PDA

View Full Version : Freakin' About Time!

Bruce Berman
02-18-2012, 10:04 PM
Started steelheading in '02, and every year since then put in at least one day a season fishing a gorgeous coastal for fresh steel. Hooked one about my 9th time out there, but it beat me up and broke my line. Once, when I told a local gear guy that I'd never landed a fish there, he said, "Maybe it's time you fished somewhere else?" Anyhow, it took a few years to learn to fish on a falling flow and then what the idea cfs range was for this coastal. Still no luck using glo bugs. Finally put the eggs away last week, since I was losing them in the trees, rip rap and snagging bottom, and started chucking a red and yellow tube fly. This was about my 15th attempt on this coastal. Hooked and landed this somewhat skinny 11 pound hen, only to learn from a friend that it was a downstreamer. CRAP! Finally get my fish and it's less than optimal. Once again, the gods have tugged on my beard!

JGB
02-18-2012, 10:45 PM
Glad you have been rewarded for your time and effort. Is it a little different than catching them on the south fork of the Klamath?

Looks like a steelhead to me, downstream, upstream,...whateva!

JGB

Ben J
02-18-2012, 11:40 PM
Hey Bruce-
I was one of the spey fisherman in that group of 3 that indirectly "convinced" you to swing the fly... Was very stoked that you got into this fish. This stream is an amazing place to fish and i was so stoked that after years of gunning for it you finally got your fish... Every once in a while, you gotta trust in the swing!

Now you gotta practice with that spey rod!

Don Powell
02-19-2012, 12:54 AM
Doesn't look skinny to me...
California steelhead are becoming increasingly more rare and I would categorize that one as a trophy!!!
Congratulations and persist... anyone with your level of dedication is going to find the reward a true "steelheader" seeks!!!

Adam Grace
02-19-2012, 01:34 AM
Congratulations Bruce!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-19-2012, 07:03 AM
Is was great you were able to get a photo of it.......

James C
02-19-2012, 07:21 AM
That is a Steelhead my friend. A well earned one at that. Congratulations. There's more out there and they're all worth the wait.

NCL
02-19-2012, 08:37 AM
Regardlees rather it was upstream or downstream that is a nice fish.

bubzilla
02-19-2012, 01:33 PM
It does look like she's already spawned, but you have to remember that winter fish will come in, spawn, and head out in a matter of days on coastal streams. I had a gear guide tell me many years ago about how he had not infrequently caught downer fish on the Chetco that still had sea lice! Point being, I wouldn't let that fact take any of the joy out of your accomplishment. I am pretty sure it has not reduced anyone's envy!

jigger
02-19-2012, 06:58 PM
Big congrats!
Retire the red and yellow tube fly, hang it up in a prominent place. Makes sense you had been fishing egg patterns since roe and fish pills are what the majority are caught on in those rivers. Those coastals are tough. See em roll but can't get em to bite. Very tough with a fly.
I say the adipose fin and the coastal stream more than make up for the downstream. Enjoy your sweet catch. Now you have the confidence you need to get em more consistently.

Bruce Berman
02-20-2012, 12:39 PM
Thanks, guys. Yeah, I'm jazzed about it, but guess I just want it all. Anyhow, I'm heading north in a few days to fish the big OR, and happily I had this success just before that trip. Now I'll be able to swing with confidence!

jayclarkflyfishing
02-20-2012, 05:56 PM
Congratulations Bruce! That is a fine fish from a spectacular creek. I am very happy for you as I know how much this means to you. Nice job and I hope you have continued success in OR. Shangri La awaits!

Jay

jersey
02-20-2012, 11:44 PM
Bruce,

You got the pretty girl to dance!

Well done.

STEELIES/26c3
02-21-2012, 06:32 AM
Good going Bruce...

Nice to meet you on the AR and at McD's... (red-shouldered hawk... I'm pretty sure that was you...)

I just got back from OR and had a fantastic time with the steelies up there.

Makes me wonder why I live in CA...

I caught more than enough fish to satisfy my addiction and feel like an accomplished stlhedr ><)))> yet not so many I didn't have time to think about how to do it better and/or differently on the next river/run...

Steelheading is a lifelong pursuit and progression. Much if not most of the joy is in the discovery process.

Congrats!
Mark