PDA

View Full Version : Anybody throw Sage Speys?

steel2theReel
02-03-2012, 09:56 PM
New to the site, but not newto Spey.

I'm looking for a new Spey rod - perhaps an 8 weight.
I currently use a 6126 ZAxis (yuba/Feather). 7136 ZAxis for American and overall Steelie and Salmon; but I'm looking to bulk up for BC this year.

I actually felt outgunned for the first time with my 7136 on the Bulkley last year and may need 14-15 8/9 weight for these large rivers.

Has anyone got experience with the Sage TCX or other alternatives?

Not a Sage bigot, but i know what I like...

Ben J
02-03-2012, 10:14 PM
The "Death Star" TCX is highly regarded by many... I have also heard nothing but great things about the TCX switch rods and that some have used the 8 wt in BC... Never been fortunate enough to fish up there so this is all second hand. I also like the VXP's so maybe the 8 wt in this series could be considered as well.

steel2theReel
02-03-2012, 10:17 PM
Thanks,

Is it worth looking at Anderson's rods as well? I have a couple of friends that might let me borrow one for a day.... if I put my kids up as collateral.

flyguy1
02-03-2012, 10:53 PM
I used a 13' 8" 7/8wt spey rod, built by Steve Godshall, on the Kispiox last October and landed a 41" X 21" (approx 26 pounds). The rod is more of an 8wt than a 7. The blank was an anderson blank, modified somewhat by Steve G. Did'nt seem out gunned on that rod. An 8wt should work just fine in BC

Scott

aaron
02-03-2012, 11:33 PM
Sage makes excellent sticks
the 8134 z axis is a nice big winter/bc dedicated stick.
the 8136 vxp is a very nice true 8. A bit heavier in the hand than the above rod but still very nice
I've thrown up to 650 on the 7136 Z with no issues, it is a tad softer but I can't imagine many situations where it would be out gunned.
The 7126 TCX Deathstar is very nice, but not quite as versatile if you ever want to delve into longer lines.
Another to throw in is the Winston BIIMX 12'3" 7/8. I'm not a Winston guy but I think this rod is awesome, I like it better than the 7126 TCX as it's lighter in the hand with the same cajones. Hope some of this helps!

Jeff Putnam
02-03-2012, 11:47 PM
Sage's 8134 is hard to beat for the B.C. area, Patagonia etc. where you're fishing for 15-30 lb fish. You wont get schooled with this one! Its got the backbone to cast into wind, big bugs and heavy tips and the taper makes it feel awesome when casting and fishing fish!
The Death Star 7 weight is one of the nicest shorter 9 weights on the market, yes 9 weight! 600 grains loads it...hmm bit much to be labeled as a seven. Gary also has some great 8 weights both skagit and scandi rods beautifully crafted (great price ranges) and the Orvis Helios 13'6" #8 is a hot spey...very, very light in hand! JP

Kneedeep
02-04-2012, 07:13 AM
I have a brace of Sage spey rods from Gary Anderson (ACR). I divested myself of all others over these two rods.

A couple of years back, I took a spey lessons from a venerable FFF instructor.
This guy was so good and so far up in the ranks, he was an "examiner" of instructors; went all over the world grading guys getting licensed. He liked my Sage from Gary so much I had difficulty getting it out of his hands so I could practice what he was trying to teach me! He ended up ordering one for himself. How's that for an endorsement.
Selah.......

shawn kempkes
02-04-2012, 10:06 AM
The 8119 tcx switch is one of my goto rods for winter on the OP . It has a totally different action than the 8134. I would reccommend you attend a clave or other gathering where you can try them side by side.

Terry Thomas
02-04-2012, 11:33 AM
Sage is one of the tops in the industry when it comes to the two hand game. The 8129 is a classic and probably one of the best skagit rods ever built! If you check out Spey Pages, you will see what a following the 8129 has up to this day.
T

Bill Kiene semi-retired
02-04-2012, 12:17 PM
Two-handed fly rods are getting shorter and lighter ever year......

Our most popular sizes today are the 12'6" #6 and a 13' (plus or minus) #7 line.

I think 14 foot rods are considered a long rod now for most.

We sell some 8 weights for winter runs and BC and Kings but 9 weights are pretty much no-existent for new rod sales us.

On the Interent used #9 and 10 weight Spey rods, especally in 3 piece, are a steal.

4 piece is the norm now.

We do sell lots of lighter Spey rods and Switch rods for smaller Steelhead and trout fishing on larger trout streams.

__________________________________________________ _____________________

**If you are fishing a 15' #10 line Spey rod in a 3 piece please don't be offended or feel like you are out there all alone.......I am just reporting what is being purchased today in the higher volumes.

__________________________________________________ _____________________

Also for line sales, it is mostly heads now with most of them around 30' long, plus or minus.....Skagit and Scandi.

With the shorter lines now more people are getting into two-handed fly fishing because it is a lot easier than starting out with a 60 foot head like we did 5 to 10 years ago.

