PDA

View Full Version : My new Canon 7D

Adam Grace
02-21-2012, 11:24 PM
I just ordered my new SLR today. I ordered the Canon 7D! I'm excited!

Do any of you guys shoot with this camera?

jbird
02-22-2012, 05:31 AM
Im shooting with the Nikon D7000 which is, you could say, the nikon vesion of the canon 7D. What lens/lens package are you having?

http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon_EOS_7D-vs-Nikon_D7000

Adam Grace
02-22-2012, 08:22 AM
That Nikon D7000 is nice, I sell it quite often there is an intermediate - serious Nikon photographer. I am a Canon guy but I respect Nikon's DSLRs, their p&s cameras are less respectable thought IMHO.

I already have lenses, I just ordered the body.

My accessory arsenal contains:
50mm f/1.8 Canon
55-250mm IS Canon
17-50 f/2.8 Tamron
10-17mm Tamron Fish Eye
580EXII flash
misc cards, filters and such

I don't zoom or shoot wildlife much therefore I own a shorter range (cheaper) lens. I love my fish eye, it's fun ;) My 17-50 f/2.8 is my workhorse.

jbird
02-22-2012, 04:52 PM
Sounds like a fun arsenal of glass Adam. Tamron makes a fine product and ALMOST affordable :-)

Looking forward to your photos.

Adam Grace
02-22-2012, 08:00 PM
I look forward to posting them once I my camera arrives :)

Steve Cali
02-22-2012, 11:30 PM
Hey Adam,

Nice and congrats on that camera body. I'm sure you'll put it to good use.

I have been wanting a fish eye for a long time now. Do you get a lot of use out of it? I figure with CS4 and the fish eye lens I can tweak to correct or have some fun with the perspective...going to pull the plug soon.

Anyways, congrats and I look forward to seeing what you do with that new camera body.

SC

EricW
02-23-2012, 12:38 PM
55-250mm IS Canon
17-50 f/2.8 Tamron

I've got that Tamron lens on a 40D and also love it. Put it on a friend's 7D in Nov comparing to his 16-35 F/2.8L $$ lens. Tamron was generally sharper throughout but a little duller in color. I preferred the Tamron so you should be good there.

We also messed with my 55-250 IS F/4-5.6 and his 70-200 F/4L (non-IS). While the IS and a little extra reach is nice, his 70-200 F/4 smoked it across the board. Not sure it's worthy of the 7D (keep in mind I think my lens is a dub with a slight back focus). I wish I'd bit the bullet for a few hundred more and got the L which is crazy sharp and really fast focusing.

I'd like to know how you like the video shooting. It's only reason I'm considering a body upgrade.

Flyfisher70
02-27-2012, 03:49 PM
I just ordered my new SLR today. I ordered the Canon 7D! I'm excited!

Do any of you guys shoot with this camera?

Yup! I happen to own two 7D's. I use to have an older model 5D and ended up selling it to fund the second 7D for my wife. We really enjoy this model and really have no cons as of yet, one body is about two years old and the other was just purchased back in November 2011.

Adam Grace
03-01-2012, 10:55 PM
Here's a shot with my new 7D with my Fish Eye lens:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v238/flyguyag/IMG_0161.jpg

I love having fun with my fish eye lens :)

Scott V
03-02-2012, 10:25 AM
Now that's funny looking Adam. But cute at the same time.

Question Adam, what mode is it that makes pictures look like tiny little models. I hope that makes sense. It kind of blurs out the outer edge of a photo and some how makes the main focus point look fake.

Loren E
03-02-2012, 12:14 PM
Now that's funny looking Adam. But cute at the same time.

Question Adam, what mode is it that makes pictures look like tiny little models. I hope that makes sense. It kind of blurs out the outer edge of a photo and some how makes the main focus point look fake.

Hey Scott, this is not a mode per say but rather effective use of shallow depth of field. The outer edges are out of focus not because they are towards the outside of the frame, but because they are significantly behind the subject. This shot is with a fisheye lens, which is extremely wide and focuses extremely close, so likely the dog's nose was very close...maybe an inch or two...from the camera lens for this shot. Because focus was locked on the subject at only inches or maybe a foot from the lens, the background is then out of the plane of focus because it is 10 or 12 feet back there and the depth of field is not deep enough to get stuff from a few inches all the way to 12 feet all in focus, so you see the subject in crisp focus and the background blurred, which makes for a neat effect. Hope that makes sense.

Flyfisher70
03-03-2012, 02:40 AM

It's not a mode, it's actually the lens that makes that effect possible, the lens are called tilt shift lens. Hope this help you out

Adam Grace
03-06-2012, 03:32 PM
Scott V,

The background is blurry because I used a large aperture in my lens and focussed up close, that is the cause of the blurry background. The bending in the vertical lines is due to the specialized nature of a fish eye lens. I shot this picture in manual mode, there was no special mode used, using a fish eye lens will often produce photos with a similar effect when the subject is close to the lens.

Steve Cali
03-06-2012, 03:42 PM
Hey Scott,

Here ya go:

http://jalopnik.com/5226602/turning-cars-into-toys-tilt+shift-photography-magic

SC