PDA

View Full Version : Heading "North" - Gopro footage

weightforwardfilms
02-21-2012, 10:57 AM
Here's the new Gopro in action, on the way up to shoot for THE GRAB.

http://vimeo.com/user9651240/headingnorth

I adapted the Gopro with the Blurfix 58mm front so I can add 58mm filters to the camera. Adding ND or Polarizers is essential for shooting outside. It helps reduce glare, knocks down the skylight exposure and forces the Gopro to shoot with a longer shutter speed. The longer shutter is essential for getting a little bit of motion blur, reducing the sharp, staccato motion that video is known for.

For anyone that is considering adding the Blurfix filter adapter to their Gopro housing, here's a few issues. Number one, the UV sky filter that comes with the kit is garbage. Don't use it. I did numerous tests with it and it reduces the contrast, color contrast and creates a lot of glowing haze when used outside. This is the opposite of what a UV filter is supposed to do. Second, most 58mm filters will vignette at the widest 170degree frame. I love using a polarizer as much as possible, so I will often shoot on the 127degree frame to accommodate the filter. FYI, all of the footage here was shot with the 127degree lens setting. I think it's plenty wide enough for most situations. Always use a filter with driving shots, to protect the lens on the camera housing.

I was informed recently that you can use any copyrighted music, as long as it's less than 30 seconds long!

Ben Kobrin
02-21-2012, 11:49 AM
That drive takes 4.5 hours from my house, and it feels like about 10...nice to see it done in 90 seconds. And the CHP part was hilarious. Well done.

-Ben

k.hanley
02-21-2012, 01:00 PM
Say hey WFF,

"I was informed recently that you can use any copyrighted music, as long as it's less than 30 seconds long!"

Is that true? I still get conflicting information about the use of copyrighted music. Boy it sure would be great if we could get a definitive answer on the subject. There's tons of amazing soundtrack out there.

Thanks for any additional info you could provide.

Cheers, Ken

PS: I feel kinda weird calling you WFF ( I know it's an old dude problem).

Jay Murakoshi
02-21-2012, 01:22 PM
WFF,

I'd like to mention to those that aren't really familiar with the new GoPro. The 127 degree is only in 1080p mode. I just made some adjustments to my Hero2, I took a flash mount and mounted the GoPro to the bracket then took my RODE boom mic and plugged it into the camera. I took an old camera case, added the LCD bac and used the correct back for the housing, bored a hole into the frame and plug the mic into the socket. I also replaced the the curved lens and installed a 49mm UV filter, attached to the body.
I will post a photo later this week, I'll have the camera setup at the Pleasanton show this weekend
Jay

weightforwardfilms
02-21-2012, 02:11 PM
Hey Ken. Feel free to call me Jeremy, we do know each other after all.

I saw the "30 second" rule somewhere and talked with a friend of mine who is a magazine editor. He told agreed and said they had cleared this with their attorneys so they could use copyrighted music on their web-based material.

I'll look into it some more, just to triple check.

Jay, I'd really like to see a pic of your rig! Do I understand that your pulled the curved "lens" out of the Gopro housing and then permanently added on a 49mm UV? What brand of filters are you using? I'd love to get a polarizer that doesn't vignette in the 170degree world.

thanks,
Jeremy

weightforwardfilms
02-21-2012, 02:33 PM
Thanks for the kind words Ben! I wish that drive only took me 4.5 hours. I'd call that river my backyard.
thanks
Jeremy

Jay Murakoshi
02-21-2012, 02:42 PM
Jeremy

I took a linear polorizer filter that I use to use before I dropped and cracked it. I cut it down to a 2 1/2" sq and made a ugly looking mount. But had I thought about it earlier, I would've attached it to the camera body with a bead of silicon just like I did the UV i attached.
I'm using an expensive Nikon UV filter, that was the only thing they had in stock. But check Promaster, they have less expensive ones in the 49mm to 52mm.
I have a BIG round polycarbonite plastic lens on my old HeroHD to where I can shoot 1080p at 170 and not get the vignette effect.

I just posted a photo, not the best set up for a photo but you can see what it looks like

Jay

k.hanley
02-21-2012, 07:19 PM
Jeremy thanks for the update bud. I have my fingers crossed that your editor is correct.

I also enjoyed the segment with the "patrol car" -- put a smile on my mug.

Cheers, Ken