PDA

View Full Version : Topo Maps

k.hanley
01-20-2012, 09:24 AM
Considering some recent discussions I thought a few folks would enjoy this............

Topo Refresher
http://medialibrary.pacificextremes.com/pacific-extremes-freshwater.php?vid=4

Cheers, Ken

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-20-2012, 10:00 AM
That's great Ken....I have never had anyone explain all that before.

k.hanley
01-20-2012, 10:55 AM
My pleasure Bill.

Topographic Maps are a very valuable tool indeed. Hard copy maps still provide a significant amount of information for those folks willing to work with these tools. Flat out -- they get critical information in your hand.

Cheers, Ken

Ned Morris
01-20-2012, 05:09 PM
My B.S. in Geography with Cartography Emphasis from Oregon cost over 40K (15 years ago) and all I ever used it for was summed up here in Ken's link. Good stuff Ken! I still have a library of old 15 minute USGS maps which are priceless and invaluable resource when headed in the backcountry. Using your own catographic methods can take you to some amazing places and waters that produce some the finest fishing on the planet.

Considering some recent discussions I thought a few folks would enjoy this............

Topo Refresher
http://medialibrary.pacificextremes.com/pacific-extremes-freshwater.php?vid=4

Cheers, Ken

jburge
01-20-2012, 05:36 PM
Really great stuff Ken! Thanks for putting all the work into it and sharing it with us all. It's funny how many people are hesitant to go "old school" and read a map.

FWIW, I've also found that National Geographic has some really nice computer software for searching topos and even creating your own maps with specialized print-outs. I've used them for a number of solo backpacking trips.

John

Ed Wahl
01-20-2012, 09:51 PM
You're right about that John, I've had their TOPO program for years. I haven't been back into a drafting supply shop since. Way good for doing research as well as printing out your own maps.
Just be sure to buy the 'waterproof' paper. :D

Ed

Fly Guy Dave
01-21-2012, 09:32 AM
In the latest edition of California Fly Fisher there is a very useful and solid article on using topo maps for finding new waters for angling.

--F.G. Dave

royewest
01-21-2012, 04:07 PM
I ordered the stream map mentioned in the CFF maps article. It's spectacular. Can't wait to get seriously lost using it...

k.hanley
01-21-2012, 08:54 PM
Ned........ Very cool post. Thank you! Let's see 40K over 15 years, heck I think my little video should get me a cold brew don't ya think. Only joking. I appreciate your support.

John....... You're welcome. I love those Nat Geo maps. ED is correct (did I actually just admit that in print!?) get the waterproof paper brother.

Dave...... That was indeed a nice article in CFF. I too enjoyed it.

Roy........ Stay safe. Keep a sense of humor. The adventure is worth the effort.

Cheers, Ken

Ed Wahl
01-22-2012, 12:53 AM
[ ED is correct ]

Ken, was there more to your post? That was all I could read. :)

I waded a bit deep once with a self printed map in my hip pocket. When I started out for the next lake I saw that I had quite effectivley erased that portion of my map. All gone, just white paper where my last spot was supposed to be.
Good times were had by all. :rolleyes:

Ed

Noel de Guzman
01-22-2012, 09:51 AM
FWIW, I've also found that National Geographic has some really nice computer software for searching topos and even creating your own maps with specialized print-outs. I've used them for a number of solo backpacking trips.

John

I've been an occasional lurker here, and have finally decided to post for the first time.

I thought some of you may be interested in the USGS electronic topos that you can download. While, as Ken says, having a topo in the field is extremely useful, even having an electronic version at home while 'studying' can be helpful. If you're a map-geek, like me, then you may want to download some.

Here's the link: http://store.usgs.gov/b2c_usgs/usgs/maplocator/%28xcm=r3standardpitrex_prd&layout=6_1_61_48&uiarea=2&ctype=areaDetails&carea=%24ROOT%29/.do

Dean Y.
01-22-2012, 10:07 AM
I've been an occasional lurker here, and have finally decided to post for the first time.

I thought some of you may be interested in the USGS electronic topos that you can download. While, as Ken says, having a topo in the field is extremely useful, even having an electronic version at home while 'studying' can be helpful. If you're a map-geek, like me, then you may want to download some.

Here's the link: http://store.usgs.gov/b2c_usgs/usgs/maplocator/%28xcm=r3standardpitrex_prd&layout=6_1_61_48&uiarea=2&ctype=areaDetails&carea=%24ROOT%29/.do

The link doesn't seem to work. Is there something missing at the end there? thanks.

