PDA

View Full Version : Warning: scam on Tibor Gulfstream on the big auction site

windknot
01-25-2012, 12:29 AM
[moderators: if this post violates forum rules, I apologize and please feel free to remove it.]

Hi guys,

I have a public service announcement: a Tibor Gulfstream was just listed on Ebay with a Buy It Now price of $235.97 by a new seller with a 0 feedback rating and I'm certain that this is the same person who has been operating a scam of similar auctions in the past. Forum rules prohibit linking to auctions, but the item number is 270899909519. Do not buy it!!!

Someone or multiple people are creating new Ebay accounts, listing high-end reels or rods in new condition with Buy It Now prices well below the MSRP, and using stock photos or photos taken from another Ebay seller's auction as well as stock descriptions. They're getting around Ebay's very solid Buyer Protection policies by somehow creating fake USPS tracking numbers which show the item to be delivered to your doorstep even when it was never shipped.

These scam auctions to look out for all have the following traits:
-Rod or reel retailing for $500-$700, listed for an amount between $200-$250
-Item location listed as somewhere near West Covina, CA (also City of Industry)
-Seller with 0 feedback and new account (you can tell by clicking on the seller profile)
-stock description with no additional text added

I know all this because I fell for the bait last year. I bought a Nautilus NV 11/12 last April for a BIN price of $249.75, paid, never received the item, entered into a lengthy Ebay and Paypal conflict resolution process, and ultimately was told I couldn't do anything about it either through Ebay or Paypal because the tracking information showed that the item was shipped. Even though the seller had 0 feedback, I figured I was safe to jump on it because of Ebay's Buyer Protection policy. I was wrong. Don't be stupid like me and take a chance on a new seller, relying on Ebay to protect you in case of fraud.

I've reported these items to Ebay every time I've seen them, but I don't know if the word is getting through. I remember seeing an Orvis Helios listed with all of these warning signs for just under $250.00 several months back; it was snapped up within the hour, and I hope nobody on this board fell victim.

Please distribute this message to other popular fly fishing classifieds boards if you can. I know it's only a couple hundred bucks, and the odds are slim that whoever ends up buying that Gulfstream would read this in time, but I spent a couple of very frustrating months trying to get my money back and so I feel it's my duty to try to prevent this from happening to someone else.

Thanks,
Matt

SF fly fisher
01-25-2012, 04:27 AM
Matt, thanks a lot for the heads up on this scam. I was also shocked about the lack of support from paypal and e-bay, so now one needs to be extra cautious and through in checking out the seller on e-bay.

windknot
01-25-2012, 09:32 AM
Thanks SF. It looks like the auction has been removed (hopefully by Ebay and not by the seller, so that it'll be harder for the seller to try again later), so I'm glad nobody fell into the trap this time.

FISHEYE
01-25-2012, 10:20 AM
I never buy from someone with 0 feedback. NEVER!

Rich Morrison
01-25-2012, 02:25 PM
I never buy from someone with 0 feedback. NEVER!

That checks....

windknot
01-25-2012, 02:37 PM
Definitely agree (and practice this myself now).