After people get started and then get fully into two-handed fishing it will be wonderful if they would then try some longer head lines.

Grampa Spey
02-07-2012, 12:24 PM
I own the ZA 6126, 7136 and 7110. The later two are strong rods, but I went to the Death Star just in case.

At my age, a battered old 73 year old, I don't think that I would want to run into a fish that out gunned the Death Star.

If you get a Death Star save yourself a lot of time/money and misery re lines. Have Steve Godshall slice and dice one of his SGS lines for it.

Got to the Speyorama on Friday this year and try different rods and the lines they have for them. You might just find what you want.

New to the site, but not newto Spey.

I'm looking for a new Spey rod - perhaps an 8 weight.
I currently use a 6126 ZAxis (yuba/Feather). 7136 ZAxis for American and overall Steelie and Salmon; but I'm looking to bulk up for BC this year.

I actually felt outgunned for the first time with my 7136 on the Bulkley last year and may need 14-15 8/9 weight for these large rivers.

Has anyone got experience with the Sage TCX or other alternatives?

Not a Sage bigot, but i know what I like...

Grampa Spey
02-07-2012, 12:45 PM
Gary has wrapped and done his two handed cork magic/art on 3 Sage Rods for me, the 5120, ZA7110, and ZA7136.

Gary brought the these rods down to the Speyorama the year of his finishing the rod, and I with the help of experts matched lines/leaders to the rods.

Various super casters at the various Speyoramas wanted to try each rod after we mated with the proper line.

Bob Pauli and a couple of lads from across the pond mated my ZA6126 with the Rio AFS Shooting head 6/7 and Rio's 15' floating Versi leader. It got rotated around by the experts for most of the afternoon until I rescued it. Good casters didn't want my name, they wanted Gary's name and the rod id # and the line and leader.

Similiar results happened with the ZA7110 and ZA7136.

A couple of years ago I bought my Death Star finished by Sage to the Speyorama. Until Steve Godshall sliced and diced one of his SGS lines, not too many people wanted to cast it. Most of those, who tried it without Steve's line handed it back rather quickly. After Steve did his magic with one of his sliced/diced SGS lines, I had a hard time getting the rod back.

I have a brace of Sage spey rods from Gary Anderson (ACR). I divested myself of all others over these two rods.

A couple of years back, I took a spey lessons from a venerable FFF instructor.
This guy was so good and so far up in the ranks, he was an "examiner" of instructors; went all over the world grading guys getting licensed. He liked my Sage from Gary so much I had difficulty getting it out of his hands so I could practice what he was trying to teach me! He ended up ordering one for himself. How's that for an endorsement.
Selah.......

Don Powell
02-07-2012, 08:26 PM
B.C. offers many opportunities...
You need to tell us where and what month you plan to fish for meaningful advice...
I have used anything from a 10' 6 wt single hand to a 14' 3" 9 wt double hand from March to October to land 48 B.C. steelhead since 2005. It remains my favorite place to fish and I am going there twice more in 2012.
Incidently, I fished the Bulkley and easily landed five steelhead during my week there on Gary Anderson's 12' 9" 6 wt and my Meiser MKS 12' 6" 6/7/8.
Bigger is not always better...
Please divulge information as to where and when you plan to go and you may receive helpful guidance...
I have never felt "undergunned" while fishing in B.C. but there have been many times when I would have enjoyed the steelhead I landed with a lesser weight rod.

steel2theReel
02-07-2012, 08:53 PM
Thanks all for the posts!

I have to do my homework now...

aaron
02-07-2012, 09:41 PM
If you get a Death Star save yourself a lot of time/money and misery re lines. Have Steve Godshall slice and dice one of his SGS lines for it.

Never understood this, I've seen more people struggle with A SGS taper than with something out of the box from Rio or Airflo. TO each their own though.

Willowemac
02-08-2012, 10:19 AM
Based on fishing the Bulkley and Sustut the last 5 years, here is my experience;
- Sage Zaxis 8129 lighter in hand than 8134 and can handle tight spots. Will handle any fish and tips you want. Both are good choices
- Sage Zaxis 7136 is fine for most situations, but not as good as 8129 for tight quarters and heavy runs where you can't move (if 40" fish on)
- Sage TCX 8119: fantastic. With a skagit short 525 will throw anything a mile, great in tight spots, and the length is great for fish fighting. My current choice. This rod and a Meiser Highlander S 1307 are my go-to rods

A 7 wt. should be fine for the Bulkley. A 6 wt. is fun on the Morice. But the Sustut (and Babine) has runs and fish that are best fished with an 8. And ACR and Bob Meiser know their stuff. The Anderson Explorer 8 wt is a bargain. With an Airflo 570 you can handle anything. Since you don't need 8 wts done here, that rod is a good option

steel2theReel
02-17-2012, 11:18 PM
Thanks to all who responded. I ordered and received a "Death Star".

Shoots line like a champ with a Scandi head on it.

WoW!