PDA

View Full Version : First Fishing Day in OR, Why did I leave home?

Bruce Berman
02-28-2012, 05:33 PM
(Have to keep the stream name anonymous, sorry. Buddies who told me to fish here might get a bit peeved...) So it's Day 1 of my long-planned Oregon steelhead trip. Nothing in the first nice run, by the time I got to the second run the wind started howling. Speeds were 30-40 mph with gusts to 50. I called it quits for the day after a couple of chuck and duck hours. Then the rain started and it''s heavy enough that it might kill the fishing. Taking off my new waders I learned that they are leaking. Luckily I have a second pair. Good thing The Lord invented scotch!

shawn kempkes
02-28-2012, 08:02 PM
DO YOU WANT SOME CHEESE TO GO WITH THAT WHINE.

At least you are fishing and not in a freaking desert. LOL

Charlie S
02-28-2012, 08:32 PM
Yeah, what Shawn said Bruce. Hang in there, it isn't all posies and roses up there like it is here in California...at least we're going to get some rain. Hopefully enough to really give the coastal fish a chance to get all the way up to spawn without being molested. Closed waters don't seem to deter some people over there.

Bruce Berman
02-28-2012, 09:05 PM
Shawn, I was wondering if some goober would say exactly that. You didn't let me down. Ya gotta admit, though, that the leaking waders are a bummer, and a lousy ending to a less-than-stellar day. Yeah, I hear ya, Charlie. Now just trying to anticipate.

Tim P
02-29-2012, 10:02 AM
Man up and get back out there and start fishing Bruce. :tear:

All us Internet lurkers didn't fire up our browsers from the comfort of our homes only to be disappointed by a report like this. :angry: :D

A little bit of breeze never hurt anybody - don't you have some jigs buried in your pack underneath all the bobbers? :p :D

As for the waders, you should return them for full price; but only after you have completely worn through the soles first. :D :D :D :D :D

rotorhead902
02-29-2012, 12:15 PM
I used to think stage 3 hypothermia was a necessary component of Steelhead fishing. For a time, I would consider standing in the river...before putting on the waders...just to speed up the catching process. It always seemed like I caught the best fish when fair weather sailors would be miserable. My wife thought and stills does, that I'm nuts. Course she is probably right.

aaron
02-29-2012, 12:17 PM
first world problems

STEELIES/26c3
02-29-2012, 01:54 PM
Aqua Seal is the stuff you need to patch leaky waders.

It actually works!

Sold at fly shops and some hardware stores...

JasonB
02-29-2012, 02:41 PM
(Have to keep the stream name anonymous, sorry. Buddies who told me to fish here might get a bit peeved...) So it's Day 1 of my long-planned Oregon steelhead trip. Nothing in the first nice run, by the time I got to the second run the wind started howling. Speeds were 30-40 mph with gusts to 50. I called it quits for the day after a couple of chuck and duck hours. Then the rain started and it''s heavy enough that it might kill the fishing. Taking off my new waders I learned that they are leaking. Luckily I have a second pair. Good thing The Lord invented scotch!

I was going to say "welcome to Oregon" but then I noticed that it didn't even start raining until part way through the day...
cheers,
JB