PDA

View Full Version : New Exciting Waterproof Camera!!!

Adam Grace
02-15-2012, 03:58 PM
Check out the new Canon waterproof camera!:

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/digital_cameras/powershot_d20

http://usa.canon.com/CUSA/assets/app/images/cameras/powershot/PS_D20/profile/d20_586x186.gif

In my near 7 years of selling digital cameras, this is BY FAR the most feature-loaded waterproof digital camera EVER!!!!!

High quality low-light sensor, full Optical Image Stabilization, and full HD 1080p video, and much more!!!

If you need/want one and can afford $350 jump on it!!!

Scott V
02-15-2012, 04:57 PM
When will they add the feature to allow me to leave the lens open for as long as I want in a waterproof camera? Or did I miss that feature?

Adam Grace
02-15-2012, 06:23 PM
No waterproof camera has a feature like that, hell no real point and shoot camera has that ability. That feature is called "bulb," and you primarily find that feature on D-SLRs and more advanced series like compact system cameras like the Olympus PEN or Sony NEX series. Canon does offer a long shutter mode that can keep the shutter open for up to 15 seconds, which in my opinion is well long enough for what you may want to be doing, if that's not long enough for you then you might as well be shooting with a DSLR!

I have been around digital cameras for a long time now. I have been waiting for someone to make a waterproof camera with a good low-light sensor and optical image stabilization. Nobody has gotten close to these specifications of this new Canon!

Cmcculloch
02-16-2012, 12:53 AM
Adam, Thanks for posting this. Do you know if these are now in stock at local Best Buy stores? If not now, when?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-16-2012, 07:31 AM
I have the "old" version of this Canon Digital WP P&S camera......

Being able to take under water video is cool.

kokaneejr
02-16-2012, 09:14 AM
Adam

The Panasonic Lumix has a couple of long exposure modes. AKA Starry Sky. I am between that one and the new Pentax at the moment. Hoping one of those goes on sale:)

Adam Grace
02-16-2012, 03:26 PM
Cmcculloch, Best Buy is not selling this camera, I wish they were.

kokaneejr, the Canon's sensor will handle longer exposures much better because of their CMOS sensor is better than the competition's CCD (plus Canon's long shutter mode will allow you to vary the shutter speed compared to an auto shutter speed in other "night" or "starry sky" modes, TRUST me ;)

If you don't want to take my word, you should look deeper into the important attributes of the cameras.

jbird
02-16-2012, 06:20 PM
When will they add the feature to allow me to leave the lens open for as long as I want in a waterproof camera? Or did I miss that feature?

Are you referring to long exposures? Im not sure if a long exposure would have any use under water. Maybe a slow shutter but not a bulb where you keep it open for more than a few seconds. Most good p&s cameras have a manual mode where you can get a shutter speed of 10, 15 or even 30 seconds.

john
02-16-2012, 06:51 PM
Got back from Belize yesterday. The girl's boyfriend took my Kodak Playsport snorkeling, shot 100+ pics. They're great. $100.

john
02-16-2012, 06:53 PM
PS: Scott, How are you? Wife doing good? Good fishin' to you.

kokaneejr
02-17-2012, 09:24 AM
My problems with all the digitals out there are that they do a fantasitc job of capturing almost everything I want except for that milky way shot when I am camping and backpacking. I always have to bring my D70 along to achieve that.

This one allows for a 15 sec shutter and with the 3200 iso plus being able to push to -2 might work with the improved sensor.

Panasonics fixed 15sec is just to short and 30sec is almost to long (as is the 60 sec shutter), you would get star trails after about 22 secs which is optimum.

Unfortunately the Canon this time is out of my range. I may get the Panasonic and play with the speed and iso this year.

If anybody gets the Canon please post some shots as I would love to se how it does and maybe someday I won't have to pack a DSLR into the wilds:)

Scott V
02-17-2012, 10:28 AM
Are you referring to long exposures? Im not sure if a long exposure would have any use under water. Maybe a slow shutter but not a bulb where you keep it open for more than a few seconds. Most good p&s cameras have a manual mode where you can get a shutter speed of 10, 15 or even 30 seconds.

I don't use the camera underwater, I just need a waterproof camera. I like to take pics of the stars and can't afford more than one camera.

Scott V
02-17-2012, 10:30 AM
PS: Scott, How are you? Wife doing good? Good fishin' to you.

