PDA

View Full Version : How to match the underwater current

Sammy
02-28-2012, 03:48 PM
I've been pretty much dwelling on this lately. Since the surface water is typically flowing at a higher rate then the water where the fish are, what can you do to match that speed. (particularly when indicator nymphing)

Adam Grace
02-28-2012, 04:03 PM
Some people have moved away from a tapered leaders when indicator nymphing, towards one straight piece of mono. The fat tapered end of tapered leaders can act like a sail and "catch" the higher current speed at the top of the water column, resulting in drag, or pulling the fly faster than the current . A thinner straight piece of mono will allow the faster currents on top will flow easier around without creating more drag and allow your fly to drift at speeds closer to the bottom current speed.

You can also mend and control your fly line as well as possible. Mending is very important. Some of the best nymphers that I know, like Hogan Brown, have learned to control their fly lines so well that the majority of their drifts match the current speed more often which results in better presentation and more chances for a fish to bite.

If you combine a better leader system and more control over your fly line then I bet you will see a great improvement in your nymphing technique.

Woodman
02-28-2012, 08:52 PM
Ditto to what adam said. Mending is the key, and the straight mono from the indicator is a big help too. If there's nothing near the surface (indi or butt end of leader) pulling the flies downstream they will be much more likely to drift naturally.

Also, don't worry about picking up your indicator a little when you mend. Better to move the flies a couple of inches at depth one time in the interests of removing all the drag from line and indicator.

Another tip a guide taught me, when indicator fishing from a drift boat, set the hook downstream...i.e. in the direction the flies are moving past the fish. Pretty simple when you think about it. Really improved my hookups one day.

Sammy
02-29-2012, 12:08 AM
thanks guys. I probably need to just go fishing so I can stop thinking about all my flaws, but this is good advice.

I bought a dvd at the show in pleasanton. They stuck a rod into the river standing straight up with a bunch of ribbons tied to it. As the depth increased the ribbons were less effected by the current. Then, at the bottom, the ribbons were actually drifting in the opposite direction...straight up stream. And this was in a section of river that from above, looked like all would be flowing down river. Totally freaked me out for some reason

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-29-2012, 06:45 AM
Going out once and while with a top fly fishing guide is one way to really learn a lot.

I was out some time back on the Lower Yuba River with guide Keith Kaneko and I learned some things from him that were very important.

Much of what I have learned was from fishing with anglers and guides who were much better than myself....

Ralph
02-29-2012, 09:00 AM
thanks guys. I probably need to just go fishing so I can stop thinking about all my flaws, but this is good advice.

I bought a dvd at the show in pleasanton. They stuck a rod into the river standing straight up with a bunch of ribbons tied to it. As the depth increased the ribbons were less effected by the current. Then, at the bottom, the ribbons were actually drifting in the opposite direction...straight up stream. And this was in a section of river that from above, looked like all would be flowing down river. Totally freaked me out for some reason

The slower the current, the finer the substrate. In still water the bottom is silt or sand and in fast water the bottom is cobbles or boulders. Look for abrupt changes in the color or size of stuff on the river bed. This is a FAR better indicator of what the river is doing down there than looking for seams, eddies, etc on the surface.

What was the name of the video? I'd like to check it out.

Sammy
02-29-2012, 09:18 AM
Ralph it's part of a series of DVD's called "The Underwater World of Trout" and this particular DVD is titled "Feeding Lies"

http://www.underwateroz.com/pg3_feeding_lies.html

Frankly, it's completely twisted my brain around and now I feel like I have to change everything even though I catch fish. :) I picked up several other DVD's from the series and they're all extremely informative.

Thanks for the advice

Sammy
02-29-2012, 11:28 AM
Not nearly as good as bugs of the underworld though ;)

Ralph
02-29-2012, 12:13 PM
Not nearly as good as bugs of the underworld though ;)

Ha! Thanks.
I've enjoyed Ozzie's stuff. Wish he would find another narrator though :-). We used to do the flagging on a stick drill in our classes. It gives a pretty graphic representation of what those currents are doing through the water column and why it can be so friggin hard to get a drag free drift with a nymph.

