PDA

View Full Version : Steelheading in April?

James C
02-28-2012, 10:07 PM
Hello everyone. I've got some time in the third week of April to fish. I'm wondering if there's any streams that fish decently for steelhead that late in the year? I've been told the Upper Rogue can be good in April. Anywhere in CA or OR would be good for me.
thanks
Jimmy James

Ben J
02-28-2012, 10:21 PM
The Smith is open so guides can target downrunners and the Trinity can have some good action on dries mostly for browns and the zillions of hatchery smolts. I spotted a few browns over two feet long gorging on callibaetis and march browns between Big Flat and Pigeon Point a few days ago but unfortunately my presentations spooked the hell out of them... New Zealand Style ... Can't speak for Oregon or the valley rivers but maybe those are better options come April.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-29-2012, 06:51 AM
A lot of our "Valley" rivers have spring run Steelhead and some resident trout in them.

I would try the Lower Yuba, Lower Feather, Lower American and Lower Sacramento Rivers.

This might be a top year for this if we continue to have low water......

Long Steelhead rivers like the Trinity, Klamath and Rogue might have these smaller fish too at that time.