PDA

View Full Version : Any steelhead book recommendations?

Ryan
02-25-2012, 10:51 AM
I'd like to do some reading up on steelhead to take a bit of the mystery out of these illusive fish. Anyone have any good book recommendations?

And Bill if you happen to read this I took your advice and hired Carlo to guide me and that was money well spent to say the least! I'd strongly reccomend Carlo Bongio to anyone interested in swinging for steelhead.

royewest
02-25-2012, 12:54 PM
I've enjoyed Tray Combs' "Steelhead Fly Fishing" and Dec Hogan's "A Passion for Steelhead." They kind of complement each other.

That said, I suggest you visit your local shop and have a seat and look through these and the one or two other current titles and figure out which makes most sense for you.

James C
02-25-2012, 12:58 PM
Hands down, favorite Steelhead book is Lani Waller's A Steelheader's Way. Also check out Dec Hogan's A Passion for Steelhead, which is just as informative and enjoyable. Both books focus more on Spey fishing for steelhead, but are must reads. John Larimer's book is also good and covers more of the indie rig game. Trey Comb's book, Steelhead Fly Fishing is highly considered a classic.
Enjoy,
Jimmy James

Black Cloud
02-25-2012, 09:56 PM
Trey Combs has two books, Steelhead Fly Fishing and Flies-1976 and Steelhead Fly Fishing -1991 both are excellent, also Advanced Fly Fishing for Steelhead by Deke Meyer.You will have more information and history than you know what to do with.