PDA

View Full Version : Montana Advice

ownfl4g
02-27-2012, 11:25 AM
So this summer, or early fall, I will be embarking on a road trip to Montana, Washington, and down through Oregon. We have family in Deer Lodge MT, and will be visiting them for about 3-4 days. My dad is up there in age so hes not able to do any real hiking or anything (doesn't mean I wont once or twice).

Basically, I am looking for any recommendations on where to stop and camp for a night or two between here and Montana, as well as any recommendations for guides on any of the close rivers near Missoula.

I am also really looking for a good lake to float tube on while he fishes from the bank in the Missoula area as well.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Jed Peters
02-28-2012, 08:01 AM
Without a doubt, the best missoula fly guide is Chris McAdams.

I've fished 2 days w/ him, and he was fantastic.

I was back later in the year, and two other people independently offered up as well that Chris was the best guide in the Missoula area.

What kind of fishing do you want to do? Just get on fish? Dry fly? 'cater fish?

Let me know and I can direct you to some missoula area rivers that are fantastic.

He is not an outfitter, so you will have to book him through someone....I booked him through Grizzly Hackle.

ownfl4g
02-28-2012, 08:14 AM
Thanks for the info, I am alright with just getting on some fish, some on a dry would be nice but its not make or break anything.

Mike O
02-28-2012, 08:51 AM
This is a great new article about fishing that area.

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/articles/journal/2012/journal20120227.php

Kneedeep
02-28-2012, 10:27 AM
Good one here as well...........scroll through to the article.
http://mtflyfishmag.com/index.html

Jed Peters
02-28-2012, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the info, I am alright with just getting on some fish, some on a dry would be nice but its not make or break anything.

You can get on fish just about anywhere in that state...

Do you want to walk n wade? Out of a boat?

highly recommend hitting the Missouri for a couple of days; then in missoula on the way to deer lodge the bitterroot, blackfoot, and clark fork are awesome.

There is also south of deer lodge in the twin bridges area, where you can do Jefferson/Beaverhead/bill hole.

Or drive an extra hour east to bozeman and get all that as well.

Really, your call.

ownfl4g
02-28-2012, 11:21 AM
I plan on scheduling a guide with a drift boat atleast one day and will wade the rest of the time.

I am also looking for any recommendations on campgrounds in the area if any of you have stayed at them.

Thanks for the information! very helpful.

Woodman
02-28-2012, 08:58 PM
I second the Missouri suggestion. My dad is 85 and we fish it every year. Get a guide and he can fish from the boat entirely.

Clark Fork downstream of Missoula has some hogs. Again, get a guide if you can to maximize your time. Rock Creek, east of Missoula is fishable on your own. Paved and then dirt road follows it for miles. Stop at Rock Creek Mercantile to get advice and flies.

Bitterroot is another option with a good guide.

Enjoy!

ownfl4g
02-28-2012, 09:26 PM
I second the Missouri suggestion. My dad is 85 and we fish it every year. Get a guide and he can fish from the boat entirely.

Clark Fork downstream of Missoula has some hogs. Again, get a guide if you can to maximize your time. Rock Creek, east of Missoula is fishable on your own. Paved and then dirt road follows it for miles. Stop at Rock Creek Mercantile to get advice and flies.

Bitterroot is another option with a good guide.

Enjoy!

Thanks! I am really leaning towards the Missouri as our first stop.

McAdams
03-09-2012, 09:35 AM
Thanks Jed !! http://www.grizzlyhackle.com/

McAdams
03-09-2012, 09:36 AM
Without a doubt, the best missoula fly guide is Chris McAdams.

I've fished 2 days w/ him, and he was fantastic.

I was back later in the year, and two other people independently offered up as well that Chris was the best guide in the Missoula area.

What kind of fishing do you want to do? Just get on fish? Dry fly? 'cater fish?

Let me know and I can direct you to some missoula area rivers that are fantastic.

He is not an outfitter, so you will have to book him through someone....I booked him through Grizzly Hackle.
http://www.grizzlyhackle.com/

Jed Peters
03-12-2012, 11:02 AM
Wow Chris, good to see you on here.

Those BC fish are insane!

I've only gotten one (adult) on the swing this year, but am up around 50 nymphing for steelies.

I'm most proud of the one small adult I got tho!