PDA

View Full Version : Eel Flows?

steelheadsicko
01-25-2012, 10:17 PM
I did some research, and maybe the internet isn't my thing, but I could not find any info on recommended fishing flows for the eel. So if anyone would like to give a helping hand I would like to know what flows are good for fishing on the sf of the eel near gaberville and up river and then also the main eel way up river east of willits. I appreciate all the help

JGB
01-25-2012, 10:51 PM
From another site...

"...SF needs to drop to 8 feet at Miranda before it will fish in that section though the river above the East Branch (Ben Bow) will be in great shape a few days before. The Each Branch pushes a lot of silt into the river making it a tad harder to gauge when the section below will come in but 8 feet is the height to watch for."

http://www.northcoastweb.com/fishing/reports/riverlevel.cfm

Post a report!

JB

Randy B
01-26-2012, 09:04 AM
Steelheadsicko,

Great question. I've wondered that same thing. How to time a trip after a storm front. I know it depends on river, but there must be fairly obvious guidelines/slots that say it is time to head north to fish.

Wing Blue
01-26-2012, 10:04 AM
A site I look at for a fishing report on coastal rivers is in times-standard.com

Larry S
01-26-2012, 12:29 PM
Wing Blue is right. Kenny Priest's North Coast Fishing Report is updated every
Thursday. Good coverage.
Best,
Larry S

Ned Morris
01-26-2012, 01:49 PM
Santa Rosa Press Democrat Fishing Report Blog. Some weeks not updated but for obvious reasons.

Notch
01-26-2012, 05:04 PM
The SF Eel around Leggett was good around 800cfs last winter...just beware you have to cross a few times if you're wading, and anything above 800 would be dicey-
http://cdec.water.ca.gov/jspplot/jspPlotServlet.jsp?sensor_no=888&end=&geom=&interval=&cookies=
Water tends to be cleaner up there also, as the east branch SF Eel around Benbow puts in some silt/color

Good luck!

sixrivers
01-27-2012, 10:40 AM
Hello, first time poster...

Notch is right on target about wading the Leggett area at 800 cfs.

I would only add that when going to cdec's site click on "river stages" on the tool bar and then on "river conditions" to get a clear picture of several of the north coast drainages.
Leggett was at 8.7 ft this morning and flowing at 916 cfs which is a little pushy but definitely fishable. The downside may be that wx forecasts for Sunday show rain.
Sicko; when clicking on "Eel Rivers" on the river conditions page and scrolling down you will find upper main stem readings at Ft Seward. I know it's way high right now. I'd have to go back to my notes to give you a level that's fishable.

steelheadsicko
01-27-2012, 01:20 PM
Thank you all very helpful information if I get out there I owe you all a report

Larry S
01-27-2012, 05:56 PM
Sixrivers is a regular @ speypages and should prove to be a fount of knowledge
and advice on steelheading and spey/switch rod fishing. I look forward to his
presence on the Kiene board. Welcome!
Best,
Larry S