PDA

View Full Version : Get something on the calendar this year.....

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-07-2012, 09:28 AM
Try to get some days marked off on the calendar this year for fly fishing.

It seems if you don't then they just never happen.

Over my lifetime things seem to have changed a lot. I use to go on 4 to 6 trips a year all over the world but now that has slowed for me @ 66 years old.

I get pretty excited now to just go down to the Delta for some top water LMB or to sneak up on the Lower Feather River for Smallmouth.

I am going to Wisconsin for Musky and Smallmouth this summer.

Hoping for some fall (Sept/Oct/Nov) Steelheading on the Klamath and Trinity.

Right now we are headed to Sebastian, Florida for 6 weeks . Joe Shirshac is coming to fish with me this time too. It will be mostly bass and panfish but if it gets warm we will try for some saltwater fish too. We have tarpon, snook, redfish, seatrout, jacks, ladyfish, etc.

In the summer we will take our little motorhome north up to the Oregon coast. We actually have lots of friends and family in Oregon. Always nice to get out of Sacramento in August.....

Working about 50% now so we feel very lucky.

What plans do you have this year....?

Hatch
02-07-2012, 09:57 AM
I am trying to organize a Kiene's Board Halloween Striper tournament. Friends of mine last year got together and fished the first 3/4 of a Sunday before Halloween. Catch and Release only and we had prizes for most fish over 18" and for biggest fish. Two man teams. After fishing we head over to Phillips Farms and Winery (on HWY 12) to eat and give out prizes (Wine) We had a blast this past year and are hoping to ramp it up a bit this year. 10-28-12 is the date so if any of you are interested let me know.
HATCH

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-07-2012, 10:06 AM
Sounds like a great idea Maury.....especially that it will be the second one.

I guess they need a boga grip, tape measure and a camera?

JAWallace
02-08-2012, 11:44 PM
Bill February is prime time for Jacks, especially around the mouth of the Indian River. I think other than Tarpon that's my favorite fish to catch. We won't be in Florida until June this year so it'll be trout and snook for me. Going to Hawaii in a week and I don't think there's anything there on/near shore.

My plan this year is to 1) learn how to fish the Delta in a pontoon, and 2) take about 10 days and fish my way around Central Oregon and Eastern Washington. Oregon I know, but E. Washington freshwater I don't. Maybe i can get even at Craine this year--been a long time since I've done well there.

Tony Buzolich
02-09-2012, 09:03 AM
Local (use your real name),

Hawaii has some great fly fishing from shore depending upon where you go. There are also more and more guides getting into it there.

On the Big Island get ahold of Don Memmer (board member) in Hilo, or Capt. Del Dykes in Kona. Both will definitely shorten the learning curve and provide you with a fun day.

On Oahu or Molokai, there are several guides targeting bonefish there now too.

Want to try something on your own? In Kona go to the entrance of Honokahau Harbor before daybreak. Park on the north side (safe and well lit) and throw poppers next to the sea wall for some explosive strikes from trevally. The beach at the old airport is good for them too but you'll have to wade in open surf.

Don't dismiss Hawaii for fly fishing,
TONY

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-09-2012, 09:42 AM
Bill February is prime time for Jacks, especially around the mouth of the Indian River. I think other than Tarpon that's my favorite fish to catch. We won't be in Florida until June this year so it'll be trout and snook for me. Going to Hawaii in a week and I don't think there's anything there on/near shore.

My plan this year is to 1) learn how to fish the Delta in a pontoon, and 2) take about 10 days and fish my way around Central Oregon and Eastern Washington. Oregon I know, but E. Washington freshwater I don't. Maybe i can get even at Craine this year--been a long time since I've done well there.

Thanks John

Looks like you have a good plan for this year.

As Tony said, there is some good inshore around the HI islands. Trevally and Bonefish plus other stuff....early and late in the day maybe or get away from the cities.

JAWallace
02-09-2012, 10:04 AM
Good to know for the future, not this trip, unfortunately.

Bill, I'm still envious of your second home. I think Florida will be our permanent residence in a few years, probably the northern part north of Jacksonville (Amelia Island), or on the Gulf. Best fishing and boating of any place I know stateside and they're very tax friendly. I don't mind the summers there, but the plan is for a second home around Bend. Counting the days until we leave California.

The other thing I really want to do this year is float the John Day. I think I could do it in the pontoon but am searching for some float mates.

catch&release
02-09-2012, 11:20 AM
Great point Bill, I have also found that if you put it on the calendar and the calendar is out where your wife can see it it goes overmuch easier with her than her not knowing untainted last minute. This has worked much better for me in the past.

Woodman
02-09-2012, 11:04 PM
My free time the last few years has been such that the big trips, usually Alaska and/or Montana are most of my meager fishing time.

Ths year I'm getting my butt in shape and I'm going to pack my float tube on my back around the Sierra to visit some old (and hopefully new) favorite alpine lakes. Lost 13 pounds since January 1.

It will be an early season a the rate we are going...

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-09-2012, 11:27 PM
Lost 13 pounds since January 1

wonderful......

Yard Sale
02-10-2012, 03:01 PM
Good call! My buddies and I do annual trips in the spring for steel and fall for MT trouts. Can't say I would make either one happen if it wasn't an expected get together.

Hoping to make BC happen this year so maybe I need to get the ball rolling by taking the time off work.

Scott V
02-10-2012, 03:27 PM
I did my annual trip down to San Diego bay. In May I am making my first trip to Florida to fish Mosquito Lagoon. I have 3 over night backpack trips already scheduled for this summer. I plan to do a Kiene's float trip down the Sac in May. I have plans to go back down to San Diego this summer for more fishing in the bay. the list goes on and on, but I am sure I can squeeze in a few more days on my calendar. :D

Ffdoc
02-11-2012, 05:09 PM
I am taking my son on a drift trip on the lower Sac in March. I am putting together a trip to Alaska with my 3 fly fishing buddies in September. In between I will hit the Yuba, Feather and Lower A as often as my schedule allows and catch a few Largemouth bass in my backyard here at LOP in between.

Life is good. Best regards to all and here's hoping you get to get out with friends and family often too.

Mike (AKA) Ffdoc