Ralph
01-22-2012, 10:50 AM
Right on Kenny. The next level is to overlay your topos with geologic maps. You don't necessarily need to know anything about geology to use them. Simply identify some of your favorite waters and note the color coding that underlies that water AND the color coding of the source of that water. Scan the maps for similar color codes, and if a stream or lake reside there, better than even odds it will be better than the average puddle of spit. Check 'em out and good venturing: Here is the index of maps: http://www.consrv.ca.gov/cgs/rghm/rgm/250k_index/Pages/250k_index.aspx
Here is a sample map (Chico): http://ngmdb.usgs.gov/ngm-bin/ILView.pl?sid=63087_1.sid&vtype=b

k.hanley
01-22-2012, 12:29 PM
Great tip Ralph! I'm jumping all over that. Gotta love the next step. Thanks again for your support bud it's much appreciated.

Cheers, Kenny

PS: If you're interested I'd be stoked to have you do a short vid project with me. I have a couple of ideas rolling around my head. You are always invited to be part of the fun!

Ralph
01-22-2012, 02:02 PM
Is there home brew involved? If so, count me in!

Noel de Guzman
01-22-2012, 02:17 PM
The link doesn't seem to work. Is there something missing at the end there? thanks.

You may be copying and pasting the link... just click on it. Alternatively, right click and go to 'copy link location' and then paste into the url address bar.

jbird
01-22-2012, 02:19 PM
the usefulness of this thread is reaching epic proportions! Thanks for all the great info guys!

jburge
01-22-2012, 09:03 PM

Dean,

That might be a web browser issue. I had no problems in Chrome or Firefox, but sheepishly (being a Mac guy) have to admit it didn't load in Safari.

And as a side note... one of the things I really like about the NG software is its searchability. I can plug in the name of a creek, river, mountain, pass, etc. and drill down to specific locations. Then, I can actually draw out my routes and get a good idea of both the distance I have to cover as well as how much elevation gain/loss I may have to undertake. Like jbird said, the usefulness of this thread of growing by the day :-)

John

Scott V
01-23-2012, 08:27 AM
What up Captain Noel, I was hoping to see you here some day.

k.hanley
01-23-2012, 10:31 AM
Howdy Dean,
Here's a little note to confuse you a bit more -- I'm currently on a my Mac laptop (using Safari). The links worked fine when I clicked on them. Go figure? Cyberspace -- love it -- hate it -- always an adventure.

I clicked on the links in Ralph's post just minutes ago.

Try them again perhaps? Good luck.
Cheers, Ken

Adam Grace
02-03-2012, 11:55 AM
Ken, you are a wealth of useful information and our world of fly fishing owes you a big thank you for all that you have contributed and every piece of information that you will so happily share with anyone. You are a stand up guy and I feel lucky to have known you over the years.

k.hanley
02-03-2012, 01:49 PM
Thanks Adam. I certainly appreciate your post and continuing support.

Please send all payoffs as a stack of unmarked $20's in an unmarked brown envelope.

How the heck are your studies going? Getting close to graduation perhaps?

Cheers, Ken

Adam Grace
02-03-2012, 03:34 PM
Yes, I am very close to graduating, thanks for your interest. I will be graduating this Spring with a degree in Communication Design (graphic design.) I recently started my first internship at a respectable business called ChicoBag Inc. ChicoBag manufactures reusable bag made from postconsumer recycled material which are made to be easy to bring along and designed to replace the use of plastic bags that create so much unnecessary waste. ChicoBag is a very environmentally conscious business that I am very proud to be interning at as a graphic designer.

About one year ago I proposed to my Japanese study-abroad student name Natsuki, she makes me very happy and if all the paperwork and transitional requirements go smoothly we should be married by the end of this year :)

I have been working two jobs as well as attending college full time almost during my whole journey through my college experience therefore I have not had much time to fish. Luckily this last semester of mine will allow for some more free time for me and I have a fishing trip to the north coast in March hence my re-emergence onto the Kiene's board.

Ken, would you have any advice on a fishery to visit for steelhead in March, especially since you have fished all over this great state of ours. I have been told that the SF of the Eel would be a good option in March especially since my group of friends and I are hoping to reduce driving times and would prefer warmer temperatures for cost-saving tent camping (no matter how much of a fleeting hope that will become in March ;) ) My group of friends is inexperienced and will be doing some light wading. Any suggestions or wisdom to impart upon me? :)

BTW, sorry for the lengthy amount of text :)

k.hanley
02-03-2012, 07:36 PM
Wow! That's all terrific news Adam. Life is good for you. N-i-c-e.

I saw your other posts on the steelhead trip. You've been given good solid ideas from the board community. SF Eel is a grand river experience.
Cheers, Ken

Adam Grace
02-06-2012, 11:08 PM
Thanks for your input Ken :)