PDA

View Full Version : Permit to float the Gualala?

rippinstreamers
01-29-2012, 09:27 AM
I went fishing on the Gualala this weekend and was very excited to drop my canoe in for the float. When we showed up on Anapolis road to the put in, there was a Gualala Lumber company truck waiting up there with a guy that greeting us asking if we were on the "list." So I started asking him questions like why and when did this start happening and he went on with about three years ago and because people were ruining the trees around river and knocking silt into the water. I had to take a deep breath because I started seeing red, trying to comprehend what just came out of this loggers mouth. He also went on to tell me the "the permit is 300 dollars or something and I think you have to get it at the office." It seemed very unofficial and maybe not really the truth the way this guy was trying to tell me.
Has anyone else ran into this problem up there? It only hurt my feeling for a short while due to the fact that I went down to fish the raceway instead and landed a nice 9 pound hen on the swing.
I later talked to some locals and also some people that came down on prams and they seemed to think it was a bunch of bull too. So I guess if you are planning to float it, there might be a red pickup at the top right at sunrise waiting to tell you that you are about to ruin the river bank if you proceed.

Steelie-Stalker
01-29-2012, 03:38 PM
the loggers telling the fisherman that they're ruining the bank and putting silt into the water....

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-29-2012, 03:57 PM
Back in the day most fished from the forks down stream in mostly the tide water.

Above the forks was mostly spawners back then but I could be worng here?

sixrivers
01-29-2012, 06:58 PM
The area that you are talking about just on the other side of the second bridge on the Annapolis Rd is in fact owned by Gualala Redwoods. Most if not all the East riverbank down to the north fork and including "Switchville" is owned by them as well. They gated it several years ago to keep the "riff raff" out. Apparently guys were driving up and down the river in low water conditions and of course there was the trash issue that seems to come up more and more recently. You are right, the price for a key to the gates (the other one is just below the Hwy 1 bridge and on the north bank) is $300 annually. Henry Alden is the guy to talk to 707 884 4226.
Pay to play is fast becoming the way of the world.

rippinstreamers
01-29-2012, 10:26 PM
Thanks Sixrivers for the intel, I guess I should have looked into it more before assuming that it was public access. That sounds like the price for a ski pass, does one with the permit get any other access on other rivers or just there? Will they allow foot traffic at all, hiking on either end of the river?

Rockroach
01-30-2012, 07:44 AM
The key is only good for the Gualala.
I saw people riding mountain bikes last weekend but they were going up from Switchville. I used to do it all the time but lately I just fish the lower section.
Also last year people were getting their cars/trucks towed away when they parked up by Twin bridges.

sixrivers
01-30-2012, 10:05 AM
Sea Ranch has river access up by the airport (approx 1 mi downstream of Twin Bridges) for their property owners. The access is somewhat limited in that there is no "ramp" for drift boats but a pram would probably make it through the narrow paths to the gravel bar. It's more for canoes and kayaks. It's my understanding that if you rent a place within the complex it comes with a key.
This post rattled the gray area back there between the ears...I've wanted to ask Henry about day permits for some time. Our conversation a few mins ago remains the same as years past - Gualala Redwoods' intention was never to lock out the guides making a living on the river hence a fee for annual access. They are not in the business of accommodating / enhancing the local tourist trade and consider the few annual passes a hassle already.

Larry S
01-30-2012, 06:02 PM
sixrivers:
Your post reminds me of fishing the Ten Mile River in the 70's. Needed a permit
from the logging office in Ft Bragg. Drove up to a gate on a ranch (Ten Mile ?)
and walked up to the door of a very rustic abode. Never saw anyone; but, displayed
my permit to a voice thru the door. Did this several times over a year or so.
Never saw a a face! Never hooked a fish. Still, a lovely river!
30+ years later, I think I would like to have walked to that door with an offering;
maybe a bottle of Jack. Sometimes, that works miracles!
Best to all,
Larry S

neck fat
02-04-2012, 11:24 AM
Where been? River restrict for years. Tree road privite prop too. Be nice respect land allow fishing granted.

jumpshooter
02-06-2012, 12:22 PM
The Gualala River is not a navigable watercourse and thus it is controlled/controllable by the landowner. A few years ago, the Department of Fish and Game issued (or tried to issue, I can't remember) violations of their lake and streambank alteration agreement for all of the people that drove down to the river to put in and take out as their vehicles in the stream, sandbars and other places were a violation of the Forest Practice Rules and their permits.

