Shad. I will say they have been light hits and checked the fly to see if there was moss on them, but the flies were clean. One fly took a good beating. Also 2 of the tugs were during the middle of the swing.
Any Suggestions?

Thanks,
Frank

EricO
03-04-2012, 12:22 AM
I can only wish for a tug, tap or bump.

Last 8 outings...nada. Hoping for a good half pounder run this spring.

Glad you at least saw a few fish hooked.

EO

James C
03-04-2012, 12:29 AM
Frank,
Carry a loop in your hand and let the fish take it out. They have to turn with the fly, then set low and to the bank, but nice and easy. You can also set your drag really light and skip the loop. In general, you shouldn't set the hook until that fish has committed and pulled line off your reel.
You'll get yours. It sounds like you're getting more grabs then most. It's winter steelheading and it's never easy.
Jimmy James

Frank Roepke
03-04-2012, 10:49 AM
Excellent pointers Jimmy, thanks! Fritz and I will try to hit it tonight

Frank

Charlie S
03-04-2012, 12:19 PM
Another idea, instead of a raised rod strike, use a strip strike. And, try tying the same size fly on one or two size larger hooks, this has worked for me in the past.

James C
03-04-2012, 12:45 PM
Charlie makes some great points.

If you're tying tubes and flies with stinger hooks, the Octopus bait hooks in a size 2 are excellent hookers. You could go as small as a size 4, but you don't need to. These hooks are slightly bent, so that even if you pull the fly out of the fishes mouth, it has a chance of sticking. This happens a lot if they grab it on the hangdown. Plus, the Octopus hooks are crazy sharp and you can change them out quickly if they get dulled up on a rock.
Jimmy James

Frank Roepke
03-07-2012, 09:06 PM
Fished with Dave and Fritz (My Son) Sunrise area tonight. I landed 2, Dave 1, and Fritz 1. Dave and I were swinging, Fritz was nymphing. Lots of fish hitting the surface after the sun went down. This is the second time I have seen the water come alive this last week after the last 15 mins till dark. Some half lbs, but mostly smaller trout. If the conditions are the same this Sunday I'm going to switch to a floating line and swing dry's. it's worth a try.

Frank

Mark Kranhold
03-07-2012, 09:26 PM
Sounds like a fun time. I think lots of those fish rising are the hatchery releases, DFG has been dropping off truck loads throughout the river. I bet the stripers are lovin life.:confused:

Bryan Morgan
03-08-2012, 12:58 PM
A lot of Half Pounder's at the Lower Sunrise area. Hooked 5 day before yesterday and 2 this morning swinging a Soft Hackle. Both wild fish. Great way to start the day.

Adam Grace
03-08-2012, 03:35 PM
I have decided to drive down to Sac tonight to pick up some fishing gear (stored at my folks house in Sac) for my trip next weekend to the Eel. I have now decided to bring my wading gear and spey stuff to go chase after some fun half-pounder action tomorrow morning.

Does anyone want to meet up with me tomorrow morning for a session in the pursuit of half-pounders?

If so send me a PM and we'll see if our schedules coincide.

Frank Roepke
03-11-2012, 08:40 PM
David, Fritz, and I hit Sunrise tonight. No fish till after the sun went down then there was surface activity. Mostly the small stuff but a few half lbs. I switched over to floating line and swung a typical steelhead fly with a Nitro Cadis dropper. I nailed one of the small bows on the dropper.
This Wed I'm bring my 3wt and going dry fly for the last 30mins, should be fun.

Frank

Frank Roepke
03-14-2012, 09:00 PM
5 total in tonights party at Sunrise area. 3 nympher's and 2 swingers. The nymphers took the gold with 2 bows and the swingers struck out. Water was in great condition considering the rain for the last two days.
Sorry no pics,

Frank