PDA

View Full Version : Steelhead punch card question

Ralph
01-30-2012, 09:47 AM
When the steelhead punchcard is full, do you have to buy a new punch card or can you simply staple it to a sheet of paper and continue to log in the data?

Ben J
01-30-2012, 10:03 AM
I believe you can just take it into a DFG office and they will give you a new one for no charge.

Charlie S
01-30-2012, 02:44 PM
Actually Ralph, you have to buy another card. Personally I think this is ridiculous but how do you argue with the law: http://www.dfg.ca.gov/regulations/FreshFish-Mar2011/steelhead.html

Larry S
01-30-2012, 03:25 PM
What I really dislike about this regulation are the multiple listings for single streams.
The Smith River has four! One could easily fish all four sections in one day; requiring
you to use four spaces for just that one day! Come on!
Best,
Larry S

Ralph
01-30-2012, 03:43 PM
Thanks for the link Charlie.
It sure seems like a waste of time. I'm all for collecting data, but arbitrarily deciding that every rainbow over 16 inches is a steelhead seems like a case of gathering useless information. In Oregon the size is 20 inches. What gives?

Ben J
01-30-2012, 07:24 PM
Wow, that sucks! I was told by someone at the DFG Eureka office that i could get a second one for no charge once the first had been filled out... What a bunch of BS!!!](*,)

Mike O
01-30-2012, 10:25 PM
Nothing like paying the DFG to collect their data for them

Charlie S
01-31-2012, 03:32 AM
Nothing like paying the DFG to collect their data for them

Not only that, if you don't have a computer you have to pay for the stamp to send it back!!!

NCL
01-31-2012, 07:30 AM
Charlie,

Have you done the online reporting? I just noticed that option yesterday when I was mailing the report back to DFG, since I already had the envelope filled out I didn't bother to look it up to see how detailed the online gets, that and I didn't want to spent a half a day typing to save .44 cents.

mr. 3 wt.
01-31-2012, 07:34 AM
Half a day? Really? Did mine in 5 minutes.

Ned Morris
01-31-2012, 08:58 AM
I understand we are all trying to do the right thing here but seriously how can DFG enforce the accuracy of your Steelhead card? I forget 1/2 the time and don't even worry considering some of the spots I go to with exceptions being like the Russian, Yuba, etc..where I know wardens lurk. I agree with Ralph. I would most certainly argue wasting my card slots when catching anything in the central valley under 22". But then again I haven't filled out an entire card in years so doesn't matter that much to me.

Ralph
01-31-2012, 09:14 AM
I registered on-line. For a full card you will need to fill 210 cells. Probably worth the stamp.

Also, you can only fill in data for the 2011 card. When your current 2012 card is full (and mine will be by the end of February) you have to mail in the card and wait for DFG to validate it before being allowed to purchase a second card. Knowing how efficiently government works, it will be interesting to see how long I won't be able to fish the Yuba (legally). The whole thing is a boondoggle. Or so it seems.

Tiger
01-31-2012, 09:38 AM
I just go in and buy another card when one is completed. Then send them all in at the end of the year. I usually end up buying 4 or 5. Never heard about this validating stuff. This has been going on for a few years now.

Ralph
01-31-2012, 09:53 AM
I just go in and buy another card when one is completed. Then send them all in at the end of the year. I usually end up buying 4 or 5. Never heard about this validating stuff. This has been going on for a few years now.

I requested two and was told by DFG at Rancho Cordova that you could only have one at a time and the first one needed to be returned before they would release a second one. Instruction #8 printed on the punch card itself states the same thing.

Slice
01-31-2012, 10:19 AM
Not mention you have to record "Month, day and location must be recorded EVEN IF NO STEELHEAD WERE CAUGHT." Does this mean you technically have to use a slot every time you fish in anadromous waters targeting rainbow trout? Or am I missing something.

I think the DFG is relying on ethical practices, judgement and knowlege of what information is useful to them... which may not be the best source for accurate information.

Ned Morris
01-31-2012, 10:33 AM
I seriously wouldn't lose any sleep over this. Yes bring your card with you and have pen ready. I just wouldn't go overboard. When I do have an epic day on Yuba (although rare) I don't wast time filling out my card for every Trout I catch over 16". No way would I deal with that hassle and would only estimate what I got at the end of the day when filling out. If a warden was truly badge heavy they might do something, but I seriously doubt it. I know the naysayers here would tell you some horror story of someone getting fined. I think it may be more someone NOT having their Steelhead Card and more likely someone just get a talking to make sure you fill it out. As for accuracy, eye of the beholder my friends. I would spend more time reading the regs on which water I'm about to fish than worry about this.

Tiger
01-31-2012, 10:38 AM
I just read rule #8. I guess I'm breaking the rules. Haven't had any complaints from the DFG over the past few years. I guess I could mailed it and then immediately go purchase another one. I didn't see anything about validating though. I think maybe they are happy that I'm at least returning everything for their survey.

NCL
01-31-2012, 11:28 AM
Half a day? Really? Did mine in 5 minutes.

Slow typist...LOL

bonish
01-31-2012, 02:02 PM
I requested two and was told by DFG at Rancho Cordova that you could only have one at a time and the first one needed to be returned before they would release a second one. Instruction #8 printed on the punch card itself states the same thing.

This doesn't help with your current situation, but in the time it takes to post a couple of messages here, a letter to the new Director at DFG suggesting internal changes could be drafted. For the first and probably only time ever, there is a fisheries conservation policy wonk in charge who understands our issues and concerns. I'd bet he's looking to make internal process and efficiency changes wherever possible, especially in light of upcoming budget reduction actions the Department will have to implement. Internal policies and issues is an area he has full control over. Give it a shot. My guess is he will actually read your letter and seriously consider any viable suggestions.

pmh
01-31-2012, 04:09 PM
well,,you type fast..took me maybe 3 minutes, but I only had one weekend to enter..:D

Paul

NCL
01-31-2012, 05:32 PM
My license, flies, and punch card were checked by a warden this year while I was fishing over on the Trinity. I had forgot to pre-fill out the punch card like I usually do, I usually remember to fill it out at the end of the day. Anyway the Warden responded it is more of an "education" thing on the river, he could see I had probably 8 or 9 prior entries. As was stated it seemed there is more interest that I had the punchcard than that I had it filled out.

Bruce Slightom
02-01-2012, 07:22 AM
Interesting, I purchased two punch cards at the time that I got my license from the DFG office in Eureka, it did confuse the clerk.

I had to get a fourth card last Dec and the clerk at that time told me they would not sell me another, it sounded as if there is a limit to the number of cards that one could recieve, I did not question it at the time.

The difference between Oregon and Cal, Cal it is a fine if you do not return your card. In Oregon when you return the punch card you are put into a drawing for a boat. details are on the cover of the regs. I send that cover along with my Cal punch cards and post a note saying that they might get an idea from this. I have never gotten a response back.