PDA

View Full Version : Decent morning....

Joe Mateas
02-22-2012, 06:52 PM
I was able to get away for half the day this morning so I decided to hit the American for a bit. I was in Sac. to drop off a rod this morning anyway so I figured I would take advantage of the local rescources. I got on the water about 8:30 and started swinging the riffles at Sunrise with no luck or fish sightings for about 1 1/2-2hrs so I decided to switch to nymphs. Still nothing for while so I figured I'd head back to the car and go to Sailor, but on the way back I spotted a pod of 3-5 fish in a spot we checked out last weekend. On my second drift I got hit by the largest in the group, he took me on a few good runs only to jump off a few minutes later. I watched the water and saw him go back to the group and start feeding again. I tied on a different nymph and on my first drift through the pod he hit again taking me under a snag and breaking off. Tied a new rig up and drifted through the run again and after a few I hooked up again only to pe pulled straight to the snag and broke off again. After a new rig and a few more casts I get another hit and I'm hooked up good this time. It lasted about 10min max and a nice fat 25" hatchery(would have been great to get a wild but I'm not going to complain) fish came to the net. I was stoked, my first good size Steelie on the fly, I went with Lance Gray last weekend on the Valley Steelhead Tour, learned a bunch and it payed off. It was a great fight on the 6wt....... Hooked up 4 times, landed 1, and ended the morning with a stop at Kiene's for a few things, life is good!

http://i317.photobucket.com/albums/mm378/ih8calaws/joes001-13.jpg

Scott V
02-22-2012, 07:04 PM
Nice fish and good job on staying where the fish were. A lot of people would have left after losing a fish.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-22-2012, 07:28 PM
Wonderful....good for you.

Now you are totally hooked.

EricO
02-23-2012, 12:15 AM
Yep, I'd say that qualifies as a decent morning.

Nice fat fish. Great colors to boot.

EO

Jed Peters
02-23-2012, 06:25 AM
Pretty fish! Nice work!

jbird
02-23-2012, 08:12 AM
Love the way you composed this shot! Rod, fish, net. All submerged in clear water. Perfect!

Bruce Berman
02-23-2012, 08:37 AM
Yeah, what JB said. Nice fish and nice shot!

Adam Grace
02-23-2012, 08:44 AM
Nice steelie! very clean :)

Joe Mateas
02-23-2012, 02:41 PM
Thanks guys..... Right on JB I was pretty happy with the shot and didn't even plan it, thats just how everything got put down when I landed the fish. I've been getting real interested in photography lately, ordered my first SLR, it's getting dropped off tomorrow so I'm hoping to start posting some nice shots soon.

jbird
02-23-2012, 06:01 PM
Oh no! Youre catching the steelhead bug AND getting a good camera? Have you lost your mind?? LOL. No worries, I lost mine a long time ago.

Congrats on the camera and hope to see some sweet pics from ya!

Sierrapacific
02-23-2012, 10:30 PM
Glad the tour paid off. Beautiful Steelie. It was great getting to know you, and hope
you catch a bunch more.

Greg Vinci

Joe Mateas
02-24-2012, 06:45 AM
It paid off for sure, you guys did a great job showing us the ropes out there Greg, thanks!