The Sea Ranch access point is only for Sea Ranch residents and renters. Gualala Redwoods actually owns both sides of the river from Annapolis Road north. The Sea Ranch is the only other owner that touches the river just above switchville.

What some may not understand that because the river access is through private property, anything that is done on the land be it someone driving on the beach, someone littering, someone starting a fire, the landowner is ultimately liable.

rossfactor
11-12-2012, 12:45 PM
I think the Gualala is indeed a navigable river. See excerpt of Sonma County General Plan "The Gualala River is a navigable waterway and as such, public access is protected by Article XV, Section 2 of the California Constitution." While Gualala Redwoods, or any landowner, has the right to deny access by the public to their private land, the floating down the river, and fishing (while following state and fed laws) is totally legal regardless who owns the land under the stream,. As I understand it, these navigable waterways are public trust resources and nobody can forbid you from being on the river.

Gabe

TaylerW
11-12-2012, 04:24 PM
blaming the loggers of today on river bound issues is no longer valid. sure the loggers of yesterday literally destroyed the forest, but california's timber industry is one of the highest regulated businesses in the state. you cant even walk near a stream with a chainsaw in your hand. i know some guys who are passionate about steelhead, catch more than just about anyone else, and by profession are loggers.

jumpshooter
11-13-2012, 10:03 PM
The Gualala River is absolutely not a navigable waterway! There is no public access point. The only way to get to the river is to trespass across Gualala Redwoods lands. Can you show me a legal public access point? Mind you that under most circumstances county roads have a right of way, however in this part of Sonoma County, the county does not own a right of way for the actual road. They only maintain an easement of use for the road itself.

I live 2 minutes from the river and know it very well. Gualala Redwoods allows hikers to access the river from county roads, but they don't have to and won't if the river access points are continued to be abused.

And Tayler, I have to agree, some of the best fishermen I know are loggers.

shawn kempkes
11-14-2012, 08:19 AM
The Gualala River is absolutely not a navigable waterway! There is no public access point. The only way to get to the river is to trespass across Gualala Redwoods lands. Can you show me a legal public access point? Mind you that under most circumstances county roads have a right of way, however in this part of Sonoma County, the county does not own a right of way for the actual road. They only maintain an easement of use for the road itself.

I live 2 minutes from the river and know it very well. Gualala Redwoods allows hikers to access the river from county roads, but they don't have to and won't if the river access points are continued to be abused.

And Tayler, I have to agree, some of the best fishermen I know are loggers.

I think you need to re-examine what clarifies if the river can be defined if navigable. If they could float a canoe down it at the time of statehood than it was considered navigable for title purposes.

http://www.nationalrivers.org/us-law-who-owns.htm

Also there is a county park on the lower river that you can access the whole lower river from. You dont need to trespass to fish from miner to the Forks.

Also the Gualala redwoods company for years has let people use that upper place to launch their boats and use the access point. If somebody with unlimited funds IE the state of CA had any balls they would have challenged them putting in their gates because that property meets the definition of a prescriptive easement. I floated the Upper Gualala once several years ago and scratched the hell out of my drift boat on all the streamside alders that were blocking the channel. I never went back
theres a couple on nice holes in there but definitely not enough to make a day out of it flyfishing unless you enjoy bobber dawging glo bugs

Charlie S
11-14-2012, 08:43 AM
Shawn..read your messages.