PDA

View Full Version : Tim Rajeff's new ECHO3 Spey and Switch rods.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-05-2012, 09:22 PM
We just got some of these new ECHO3 two-hand fly rods in the shop and they are light, feel great and are cool green color.

Spey:

http://www.echoflyfishing.com/html/rod_category_details.php?category_id=22&page_id=42

Switch:

http://www.echoflyfishing.com/html/rod_category_details.php?category_id=10&page_id=23

pvsprme
02-11-2012, 07:26 AM
I'm considering a 6 weight switch and have looked at the Beulah Platinum, which really feels nice and the Orvis Access. Wasn't impressed with the handle and seat of the Access, heard they've had some issues. The Echo website doesn't give rod weight or grain windows. Anyone have any info on them? Brian Chou had a review of several spey size E3's on WFF, but can't find any real info on the switch. I like the extra length of the Echo vs. the Beulah.

pvsprme
02-14-2012, 06:14 PM
From Jamie at Rajeef:
"ECHO3-6110 = 5.6 Ozs
As for lines I would use a Skagit Switch 360 for all of my sink tips and a Rage Compact 360 for my floating and smaller wet flies."

Ben J
02-14-2012, 09:09 PM
I have the 8 wt Echo3 switch and am pretty stoked on it. It is nice and light and fast action for sure, casts smoothly and the cork feels great. I pretty much got it as a strictly small coastal stream winter steelhead stick, so I have only thrown skagit heads on it. Echo recommended a 480 skagit switch, but i put a 510 on it and it seems to be a great match... better for turning over t14 tips and big heavy bugs. I have hooked up a few times and this rod has some serious backbone to fight hot fish.

I have the Beulah Platinum 7 wt switch and this rod is probably even lighter when compared to the echo3 series... and definitely more of a moderate action. The rod casts nicely i just find myself having to really slow down and let the rod work to get its full potential. To me, this rod seems on the lighter spectrum of a 7 wt in terms of the grain weight it can throw, but i'm no expert.

Both would be great choices for sure, but i find my style fits with the echo3 a bit more.