PDA

View Full Version : Info needed about the SF Eel River

Adam Grace
02-01-2012, 10:36 PM
I am trying to plan a fishing trip for my friends and I around the middle of this March. We want to camp and fish for steelhead. I have been told that the SF of the Eel River could be a nice place. If you know the SF Eel or any other stronge suggestions I would love to hear your advice.

I have also been told that there is a good campground near Benbow. Any good info about other campgrounds near that area or on another river?

Thank you in advance - Adam

Ben J
02-01-2012, 10:55 PM
The campground at Benbow will be closed that time of year, but Richardson Grove State park just to the south on the 101 has a campground open year round. Also, Burlington campground on the Avenue of the Giants is open year round. If the river is high, look for reasonable conditions upstream of the East Branch which enters the river in Benbow. If conditions are good, look to fish down in Humboldt Redwoods State Park. Without going into specifics, driving along the Avenue you will be able to scout plenty of good runs that generally require only a short hike down. Two feet+ of visibility and you are good to go... there are lots of fish around this year, Hope your trip is a success!

Adam Grace
02-01-2012, 11:07 PM
Kobe, thanks so much for the very helpful info. Would you mind if I PM'd you with a few more questions?

Larry S
02-02-2012, 06:02 AM
As Kobe says, some great fly water at Richardson. Campground is on opposite side
of highway (101) as the river. A park road takes you back under 101 and leads to
a riverside parking lot.
Bring your Streamtime Eel map. If you make it as far north as Rio Dell, stop in at
Grundman"s Sporting Goods on left just after the bridge. He is very up on fishing
and conditions. Also, every Thursday, Kenny Priest has a updated "Fishing the
North Coast" report in the Times-Standard paper.
Best of luck,
Larry S

Rick J
02-02-2012, 07:52 AM
Adam - long time!!!! Are you road fishing or do you have the option to float? If so I will PM you with some options

PS - no D loop here - a true V loop!!!

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a395/RickJ/DSCN0045.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a395/RickJ/DSCN0062-1.jpg

Best regards,
Rick

KJE
02-02-2012, 10:21 AM
I'll be there this weekend - if there are things worth reporting, I'll do so. Hoping to get back later in February, as well.

Adam Grace
02-02-2012, 07:49 PM
Thank you guys. I appreciate the help. :)

Jeff Putnam
02-03-2012, 11:59 PM
Adam, there are all ready too many people fishing the SF Eel, especially this year... I wouldn't go if I were you... (especially if you see a camera boat floating toward you)...remember its High Def-3D...lol :) See you there. jp

Bruce Slightom
02-04-2012, 01:13 PM
Adam, Jeff is right there are way too many people on the river. But if you are coming up try Dean Creek Resort which is private or Burlinton State Park by Weott. All other parks are closed that I am aware of. Bruce

Notch
02-04-2012, 07:39 PM
Just got back from three days on the SF. Like Bruce said, lots of boat traffic on the Eel. I was bank fishing and had to race the crowds downstream to get to the good holes. Evening was the best time of day for me as I hooked all four of my fish from 2pm - dark. River was clearing below Benbow, so if we don't get much rain I would fish downstream around Miranda, Meyers Flat or even the main stem. There's is lots of water to cover and seems to be a lot of fish this year (although my catch rate doesn't show that). I hooked all my fish in two holes - so if you get a bite pound that spot as there is probably a few more around. I was sleeping in my truck on various pull-outs, but there are some nice gravel bars off the 271 near Piercy and a good one above the bridge at Miranda.
Good luck!

KJE
02-06-2012, 10:33 AM
My weekend was focused more on trees than the river. I got a couple of hours with the rod with no tugs, though I didn't cover much water, either. There were quite a few boats out and a number of guys with switch/spey rods.

Adam Grace
02-06-2012, 11:06 PM
Thank you everyone for your information. If not the SF Eel, where should I take my newbie friends?

Adam Grace
03-06-2012, 04:07 PM
Has anyone fished or seen the SF Eel lately?

Ben J
03-06-2012, 06:16 PM
Swung a couple runs near Myers Flat this morning. Clarity was marginal for flies, but I bet it will look great by Thursday.

Bwag
03-06-2012, 09:02 PM
I fished the SF Eel two weeks ago with two friends. First season fly fishing for steelhead for all of us so I'm not the best source of information. We stayed at Richardson Grove State Park (35$) a night check out is 11 AM. Nice place only two other people staying there, it's about ten miles south of Garberville. They have "Bear boxes" and say you're supposed to use them, however it's a small wooden cabinet 3' high by 3' wide and 10" deep, so not too practical from a storage or secure standpoint. We just left our stuff in coolers

Stopped by Browns sporting goods, nice people there but it's a little cluttered and minimal fly selection.

We fished from Benbow down stream to the main stem. Tons of holes too fish but the water was real clear so we mainly fished the close to where the south fork meets the main stem. We did check out the main stem but it's pretty big to fish with a single handed rod (we were nymphing).

None of us landed any fish, on the last day my buddy hooked up but it was very short. I spoke with a few different guides, seemed like most were bait fishing and had hooked/landed one or two fish.

I'd recommend getting a streamtime map of the Eel if you don't already have one.

aaron
03-08-2012, 04:29 PM
uhhhhhh might want to keep an eye on the weather....http://tahoeweatherdiscussion.com/

Adam Grace
03-12-2012, 09:21 PM
Yep, the weather has ruined my steelheading trip. Bummer!!!