PDA

View Full Version : First time on lower yuba

flynoob
02-08-2012, 05:24 PM
Trying the lower Yuba for the first time. New to fly fishing. Any tips on areas to target, rigs, and flies would be greatly appreciated. There for both Sat and Sun. Thanks again!

JohnS
02-08-2012, 10:03 PM
If you're wading, try working the Marysville side of the river. A skawala dry with a pinkie trailing about 28 inches behind got us some fish on Tuesday. If you can, try to wade over to the first island. Then you can work down for quite a ways. Good luck....Yuba fish are the fightingest fish you'll find

flynoob
02-08-2012, 10:38 PM
Thanks!! I will be wading. I'll try that rig.

JohnS
02-09-2012, 12:51 AM
We caught a few in troughs right off the bank so hit that first. Also hit the slick water next to seams. PM me and I'll fill you in on some other spots.

Terry Imai
02-09-2012, 10:34 AM
The Yuba River is a very unique fishery because it's very close to a metropolitan area and gets significant pressure from everyone that appreciates its quality. Since many guides use it during this time of the year and have to basically stand on their heads to get their clients into fish, you will find some of the most skiddish and wild fish. The other situation is that they're a relatively low numbers of fish per mile of water when compared to other rivers. The reason why I'm being "Mr. Positive" is that a new fisherman will attempt to tackle the Yuba on their own and it's like bringing a knife to a gunfight. I would tell any new fisherman to hire a guide the first couple of trips onto the Yuba. Your education on this tailwater will be significantly accelerated than attempting to do it on your own.

The fish will provide various signs of when they want to be caught and those signs can be obvious even to a novice but in most instances, those signs are very subtle. For some of the experience Yuba fisherman, you know a certain times of the year when the fish are onto a particular bug and presentation but it took me a few years of trial and error before I was finally discovered the answer. If I would have hired a guide, I would have eliminated that time period of beating myself against one of those river rocks to figure out the answer.

Good luck

flynoob
02-09-2012, 01:07 PM
Thanks for the heads up Terry. If I could hire a guide I would. I'm an unemplyed student eeking by on student loans. Catching fish would be nice but im just content being on the water.

Terry Imai
02-13-2012, 12:28 AM
If you're new to fly fishing, perhaps joining the local fly fishing club like Granite Bay Flyfishers can help out. They have monthly meeting along with outings to various bodies of waters and I met a few of their members who seem like pretty good guys to get a new person into fly fishing.

flynoob
02-13-2012, 09:22 PM
Thanks for all the help guys. I had several takes on Skwalas on Saturday. And caught several nice fish on PMDs and BWOs on Sunday afternoon.