PDA

View Full Version : 10ft conversion to a switch rod

bphi
01-24-2012, 12:30 PM
Anybody has done this or know of someone who can do this. I have a 10ft rod and thinking of putting a lower grip but don't know how.

rickhansen
01-24-2012, 01:31 PM
Fairly simple, if you are a tad bit mechanically inclined.
What is the make? Weight? Does it have a fighting butt?

Rick

bphi
01-24-2012, 09:07 PM
10ft redington rod 7wt with a fighting butt

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-25-2012, 12:29 AM
Dave Hendrickson, our barber and rod mechanic friend down the street from our shop has done this several times now for Rick Jorgensen.

He just puts a Switch rod size bottom grip, kind of like a longer fighting butt on them.

**Then you will have about a 10'6" #5 Switch rod.

Brig Jones
01-26-2012, 08:56 PM
Jim Clarkson, owner of Raptor rod works in Chico, has done two for me. A+ craftmanship. Fair price. Good Luck, Brig Jones.

Woodman
01-26-2012, 10:11 PM
Dave Hendrickson, our barber and rod mechanic friend down the street from our shop has done this several times now for Rick Jorgensen.

He just puts a Switch rod size bottom grip, kind of like a longer fighting butt on them.

**Then you will have about a 10'6" #5 Switch rod.

Buff did one for me also. A 10' TFO Teeny 6 weight into a switch. I think I paid $25.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-26-2012, 11:33 PM
Try to get out on the Lower American River and watch some of the guys casting two-handed fly rods for Steelhead now.

One of the big deals with spey casting is that you can cast without making a back cast like when you are backed up against the bushes or rocks.

Also for us old guys it is nicer on your right shoulder because you don't have to use only one arm.

Spey rods are mostly for classic steelheadfishing or atlantic salmon.

It is also for swinging soft hackles or streamers for trout in medium size to larger trout streams.

A big market is the Atlantic coast for wading for Stripers because they have a better situation there for surf action. This is overhead casting for distance.

If we don't have high water this spring (March/April/May) we will have free Half-pounder classes again and we will have free Switch rod demos too where you don't need to bring anything.