Sammy
02-29-2012, 02:50 PM
Ha! Thanks.
I've enjoyed Ozzie's stuff. Wish he would find another narrator though :-). We used to do the flagging on a stick drill in our classes. It gives a pretty graphic representation of what those currents are doing through the water column and why it can be so friggin hard to get a drag free drift with a nymph.

I have to agree that the narration is really bad. It would be a huge upgrade to get someone with a little energy. ah well

Dave Neal
02-29-2012, 11:19 PM
Sammy you bring up a good question.

I like what the others have added as well…

Regarding how to match speed of the water where the fish holding - while indicator nymphing:

Generally, I like to see the indicator drift slower than the foam line around it. And I like my leader set-up so there’s nothing but tippet (or thin line anyway) below my indicator.

If it’s deep and/or fast water – I’m a fan of the “turn-over” and “stack” mends early on to set up a good drag free drift – sometimes you don’t need as much weight as you think.

One reason tight-line/high sticking/indicatorless nymphing (I’m resisting calling it Czech Nymphing out of respect to old time Nor Cal Anglers) Whew… is so deadly, is a heavily weighted leader, of a thin diameter, can effectively “slice” through water current with less drag while sufficient weight on the leader (or flies) will slow down the drift speed – hopefully in the realm of the current speed where the fish are feeding! It’s easier to demonstrate than explain – and I’m already wordy…

This last point should not raise debate about indicator vs. indicatorless nymphing, that really should be a decision based on the TYPE of water you are fishing (how far away the fish are, how long a drift you need etc etc) not whether or not one technique is better or more sporting than other. Both techniques have valid points, and disadvantages.

Happy fishing...

YEM
03-01-2012, 08:50 AM
The slower the current, the finer the substrate. In still water the bottom is silt or sand and in fast water the bottom is cobbles or boulders. Look for abrupt changes in the color or size of stuff on the river bed. This is a FAR better indicator of what the river is doing down there than looking for seams, eddies, etc on the surface.

Very interesting. I'll keep it in mind, thanks!

Sammy
03-01-2012, 12:00 PM
Somebody is a Phish fan. @YEM

Terry Imai
03-01-2012, 09:42 PM
It's funny when I hear some people state that dry fly fishing is "the most difficult" of all forms of fly fishing because to see a top nymph fisherman operate especially without an indicator is a true art form. Nymph fishing is a "numbers" game which means the person who can present their bugs in the correct zone for an extended time will generally have more hookups than someone who cannot control their flies. A beginning nymph fisherman may only get a decent drift of a 1-3' with their cast while an expert may extend their perfect drift for 15-20'. If you do the math of being able to keep their flies in the "zone" over the course of a day of fishing will reflect in the number of hookups. Another important factor is being able to read the fish's subtle takes. I have seen a beginning nymph fisherman literally have their indicator go underwater and actually surge upstream and then argue with me that it wasn't a "take" while a real pro will just notice something twitchy or nervous in the water column and hook a fish.

There was a story of Ralph Cutter was in his scuba at the bottom of a river and observing Lisa upstream casting into a section of the river. After a finite number of cast, Ralph came to the shore and asked her of how many takes did she have? She said that she had around 4-6 takes out of 20 casts but Ralph actually saw around 12 fish take her bugs and expel them before she noticed the take and could set the hook.

Bottom line is no one becomes a top nymph fisherman overnight and you only get good by paying your dues and fish on some water that has good trout populations where you can miss a few shots during the course of the day but still get into some fish. The East Walker is an awesome fishery to get your nymphing skills down.

Good luck...

Sammy
03-01-2012, 11:09 PM
Funny, that's where I'm heading next @Terry

Something I will be focused on for sure.