PDA

View Full Version : Steelhead on the Lower American River?

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-04-2012, 11:27 AM
The river is low and clear but a few fly fishers are still lucky enough to hook a large winter run fish on occasion.

This is prime time for Steelhead on the A so I would go if you have time.

Indicator fishing with nymph and egg imitations is normally the most effective way to go.

The best way to have a better chance with these steelhead is to go with a local drift boat guide like Keith Kaneko or Bill Lowe.

If you want to learn how to swing flies with a two-handed rod for Steelhead you might try to get out with Andy Gibord, Keith Kaneko or Bill Lowe. You can find them all on Googel.....

Many today are way into Spey casting for Steelhead so they are honeing their skills on their local waters. Then when they travel north to better Steelhead fisheries they will have a better chance of having success.

__________________________________________________ ________________________

March/April/May can be very excting on the Lower American if we don't get extremely high water like last spring.....13,000 cfs

We get a run of medium size (3-6#) wild spring run Steelhead plus Half-pounders ( 2-18 inches) in the spring and with low water we get caddis hatches in the afternoons.

This is fun fishing with lighter two-handed fly rods......

__________________________________________________ _________________________

April/May can be good for Stripers in the A.......

__________________________________________________ _________________________

May /June will be Shad time.....

__________________________________________________ ________________________

The Lower American River is a year round fishery.....

http://www.kiene.com/reports/loweramericanarticle.shtm

bassakwards
02-05-2012, 09:54 AM
What is your favorit Indicator, nymph and egg set up. I was told egg and then nymph but I've seen nymph and then egg be productive.

smokeater
02-06-2012, 12:46 PM
You know I think I have had more success with the nymph trailing the egg but before you do that consider what you have to work with in your in your fly box.....I think the entire rig will roll out better if its balanced properly so consider the weight and size of your nymph vs. the egg pattern with the smaller/lighter fly being the dropper. So for instance if you're throwing a globug and a bead head nymph the globug should probably be the dropper. I like to use a lighter unweighted nymph as the dropper, some guys think that they will see the egg and then pounce on the nymph. Also consider the gauge/size hook of your primary fly, think of it as a link in your chain. I like to tie my dropper right onto the bend of the hook with about 12-18" of tippet and have had that primary hook straighten out when they grabbed the dropper if it was too light.

As far as leader and tippet a 9' tapered leader with tippet to finish off the desired length for the dpth of the water you're fishing and slightly lighter tippet from the primary fly to dropper. I wouldn't go any lighter than say 8lbs in the entire rig and place your split shot about 18" above the fly using one of your knotted tippet connections to keep it from slipping further down the rig. You'll want to rig your indicater allowing 1 1/2 times the depth of the water from indicator to split shot and then adjust from there depending on the current speed and how well your rig is drifting. You definitely want to get the fly setup down but use the absolute minimum amount of weight necassary so you get as natural a drift/presentation as possible.

As far as patterns go I don't think the color of the egg is that important....for instance I have had success with blue globugs(which didn't match anything natural) but trying to match a natural color/size for what is there at the time will not hurt. My most productive or reliable nymph on the AR has been an unweighted #14 FOX'S POOPAH in olive when throwing that nymph/egg combo under an indicator. As for the indicator I like the Boles Flote Rite with the wand. There are a ton of different products out there but I really like how this one works and that its pretty bomproof and wand will help you see if you're getting a true dead drift. I will rig it by passing a bight of the leader through the eye and over the indicator forming a girth hitch. That hitch will hold it in place but still allow you to adlust the length. It will kinda trash your leader over time though. Hope that helps. Good luck!

ownfl4g
02-06-2012, 09:08 PM
I would love to try fishing this water as its close by and I drive past it everyday. I am only worried about crowds, I did see a guy off the sunrise bridge the other day at about 5PM wading by himself....which kind of got my hopes up.

Where would you suggest a guy go wading during the evening hours of the week? Even if its not prime water, I just don't want to have to worry about whacking someone with a fly.