PDA

View Full Version : 11' LOOMIS 8wt Switch Rod!

Simms
02-13-2012, 03:03 PM
Hey guys,

Looking for a line that would pair well with this rod...WIll be using it mostly to nymph and possible swing some big bugs, although I have a vt2 for that already...

Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you!!!

ownfl4g
02-13-2012, 03:28 PM
I went into Kienes and they set me up with a Royal Wulff Ambush triangle taper line and I couldn't be happier. This was my first switch rod and I was unfamiliar with what line I should outfit it with and they were extremely helpful. I love the change in color on the line to use as a reference for loading the rod.

Simms
02-13-2012, 04:14 PM
Ok excellent, so I should be looking for a regular fly line..

I was thinking skagit. Thank you!!!!

ownfl4g
02-13-2012, 04:32 PM
Well its still a weight forward fly line, as in the head of the line is much thicker and heavier and it tapers back the further down the line. Makes it much easier to shoot the line when your casting or throw bigger fly s around. I am sure someone here can elaborate more, I just recommended going into the shop as they are very helpful.

Larry S
02-13-2012, 04:44 PM
Simms,

here's some info from Kiene's Spey Shop page -

The Royal Wulff TT Ambush line is very different having a fat 20 foot head (yellow) and a thin 70 foot running line (blue).

We think of it as an integrated Skagit line.

**It is best for fishing in brushy streams with little or now room for back casts. It will also turn over bigger "stuff" like indicator rigs, streamers and Poly/Versi leaders.

-
So, it's kind of like a Skagit head. I have them for single hand 3 and 6 weights.
Great lines! Guys at the Kiene shop can tune you in.
Best,
Larry S

Larry S
02-13-2012, 05:14 PM
Simms,
notice that you're in Mass. You should also peruse "spey pages" board. Kiene
is a sponsor there. Consider attending a "spey clave." Here's one in your area (
info from spey pages) ---

New England Spey Clave = May 5, 2012.

Location is Barkhamsted, CT, American Legion and People's State Forest on the Farmington River.
---
Best,
Larry S

Simms
02-13-2012, 09:31 PM
Thank you both for the posts, much appreciated! I will check it all out!

Again, thank you and tight lines!