PDA

View Full Version : wax your ferrules

DougM
02-18-2012, 04:58 PM
it makes much easier to separate the sections when you quit for the day.

FISHEYE
02-18-2012, 05:39 PM
It also helps to keep them from coming apart when casting.

Don Powell
02-18-2012, 07:52 PM
Put it behind your knees and pull...
That having failed, put the stuck sections over a bowl of water with ice in it- the male section should contract (as any self respecting male would do) and voila- the stuck sections should come apart quite nicely

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-18-2012, 09:15 PM
After all these years and hundreds of stuck ferrules we had one that would not come apart the other day.

We did the hot/cold thing to it too.

We cut the rod up near the ferrule to get it apart.

I have had people bring in lots of stuck rods that we have gotten apart too.

__________________________________________________ _______________________

I did see an old 9' #9 line 2 piece Fenwick fiberglass rod up in Canada at an old Atlantic Salmon fishing lodge that was stuck together many years ago.

The old angler left it hanging on the wall with a note underneath it saying that you could use it if you needed a back up rod while you were at the lodge.

Slice
02-18-2012, 10:03 PM
Interesting, I actually have not thought about a stuck ferrule in years. My first fly rod, fibergalss, had a metal ferrule that would stick pretty bad. I also shot the tip off of alot of graphite rods but neither of these issues have come up in years. I imagine because manufactuers tolerances are getting tighter, even on the value engineered rods.

Does waxing your ferrules introduce sand and dirt?

DougM
02-18-2012, 10:25 PM
not if you use CLEAN (new, unused) household (canning) wax, echo recomends this for their spey rods as well, NO taping.

Don Powell
02-19-2012, 12:43 AM
you are going to encounter this problem...
I was delighted when Bob Meiser sent a package to me to deal with this problem- the contents of the package included a square of coarse gentle abrasive material to effectively remove old paraffin (wax) to be used regularly after multiple uses and a small chunk of wax to reapply after cleaning as well as cotton tipped swabs to remove dirt, sand within the female cavity...
You just have to remember to maintain the ferrules regularly... kinda like we all know to do with our automobiles!
I must contribute that I had a stuck ferrule on a 10' rod once after fishing the Gaspe for a week and no one- guide, local fly shop could separate the stuck sections...
Because I couldn't fit the stuck sections into my rod case I left the rod. The outfitter sent me the two pieces, in a long postal cardboard tube with apologies...
That is the time I utilized the bowl of ice and water to shrink the male ferrule and was able to take it apart.
Regular maintenance should prevent these issues...

jcsesica
02-19-2012, 03:55 PM
My Grandfather taught us to always role the male ferrule on your face next to your nostril. Just enough oil there to prevent any problems on the river.

john
02-19-2012, 05:18 PM
I've found that if you loosen up the ferrules at the end of each day, the odds of a stuck ferrule decrease substantally.