PDA

View Full Version : What do you use as a running line for your heads?

JGB
02-07-2012, 09:47 PM
Need something for an 8-wt(1-hander) to put various heads on the end of; sinkers and a floater. Targeting smaller(wadeable kind) west coast steelhead streams in both the fall and winter.

Thinking of a floater used for swinging primarily. Mendability is important. Roll-cast ability also?

Too many choices and not enough patience. Opinions appreciated!

Thanx, JGB

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-07-2012, 10:40 PM
This is for wading with a single handed fly rod for Steelhead:

Most of the north coast steelheaders use mono for running/shooting line in the tide water with a selection of shooting heads.

You could try a floating running line.

__________________________________________________ _______________________

More up river for Steelhead with more current and structure most use Steelhead full floaters and integrated sinktips.

__________________________________________________ ________________________

The multi-tip lines with 15' tips could be versitile for fishing more up river.

__________________________________________________ _______________________

A weight forward full floating Steelhead line has a long head and long back taper so they are good for roll casting and mending.

jayclarkflyfishing
02-08-2012, 07:28 AM
I've been using the Cortland 333 floating running line for a few years now. It mends well, but you have to strip all the line back in to the head to cast it. I am using it on a Sage 6110 switch rod with a skagit head.

Jay

Rick J
02-08-2012, 07:57 AM
If you ever think you will fish in a line up with folks, you will not want a floating running line - it causes all kinds of problems. Contrary to what some folks think, you can mend mono pretty easily - I have always used amnesia for my single handed heads but have lately gone to Berkeley Big Game Ultra Green - anywhere from 25# to 40# - not as much stretch as amnesia - use it both for single hand and 2 hand now

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-08-2012, 09:46 AM
Thanks Rick....

There is a lot of difference between fishing down near the ocean in the wide smooth "tide water" for Steelhead.

Tide water is very lakey for the most part with little current. More like lake fishing...

Today tide water is a very small part of the Steelhead fishing and best done with single handed 9' to 9'6" #7 to #9 line fly rods with mono shooting line and heads.

**If we can get more of our wild steelhead fisheries repaired we can have some tide water fishing in the future.

After the big draught of the late 1970s the tide water fishing in Nor Cal has never been the same, for the most part. Some years if the runs and weather are just right the locals and regulars can have some wonderful action though.

Rent or buy the "Rivers of a Lost Coast" if you want to see some tide water action of years gone by.

The quality of the fish hooked in the tide water is usually spectacular.

Terry Thomas
02-08-2012, 10:01 AM
Rio's Powerflex or a close second would be Airflo's Ridge.

trinity
02-08-2012, 10:06 AM
I like berkley big game 30lb, its really cheap and shoots like crazy. It mends easy too. I never have tangle problems either. You can get it in small spools around 450yrds for under ten bucks, that should last you a long time.