PDA

View Full Version : Rancho Seco Triploids Report

JAWallace
02-11-2012, 10:25 PM
Gave it four hours today. SMUD planted 600 lbs. of triploids yesterday, and DFG planted Tuesday, unknown if the triploid mandate has reached Rancho Seco. SMUD plants were at the first ramp; DFG the other side of the lake.

Wasn't crowded by numbers, but the bank and dock won't support many bait chuckers, and when they're there God help the individual that gets too close to the shallow depth where the fresh plants are hanging. Two or three boats on the lake and two tubes, both of us fly fishing, and I think the only two on the lake.

The only method that seemed to work at all was a floating line, fast stripping a bugger-even the I-line didn't produce. Two LDRs and one in the 'toon, about 17"--typical for a trip--the Mt. Lassen fish aren't planted until they reach 14" as I understand it. The other fly angler had exactly the same results. There was one young guy on the dock who really had it dialed it with a crappie jig setup and landed 43 trout (his numbers, and believable) during my time there. Two of the hardware trollers were skunked and those soaking Power Bait on the bottom had mixed results.

Tried to do some research on trips, as I think DFG has been mandated to plant only those in most waters. Other than the obvious difference of all being sterile females, nothing conclusive was found. Some anecdotal evidence of the fresh in the water fish being more aggressive than diploids which may be the case as this one swallowed by #8 bugger, which I've never seen before with a trout.

Does anyone have more experience or knowledge of trips vs. diploids? We have to learn guys if there's a different technique needed, 'cause that's what going to be thrown at us at many fishing lakes and rivers. The good news is that they grow super fast 'cause they sure aren't makin' baby trips and the holdovers should easily top 22".

John

catch&release
02-12-2012, 12:26 AM
Was the guy fishing jigs using a small bobber to suspend the jig?

Even if he wasn't you can do very well by indicator fishing these fish with PT s and copper johns. These fish are raised in such shallow water you have to fish suspended 3 To 5 feet because they are not going to go down to the bottom and feed like normal trout. They will eventually but the bait guys will fish them out before they can adjust and act normal.
Fish very shallow and suspend your fly using an indicator, this way you can keep your fly suspended in the strike zone for as long as you want.

Good luck,

Ernie Gulley

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-12-2012, 12:45 AM
Chuck Campana fishes Seco from his 8 foot pram with a floating line, 15 foot leader probably to a 4x tippet with a small olive bugger.

He goes around the lake till he spots fish and then from a distance casts over the school and strips the fly.

He has fished it for years...

It is not too deep around the edges and is usually very clear.

I don't think that trolling for them like they do in Amador or Pardee works all that well.

JAWallace
02-12-2012, 09:27 AM
Even if he wasn't [using a float] you can do very well by indicator fishing these fish with PT s and copper johns

He was, and what you suggest should work fine in theory, and is precisely what I did for some time, suspended 3'. There was a very minor mayfly hatch with a few rises, tried some nymphs too along with copper johns, zebras #12 - #18, etc. Nothing worked. Could have been the wrong flies, could have been too soon after living in the cement pond, but I know there were fish under my indicator. I even wind drifted across the cove in a gentle breeze with and without the indicator. Nada.

Chuck Campana fishes Seco from his 8 foot pram with a floating line, 15 foot leader probably to a 4x tippet with a small olive bugger.He goes around the lake till he spots fish and then from a distance casts over the school and strips the fly.

Yep, that confirms my findings as that's the almost exact, and only setup, that worked for me, using 5x tippet and a 12' leader with a #8- #10 olive bugger. Sight fishing there would be very helpful. I think there's a word for Scadden owners who try to do what Dave does in his videos when he stands up--swimmers:D. I 'll have to try it in the summer but I'm not planning on staying dry.

I will keep working Seco as I think it's worth learning. It's fairly close, cheap, well managed, and safe. Heard there are some nice LMB there too but don't know anyone who successfully fishes these with a long rod. Anyone?

Ed Wahl
02-12-2012, 10:52 AM
I've fished it quite a bit usually from a pram. I can stand up and spot the fish very easily that way. The trout there are not 'naturalized' for several days after planting. One thing I've done that worked was switching colors, then swithching patterns. The color switch is more dependable. Tie up some odd colors as well as the usual suspects. I've come to depend on wiggle-tails for the most part but I'm always ready to change. For instance, one year I watched a bankee beat 'em up with a Daredevil spoon. I was back the next day with both a red and white 'bugger and a small red bodied streamer with a white wing. I killed, but only for awhile. Then it was change to something else.

I like to spot a pod of fish and cast over them with an I line. Strip it back quick and watch for a reaction. The fast strip also keeps your fly running shallow, over the tops of the weedbeds.
If no reaction after a few casts change something, size, color, pattern, and do it again. Most days with enough experimentation you will land on something that works. Long strips, short strips, fast,slow, just keep offering something different until you see them breaking out of the pack and chasing. That's when it gets real fun.

John, what do they charge to get in now with a small boat?

Ed

JAWallace
02-12-2012, 10:57 AM
I will see your "Ed's Daredevil" and raise it by "John's Panther Martin." :D

Cost me $8 with a pontoon, but I'm incredibly old so I got the senior rate. Might be $10 for the non-senile population.