PDA

View Full Version : fishing in Belize

rouleur35
02-08-2012, 09:44 PM
Hi,

I am heading to Belize at the end of March and am looking for some advice for fishing. I have no experience except for a half day bonefishing once. I also have no agenda, so any and all advice will be appreciated. I have an 8 wt rod and was thinking I would probably need a 10 wt also.

Thanks,
tom

FISHEYE
02-09-2012, 10:34 AM
Tom, do a google search using my name to look at my belize reports. Try something like dan blanton phil brna belize or placencia. You could do the same for Kiene's but I don't know if that will work with google. Read those and then start asking questions. Lots of guys here and on Blanton have been fishing in Belize. If you have an 8 wt and 1/2 day experience you have a ways to go but you can get there. Where are you going and what do you want to fish for?

rouleur35
02-10-2012, 02:50 PM
i will search those things, i was looking for basic information, what i should bring, some guide options, is do it yourself possible? i have no agenda, i have no set places to be, figured i would just kinda wing it when i get there. would like to fish for the usual suspects, permit, bones, tarpon

thanks

Scott V
02-10-2012, 03:29 PM
Make the same post on blanton.com. You will get a a lot more info because on that site there are a lot of posters from areas far out side of California.

Mort
02-21-2012, 07:45 PM
sent you a PM

john
02-21-2012, 08:29 PM
Where are you going in Belice? Phil can help you out in the south. I can help you out in the north. High 5 Phil.

rouleur35
02-22-2012, 11:44 AM
hi, thanks for all the replies so far, i've been checking out the suggestions.

i don't have a set destination, figured i would just kick around a little bit here and there, so far i am thinking of hanging out a few days in caye caulker and then some in placencia or dangriga or some other place, probably some days inland as well

thanks,
tom

FISHEYE
02-22-2012, 12:41 PM
If you go to Belize and want to fish, if you don't bring all of the gear you need, you will have difficulty finding anyone who has gear to take you out. Most guides I know just don't have any fly fishing gear. They have a boat and handlines. You are unlikely to find anything to buy except maybe at San Pedro on Ambergris (But I don't know for sure about that since I have not been there).

There is not DIY fishing to speak of in Dangria or Placencia. Caulker yes. Take an 8 wt, some leader, bonefish flies, and some wading boots and you can find bones and maybe some small jacks or snappers in those places. If you are going to the popular places at the end of March most probably the best guides will be booked. Just ask around and you will find someone but they may not know jack about fly fishing.

john
02-23-2012, 07:38 PM
San Pedro has a good fly shop-Tres Pescado. It's on the north end of front street, a couple of blocks north of Fido's. All the local flies are available, plus leaders tippet, etc.
The guides on SP do have seviceable fly equipment. Some very good. $250-$400/day. You could try a kayak rental and fish the lagoon side.
You can catch bonefish off the oceanside of CC, but you'll have to wade out 100 yards, and avoid the water taxis. CC has/had a flyshop, but I wouldn't bet on it.
Also, just across the cut(you'll have to swim) there's a run that on a good tide has bonefish.
Oh yeah, Belice requires a licence. $20/week.

FISHEYE
02-23-2012, 11:13 PM
John I sent you a pm. Phil You should get a partner and join us in La Paz.

rouleur35
02-26-2012, 03:45 PM
thanks for all the info coming in. i am planning on bringing an 8 wt and a 10wt; has anyone used anglers abroad? according to their website they have a shop on caye caulker.

thanks again
tom

vernonp
02-27-2012, 05:58 PM
Tom.....I would just give them a call. They are on central time down there. I'm assuming they have a phone. I was never able to catch them open when i was on CC. I think I remember that they were difficult to reach by Email.....but i could be wrong about that. My advice is to keep calling if you have a # for them. don't expect them to call you back. Remember, everyone is on island time down there. That's why you are going, right? If you can swing a guide for a day do it. It ain't really DIY friendly down there. although John's advice is dead on. Just watch out for those crocks......they love a clouser. Right John?

john
02-28-2012, 05:46 AM
Actually, it was a Gotcha. Good luck next week.

FISHEYE
02-28-2012, 10:38 AM
John and Vernon, I don't remember any croc story. You may have told me but I was probably under the influence of one of Vernon's famous rum and tonics or maybe a pina colada. Go figure. Benji told me that he was snorkeling for lobster with a buddy at Big Lagoon Caye many years ago. His buddy reached into the mangroves for a lobster and a salt water croc bit his hand off.

Darian
02-28-2012, 12:07 PM
Yikes!!!! That's enough to pucker your behind. :eek:

FISHEYE
02-28-2012, 12:40 PM
Darian, I see someone is working on a bat fly. Maybe we should find someone to work on a hand fly? Good for sharks too.

john
02-28-2012, 01:10 PM
OK Phil. Last Feb,I'm off the south end of CC, and my crack guide, whose eyesight I've been questioning, is sure he's got a 4' snook finning just outside the mangroves. 3 or so casts, all past his nose, and I can't turn him. So, I lined him. It was 4', but hardly a snook, got him in the armpit. Lot of debate boatside about what to do.

vernonp
02-28-2012, 06:21 PM
So? What did you do? I forgot.....must have been the rum drink.

FISHEYE
02-28-2012, 08:41 PM
Dey tas jus lak chiken mon!

john
02-28-2012, 08:45 PM
Guide puts his gloves on and says something like "I think I'm 'spose to grab his snout", but he made no move toward the rolling thing.
Stupidly, I took the leader into the rod, right to fly and shook it. Hands free release. Hindsight says what a dumbass move--my favorite 8wt XP survived though.
I will say say, that croc gave me a hell of a nice 50' run to start.

Darian
02-28-2012, 09:35 PM
How about inflating/tying off a rubber glove for a surface model :?: Still working on a sub-surface pattern.... :lol: