PDA

View Full Version : Joining the ranks of kayakers...

jbird
02-12-2012, 03:35 PM
I just made an impulse buy at Dicks in Minneapolis. They only had one left in stock and they were blowing it out for $249.

http://colemanpaddlesports.com/menaceangler/

I was innitially looking at a much longer, more streamline model ($600+) then I spotted this boat and it was a full 5" wider than any other model they had. I thought Id like stability over speed. I also wanted a sit-on-top kayak so I can hang my feet over with fins if needed to keep the thing from spinning while fishing.

I know some of you use kayaks and I have a couple questions...
What do you do with your rod while paddling and/or how do you keep a second rod onboard?

What do you do with your paddle while fishing?

I may be fishing for some big beasties from mine. What would be your thoughts on how to stow a large, long handled net?

Some of the waterways I may float could be very tight with overhanging vegitation in places, so I cant really have rods stickin every which way.

Also wondering about kneeling. I know I can cast much more powerfully from my knees than my butt. Not sure how long Id be comfortable on my knees tho. Is it realistic to move from your butt to your knees and back again without doing come kinda Jackie Chan maneuver?

Any advise on aftermarket upgrades youve added to yours?

Thanks!

Mike O
02-12-2012, 06:57 PM
Good for you!! I have been looking for one in the 200-250 range as well. You give me hope.

Adam Grace
02-12-2012, 07:46 PM
Jay, do you live in Minneapolis now?

jbird
02-12-2012, 08:10 PM
Central Wisconsin. Minnie is 3 hrs away.

Adam Grace
02-12-2012, 08:39 PM
When did you move there? How long have you been there? How's the fishing? Caught any Pike or Muskie there yet?

JasonB
02-13-2012, 10:02 AM
I know some of you use kayaks and I have a couple questions...
What do you do with your rod while paddling and/or how do you keep a second rod onboard?

What do you do with your paddle while fishing?

I may be fishing for some big beasties from mine. What would be your thoughts on how to stow a large, long handled net?

Some of the waterways I may float could be very tight with overhanging vegitation in places, so I cant really have rods stickin every which way.

Also wondering about kneeling. I know I can cast much more powerfully from my knees than my butt. Not sure how long Id be comfortable on my knees tho. Is it realistic to move from your butt to your knees and back again without doing come kinda Jackie Chan maneuver?

Any advise on aftermarket upgrades youve added to yours?

Thanks!

So first off, I should state that I've only done a little bit of fishing from kayaks (tried several boats and styles of fishing though). Here's been my experiences so far relative to your questions:

I think that one rod would be best, having any additional "stuff" onboard is just likely to complicate life and invites tangles. I usually find a way to sort of wedge my rod with my leg and some part of the boat while paddling, although you could stow it vertically inside your pfd with a bit of playing around. A rod holder would probably be well worth the additional $ imo, but I've not had that luxury yet on any of my forays.

The paddle can be a bit of a hassle too, especially in windy conditions and will likely prove to be an added handicap while casting. For some reason fishing lines seem to love paddles, nets, feet, and any other protrusion that they can possibly tangle on. I've used the bungie cord straps on the deck of some boats to wedge the paddle while casting, and I've also used a short leash off my pfd and just let the paddle float behind me in the water (tethered)... both were marginal but worked ok for a short term fix (a break down could be helpful here).

The combination of those factors has meant that I found that trolling ended up being one of the easier options for me, although getting a good hookset is tricky while trying to paddle enough to troll a streamer. When winds have been calm (not spinning me all over the place), I've found that casting was pretty easy all in all if not quite as pinpoint accurate.

I doubt that you'd be at all comfortable on your knees in a plastic boat for any length of time over about 5 minutes, but with some creative outfitting you could make a thwart and add some padding to the hull which would make that a lot more feasible. I'd be very careful casting from a more elevated position, as raising your center of gravity even small amounts drastically reduces the stability of a kayak. If it were me, I think casting while seated is a very small handicap and much easier to deal with than trying to work the kneeling position out to be comfortable and not end up in the lake.

I hope that this doesn't come off as being completely negative, as I have quite enjoyed the times that I have fished out of a kayak; it's just another set of challenges to work the kinks out of. I did find it to be more difficult that I would have ever thought, but if nothing else it's really a treat to have access to a TON of water. Just exploring the coves and inlets of a lake is pretty fun all by itself...
Have fun with your new toy and let us know what you figure out, I'm still working out some strategies for mine and could certainly use more help too.
cheers,
JB

DFrink
02-13-2012, 10:17 AM
Check this link out: http://www.kayakfishingstuff.com/drupal/content/installing-paddle-keeper-system

This site has tons of great fishing stuff for outfitting kayaks. I use a paddle keeper on my boats and they are great.

Scott Thornley
02-13-2012, 12:39 PM
Use a paddle keeper for your paddle.

For still water only!!! - Use a Scotty fly rod holder ( http://www.scotty.com/fishing-gear-equipment/rod-holders/fly-rod.htm ) for your second rod. Keep that rod on your line hand side, behind you, and pointed down low so its out of the way of your back cast. Better yet would be to keep your rod stowed in two pieces, inside a section of PVC that's mounted to your hull.

Fins are more than just keeping you from spinning. On a SOT kayak, they are real live trolling motors. I don't wear them while jigging for rockfish off the coast here :eek::eek: but won't fish for freshwater Bass without them.

Obligatory plug for NorCal Kayak Anglers: http://www.norcalkayakanglers.com/index.php/board,28.0.html

Scott

jersey
02-14-2012, 09:01 PM
jbird,

First off thanks for all of your posts and pics. Always great to see.

The channels running along the boat just above the handles, are paddle rests. Gotta do a little "custom" work to get some elastic strapping material with a small catch and you can quickly tie down a paddle. I use the same connection for my rod, also a second safety strap, but it does work.

Fins are a big help, as stated above. IMO its better to learn to cast sitting down than trying to raise to the knees. Although, you may not be able to throw as far initially, but your casting technique gets much better, as you are forced to use the power of the rod to reach out and touch em.

Have fun!! Its a different kind of solitude for sure.

JAWallace
02-15-2012, 06:27 PM
I started bass fishing out of a 16' Chinook sea kayak before hardly anyone fished from a yak and pretty much loved the travel and getting in skinny waters, but hated the fly fishing part. The SOTs are MUCH better and shorter. I intend to pick up a 13' Ocean Kayak when one comes up.

Most of the necessities have been covered. You NEED a paddle keeper, and you NEED a rod holder. You should also consider a wheel system as you WILL be loading it up with accessories and PVC fittings;-) You would enjoy having a fish finder, and the perfect one is the Humminbird RF35 that you wear on your wrist. I love mine, and find it accurate and without issues. For $80 it's a great accessory for any yakker or tuber.

Adam Grace
02-15-2012, 07:50 PM
That Hummingbird wrist watch unit is very cool. Thanks for informing me about it. :)

jbird
02-15-2012, 08:33 PM
Thanks for all the replies! Ive been googling up some really interesting DIY kayak stuff. Right up my alley!

JAWallace
02-15-2012, 09:29 PM
Don't forget the GoPro:mrgreen:

jbird
02-16-2012, 02:29 PM
boy am I getting some great ideas online! ;-)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/jbird35/donsok3.jpg