PDA

View Full Version : Lost Rod & Reel @ Sailor Bar Today

Sierrapacific
02-11-2012, 10:50 PM
An unplanned head first dive into the riffle at Sailor Bar this morning (Sat 2/11/12) resulted in losing my 9ft 8wt Sage Rod and Galvan Reel. Give me a call if you found it or have heard of it being found. Thanks.

Greg Vinci
(916)719-6253

JGB
02-12-2012, 09:24 AM
Lost a Sage rod and a Ross reel a couple of weeks ago. And they were not the cheapies either.

Lost mine with an unplanned head first dive off the roof of my truck! (Are things like this ever "planned").

Tried giving the local shops a heads up?

What a bummer, good luck!

JGB

Slice
02-12-2012, 11:36 AM
Man, I feel for you. A sage rod and galvan reel is worth swimming for. That may wind up being one hellava snag for someone, I hope someone here snags it and gets it back to you.

Finsane
02-12-2012, 06:42 PM
I'd be happy to help try to recover it. Mask, wetsuit, snorkel style. Done it before.

rotorhead902
02-14-2012, 12:48 PM
Hey I found your rod this morning a half mile downriver from sailor bar
Snagged it and thought I had a stick. It's in good shape, call you when I get off the river.

Ben Kobrin
02-14-2012, 12:50 PM
Snag it and thought I had a stick. It's in good shap, call you when I get off the river.

AWESOME! You, my friend, have some very positive Karma headed your way.

Sierrapacific
02-14-2012, 04:33 PM
Thank you very much for letting me know about finding my rod.
How can I get in touch with you. Are you in Sacramento? Is
there a place I can meet you?

Greg

Adam Grace
02-14-2012, 06:25 PM
I love you how many people have been reunited with lost fishing gear through the use of this board. What a nice community of people on here!!!

goby
02-14-2012, 08:30 PM
Snagged it and thought I had a stick. It's in good shape, call you when I get off the river.

My vote for Post of the Year. That's amazing!!

Sierrapacific
02-15-2012, 08:49 AM
Anyone know who rotorhead902 is? I haven't heard from him yet.
If you do, call me. Thanks.

(916)719-6253

Sierrapacific
02-15-2012, 12:40 PM
This morning I had a call from rotorhead902 asking how he could get my rod to me.
Fortunately he called me from the boat ramp at Sailor Bar, which is only about
fifteen minutes from my house. I rushed right over there and met rotorhead902 and his friend (who are members of Santa Cruz Fly fishers) who presented me with the rod & reel. They
asked that their names not be mentioned, and wouldn't accept a finders fee.

The rod & reel were found about a hundred yards downstream from where I fell. Rotorhead902 said he snagged it on the second cast yesterday morning, and that his hook had hooked one of the guides near the tip. The chances of that occurring are about as slim as you can get, so I am counting my blessings.

I want to thank everyone who offered help and in particular rotorhead902, of course.

Greg

Slice
02-15-2012, 01:23 PM
Thats amazing, nice catch rotorhead.

Mark Kranhold
02-15-2012, 01:40 PM
Good people in the world deserve a catch of a life time... You got one coming Rotorhead!!:fish::fish:

STEELIES/26c3
02-15-2012, 07:38 PM
That's about as selfless as it gets...

The world needs a trillion more rotorheads in it.

Thanks brother~:)

M

Sierrapacific
02-15-2012, 08:26 PM
Today I received a call from Rotorhead902 letting me know that he
was just getting off of the river and wanted to know where we could meet
so he could give me my rod. Thirty minutes later, I was at the Sailor
Bar boat ramp meeting to great guys, who presented me with my
precious rod & reel. They asked that their names remain anonymous
but they didn't say that there was anything wrong with mentioning
that they are members of the Santa Cruz Fly Club. Refused to take
some $$ I offered too. I can't express how grateful I am.

Greg

Morgan
02-16-2012, 11:27 AM
Awesome end to this story.
GOod thing there are still good folks out there.
He's got some nice fish coming his way w/ that karma.
TOo bad more guy/girls didnt practice safe catch and release :)

Finsane
02-16-2012, 06:01 PM
Glad you got the set up back. Honestly, I wasn't looking foward to that dive. Not sure if we would have been successful at 100 yards from where you swam.

BillB
02-16-2012, 08:19 PM
I am typically pessimistic about out society and think we are going down the slippery slope. It pleases me greatly that there are still some Rotorhead's around. Thank you for a glimmer of hope Rotorhead. By the way Rotorhead, a good friend of mine was a navy helo pilot and was often referred to as a Rotorhead. Would you fit that description?

rotorhead902
02-16-2012, 11:50 PM
Good catch, I am an air medical helicopter pilot. Hence the name rotorhead. Pretty crazy thing as I read Vince's post a day before fishing the river. I thought I snagged a stick, until I saw a few islets as it came up to the surface. Then I realized it was a rod, and then thought hey maybe it's that guys rod on the forum. Sure enough it was a sage with a galvan reel. Figured there wasn't 2 sage rods with gavlan reels in the river, and so it was Vince's.

It sure is a good fishing story, except unlike most this one happens to be true. Ha ha.