Were both doing great, just wish we could get some more rain and snow. I really need to get out your way one of these days. How all is good on your end. We need to fish together again in another tropical location. Gonna be hard to beat La Paz, especially since they had that bikini show the day we arrived at our hotel.

Cmcculloch
02-20-2012, 11:39 PM
I inquired with Canon and they indicated the anticipated shipping date is May 2012 for the Canon D-20 waterproof camera. This will replace their current model Canon D-10 (waterproof) that retails for $299 and will be phased out. I was also told the D-20 does not have HDR capability.

Ed Wahl
02-21-2012, 12:30 AM
I'm with Scotty on this one. I only require 3 things in a digital fishing camera.

1. It's waterproof.

2. It's waterproof.

3. It's waterproof.

I fished the Point Of No Return river with Phil S. one summer evening and we both carried our digi cams.
When darkness ended our upstream advances we shared notes and noticed that we were only fishing half the stream. Carrying digi cams that weren't waterproof had stopped us from fishing the way the river demanded. We passed up many jumps,swims, and deep wades to protect our precious cameras.
My ever considerate wife took note of my whining and bought me a Pentax W60 for Christmas that year and I've never been happier.

With a camera that is.
Ed

Jay Murakoshi
02-21-2012, 05:14 AM
Hey Scott

Speaking of swim suits, I was just viewing the video that I shot of that event. I can't remember if it was last year or the year before but they had the Miss Baja Contest in La Paz.

Jay

Adam Grace
02-21-2012, 02:48 PM
Ed, there are huge quality differences within the waterproof selection of digital cameras, some suck..... and others are good. I know that people tend to use their cameras more when they enjoy the picture quality and are excited about using them

Jay, the majority of p&s cameras do not allow you to choose shutter speeds,nor do many of them allow for a truly long exposure (anything over say 10seconds).

fishabuoy
02-21-2012, 03:44 PM
Check out the new Canon waterproof camera!:

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/digital_cameras/powershot_d20

http://usa.canon.com/CUSA/assets/app/images/cameras/powershot/PS_D20/profile/d20_586x186.gif

In my near 7 years of selling digital cameras, this is BY FAR the most feature-loaded waterproof digital camera EVER!!!!!

High quality low-light sensor, full Optical Image Stabilization, and full HD 1080p video, and much more!!!

If you need/want one and can afford $350 jump on it!!!

Adam-

Have you actually shot images with this camera yet? How does it compare to the D10's Lens ? My D10 took very very good pics for a P&S - had a great lens. However, my first one leaked - badly (replaced in warranty) on it's third mission, and my replacement one went another year, and it too develop a very minor leak that led to condensation inside the camera, then the LCD ceased working consistently.

I replaced it with the Lumix, which is nice....but it does NOT take the same pics as the D10 - that tiny lens (similar to what this new Canon appears to have) can only go so far in acuity.

Like others have said though...first and foremost a water-proof camera needs to be just that "water-proof". It doesn't matter how good my D10 was, it becomes useless if it gets wet :(.

Bob V

Adam Grace
02-21-2012, 04:12 PM
Bob, this camera hasn't been released yet. I a judging this camera on the "big 3":

The lens - Canon made lenses are high quality
The sensor - this new sensor is the best sensor used in any waterproof camera ever made
The Processor - Canon's processor allows the camera to be relatively fast and responsive, the color reproduction is also very good.

I have used other cameras with those big 3 features, and those big 3 features provide very good pictures, in the p&s world. I am recommending this camera based on the ability of the main components to take high quality pictures.

As far as the leaking is considered, time will tell. I have sold quite a few waterproof cameras over the years and every model has had issues with leaking, some more than others. I agree that if a waterproof camera leaks then it is not a good camera. Canon changed their body style, maybe because of issues before. Their new camera is more sleek and compact making it easier to carry around, maybe it will make the camera more durable and dependable.

fishabuoy
02-21-2012, 04:24 PM
Gotcha - will look for it when it comes out. Maybe DPR will do a write up on it.

Have to say you're spot on with what makes a camera "better" than the average bloke in the slew of choices out there. I appreciated all of those attributes in my D10. Fix the bulk and water intrusion problems and they have a camera that for the H20 proof segment that could rival the Fuji F30 in status for P&S.

BV