PDA

View Full Version : Mexican Freetailed Bats...

coolrivertx
02-24-2012, 12:47 PM
...by the millions roost beneath bridges here in central TX, like Congress Ave. in Austin. I can't help but wonder if a few succumb to the elements and fall to the water. Might need to work on a "bat" fly? Kind of like a "Rat", with spun deer hair body, and bucktail wings. I 'll let you know what transpires. Brett

Darian
02-24-2012, 09:29 PM
Hmmm,.... Interesting thought. I'm not sure what the dimensions of a Free tail Bat are but it seems to me that you wouldn't want to design one that has the wings extended. It must look like a glider.... :lol: Have you given any thought to how the wings fold when the bat flops on the water :?:

With all if the synthetics and foam available, I'll bet you'll be able to come up a good version.... :D

coolrivertx
02-26-2012, 11:29 AM
Hey Darian, thanks for the thoughts. I was going to start with the "KISS" principle, and see where it leads. My original idea is deer hair and buck tail. I think I am looking for the plop factor when the fly hits the water. I will keep you posted. Thanks, Brett

Mike O
02-26-2012, 04:19 PM
Hey...the name fits!!!

http://flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw/11199fotw.php

Mike

coolrivertx
02-27-2012, 12:45 PM
looks interesting, thanks for sharing, Mike. I'm still thinking modified "KDM Rat", which I tied earlier today. Won't be much fun to cast, but if it works??????

Ben J
02-27-2012, 10:56 PM
How about an oversized Ska-opper style bat popper? :D