PDA

View Full Version : Guerneville Thoughts?

KJE
02-14-2012, 04:38 PM
Hey all - heading to Guerneville this weekend for a friend's birthday. While the trip isn't fly-focused, I'll definitely be wetting a line for at least a few hours a day. I'm using a switch w/ skagit and T-11 lengths but can bring a single-hander. Any thoughts on flies, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

PM's are welcome, as I know this is a touchy river for many.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-14-2012, 11:44 PM
Call "King's Sport & Tackle" for some current info.....

Grassgrower
02-15-2012, 07:53 AM
Not a lot of holding water in that area and flows are low. I would try above cloverdale where the river has more structure and deep holes. Geysers rd. and up 101 to squaw rock. A single handed rod would be the ticket in this area as the river is much more condensed than in the valley.

pgw
02-15-2012, 09:16 AM
Kevin,

I have been led to believe that Vaction Beach and Neeley's Pool on the downstream edge of town have produced fish...I had fish rolling under the Wholer Rd Bridge last week...this was between rain storms and the flows were too slow to swing flies effectively...Sunset Beach between Wholer and town also had rolling fish last week...all good places to exercise that Ross R-3.5 reel.

Paul

Rockroach
02-15-2012, 04:29 PM
swing a Boss.

slim
02-15-2012, 06:59 PM
Was thinking the same thing, Rockroach.
Might bring along a few Comets, also.

Wing Blue
02-16-2012, 08:25 AM
As of yesterday, the water had less than a foot of visibility and without any significant precipitation, it should be prime come Sat.

Tight Lines!

KJE
02-16-2012, 11:20 AM
Thanks, guys, for the head's up. I'm looking forward to checking out another river and it sounds like I'll be there at a good time.

kokaneejr
02-17-2012, 11:59 AM
KJE

Post a report on what you find or pm if comfortable. I have Tues and Wed off next week and was thinking of trying if conditions are right. Mainly water conditions and general areas.
Thanks again.
Craig.

Charlie S
02-17-2012, 01:22 PM
I live on top of the upper Russian. Went over it this morning. Very fishable. Looks like they dropped the release from Mendocino Dam so it's clearing rapidly. Should be some good fishing in the upper to Cloverdale or so...not sure about the clarity below that point.

Fats
02-17-2012, 07:47 PM
No need for a two hander on the Russian... and you won't generate a bunch of hatred by showing up with a two hander. Folks are kind of twitchy on the Russian about that stuff...