PDA

View Full Version : Lots of Steelhead in the Lower American River

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-19-2012, 01:03 AM
Had a fisheries biologist in the shop today who has been doing steelhead redds survey on the river between Sailor Bar and Sunrise Bridge.

Two weeks ago the counts were low.

Today they are about 5 time what they were two weeks ago.

He said it was time to go and he was buying flies and thinking of hitting it with Andy Guibord.

__________________________________________________ _____________________

If you fish the runs below the Sunrise Bridge you will have a better chance of catching a fresh run Steelhead.

ZWhit
01-21-2012, 07:41 PM
Fished well below sailor bar today. A ton of people fishing in the shallows, riffles just below the bar. Isn't that where steelhead spawn? Isn't that a no-no?

Jed Peters
01-21-2012, 08:16 PM
Should be a no-no for sure....but oh well--what are you gonna do.

ZWhit
01-21-2012, 08:35 PM
You may be right, but doesn't hurt to remind people next time I pass through.

cyama
01-22-2012, 12:02 AM
There were four pairs of steelies at upper sunrise yesterday. Bright Chrome and big. The biggest steelies I have seen on the American I would guess 10-15 pounders. They have probably been snagged off by now, but it was great to see big ass steelies finning sideways on the redds.

Blueracer
01-22-2012, 10:05 AM
Bill, did you happen to ask the biologist about why they close part of the river for salmon spawning but not for steelhead spawning?

Does anyone know why they don't? I would interested in the answer. (and I don't mean it would have to be the same amount of river closed) -Thanks

Dragking
01-22-2012, 04:09 PM
I fished Upper Sunrise yesterday and could not believe my eyes went I wandered up to lower Sailor Bar. There was no less than 15 guys standing shoulder-to-shoulder on that riffle, flogging the water with spey gear.

For all the talk that does around about leaving spawning fish alone, I was surprised. I wish they would close that section so number would improve.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-22-2012, 10:14 PM
Bill, did you happen to ask the biologist about why they close part of the river for salmon spawning but not for steelhead spawning?

Does anyone know why they don't? I would interested in the answer. (and I don't mean it would have to be the same amount of river closed) -Thanks

Their private company is just hired by the government to count the Redds.