PDA

View Full Version : 78% Surveyed Didn't Know What the Delta Is ?!!?

OceanSunfish
02-07-2012, 11:38 AM
http://www.recordnet.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20120202/A_NEWS14/202020335

It sure is easier to steal something when most don't know there's anything to steal... !!

We all need to educate others and seek their cooperation.

Scott V
02-07-2012, 12:37 PM
I grew up in Orange County and lived there for 27 years and never knew what the delta was until I moved up north. Plus I had never visited up north so it is easy to see what I never knew about it.

Darian
02-07-2012, 01:13 PM
I read something about this on Aquafornia. Like Scott, I was born and raised in SoCal and, altho I knew the Delta was there, didn't realize how big an area was involved until I moved to the bay area....

Not much excuse for the current situation, really, but geography hasn't been taught in public schools and not required in college for decades. I'd venture to say that most people in SoCal don't realize where their water comes from (other than LAMWD). :|

troutless
02-09-2012, 01:01 AM
Based on my own personal experience that is a very optimistic estimate.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-09-2012, 01:07 AM
I heard about the Delta for many years and even drove down through it some but only until i boated it did i see what they were talking about.

Maybe we need a program where the school kids go out on a big patio boat and tour the Delta?

k.hanley
02-09-2012, 07:24 AM
That is a tremendous idea Bill. Yessireeeebob. Education is a major factor in conservation success.

Cheers, Ken

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-09-2012, 09:45 AM
We took a nice group tour in a large patio boat up Elhorn Slough near Moss Landing. It was really educational.

http://elkhornslough.com/

This is the river cruise we have in our little town in Florida that goes up our little Sebastian River:

http://www.sebastianriverqueencruises.com/

We went on this boat tour in Clearwater, FL over on the Gulf Coast near Tampa:

http://seewinter.com/explore-cma/adventures-and-programs/sea-life-safari

We love this kind of stuff......maybe that would be my retirement job? I love boats.

OceanSunfish
03-14-2012, 04:49 PM
I heard about the Delta for many years and even drove down through it some but only until i boated it did i see what they were talking about.

Maybe we need a program where the school kids go out on a big patio boat and tour the Delta?

This idea needs some serious consideration.

Schools, youth scouting programs, etc. are always looking for opportunities such as this....

I bet there's at least one marina down in the delta that would discount or donate a slip for the "patio boat" and our FF striped bass community alone has many Captains qualified to operate a boat capable of providing tours.

We would have purchase the boat and collect funds annually for maintenance and insurance.

Lets do this!

DFrink
03-15-2012, 10:07 AM
I read something about this on Aquafornia. Like Scott, I was born and raised in SoCal and, altho I knew the Delta was there, didn't realize how big an area was involved until I moved to the bay area....

Not much excuse for the current situation, really, but geography hasn't been taught in public schools and not required in college for decades. I'd venture to say that most people in SoCal don't realize where their water comes from (other than LAMWD). :|

I don't think that's an accurate statement? I had to take Geography when I got my B.A. (and that's not even a B.S. degree). I had it in HS also, and I'm only 33. For what it's worth.

Darian
03-15-2012, 01:37 PM
Dan,.... Geography as a subject was taken out of the curriculum of courses required by the state for graduation from public high schools a long time ago. We're not talking private or parochial schools here.... I recall the discussions that relaxed the requirement for Geography as being a result of reduced budget situations. Geography wasn't considered necessary for college prep/entrance.

As to college, geography is, generally, an elective course. Required only by specific degrees. Don't know what your major was or what college/university you attended but Geography wasn't even a lower division requirement for any major and in upper division only for related majors at L.A. State in the early '60's.... Here, again, we're only taking publicly funded colleges/universities, not private.

It's become such a problem that the National Geographics Society has been writing articles on the problems caused by this lack of educational requirements.

DFrink
03-16-2012, 10:09 AM
Well... I guess I'm getting old and forgetful. I know I took a California Geography course for my B.A. in Business Management, guess it could have been an elective though? I also recall taking Geography in H.S. (I really liked physical Geography, but was told the only people who got hired with a Geography degree were teachers!) Now I'm a Land Surveyor, and I have worked with 3 individuals who got into the field because they were Geography majors. Anyways now I'm rambling.

Dan