PDA

View Full Version : Trinity River

goby
02-09-2012, 07:04 AM
I've posted before that I really, really hate Steelheading. And I live 10 minutes from the Trinity. :eek:

Well, I think that's about to change. I'm 2 for 2, with the last steelhead being the biggest fish I ever caught. I have no idea what the Trinity River reports say, but if I can catch a steelhead, I bet you guys can catch 10.

It's amazing how catching 2 fish can change everything. I know I suck at steelheading because I haven't put in the time to learn it (versus trout fishing). Time to put in the time, and learn how how to catch them.

BTW, both fish were caught with glow bugs that I tied. Never really owning a glow bug, mine were tied a bit bigger than those found in in fly shops.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-09-2012, 10:26 AM
There are some Steelhead in the Trinity River from September through March plus then it has trout year round too.

This time of year if you have mild weather you will get insect hatches on the river just like the Lower Yuba River.

There are summer Steelhead that spend the summer way up some of the tributaries but I don't think you can fish for them.

It is funny what catching a Steelhead or two can do to you......

PS: Check with the Trinity Fly Shop in Lewiston, CA or the CA DF&G regs first to be sure what, where and when you can fish legally.

Be sure to be barbless.....

weightforwardfilms
02-09-2012, 08:31 PM
Congrats Goby. Welcome to the Dark Side.

Adam Grace
02-12-2012, 07:58 PM
Goby, Welcome to steelheading :)

Don Powell
02-12-2012, 08:14 PM
Not for the "sure thing" guys...
It is an immensely rewarding pursuit for the dedicated who just want to succeed in ever-changing conditions and an ever-evolving world...
If you can enjoy all that Nature has to offer despite a low "batting average" and continue to get out there and do it, you have arrived!
Congrats, it sounds like you have "what it takes" !!!

Ben J
02-12-2012, 09:35 PM
Start swingin' for them and then you'll really hate steelheading:D