PDA

View Full Version : more stream etiquette

JasonB
01-17-2012, 10:39 AM
Slightly different topic from the recent thread on stream etiquette, this one just on wading situations. Lets just assume that this a popular stream such as the EW, or LT but on an "off day"; in other words there are a number of other anglers fishing the water but there's plenty of good water for everyone to fish rather than being jam packed. If it's jam packed I'm likely to move on or take up lawn darts instead of even bothering.

So I'm wondering what opinions more seasoned and worldly anglers have on these questions:
1) how long is reasonable to sit on a hole, at what point would one become a bogart? Does the number of fish hooked/landed affect this time frame in any way?
2)does this change depending on how many people are in your group? In other words should a person fishing solo move through a hole more quickly than a party of 2 or 3 that are sharing that water?
3)the brings up another issue: how many people is too many? what is a "reasonable" number of people in any given group, at what point does the size of your group become rude?

I'm asking partially for some guidance, as I don't want to be "that guy" who leaves others feeling P.O. and bitter. I'm also just curious what sorts of discussion some of these key points might bring out. I have my own thoughts on each of those, with the answers clearly depending a lot on the situation.

Seems to me that in the case of #1, it would become rude if one or more groups had already expressed interest in fishing the same water and you had either caught some fish out of the hole or had the chance to work the water with a couple of different fly set ups already. To be honest though sometimes I've been uncertain if I'm camping out too long, or if another person is pushing me out of that water before I've had a fair shake at it.

I'm thinking that in the case of #2, the group size shouldn't change things that much. Clearly 2-3 people need a bit more time for each person to get a chance, but on the other hand the impact in regards to other anglers wishing to fish that water would mean that others could have a hard time getting a decent shot at that water if each member of the party got to fully exhaust their chances at fishing it.

As for the 3rd one, I may be a bit of a grump on this one but I'm kind of a "two's company, three's a crowd" type. I've never really enjoyed big party groups in just about any activity that I do, and tend to avoid such scenes if at all possible... but that's just me.

curious at to what others think.
JB

Mike R
01-17-2012, 10:55 AM
Here's my take on these scenarios:
1) As long as you want. If I'm in a good spot that I'm hooking fish, I'm probably not going to give it up. I didn't beat everybody else out here just so I can give my spot to the guy who slept in or spent an hour putting on their waders. If you're cool, I'll probably let you rotate through with me. I'll move when I'm ready.

2) Depends. When I fish in a group, we usually don't fish at the same time, but rather rotate through a spot. We may fish at the same time if it's a large area, though.

3) See #2. I have seen groups of 4 or 5, work a river as well as a solo guy and I've seen two guys that might as well have been a herd of cattle.

Mike

Rossflyguy
01-17-2012, 01:36 PM
I agree with Mike. Its first come first served. This isn't an amusement park. Im not leaving a spot that producing. Who cares what others think. Just as long as your not snagging fish, killing fish, or stomping on redds then it doesn't matter what others think. Just don't be an a**hole and i think everyone will be fine.

Fly Guy Dave
01-17-2012, 03:00 PM
I have to agree with Mike and Ross for #1. If I'm in the bucket, its doubtful that I'd be willing to give it up after a short time. Also, I believe the tradition on places like Silver Creek in ID and on the Ranch section of Henry's Fork, is that you show up early before the hatch and "stake out your spot" on the river. I've done that several times on those streams, sometimes out of necessity, since they can get so crowded.

However, if I'm working a nice piece of water and getting nothing for my efforts, I'll move along to try some new water and perhaps the new guy on the water has better technique (quite possible), or the hot fly, and they can get it to produce while I couldn't. Good for them, I say.

As far as #2 and #3, I'm with you when it comes to crowds, so I will often fish new and uncrowded water to avoid any run-ins with other anglers, thus making etiquette unnecessary. I have made an effort to avoid streams that are having a "fish out" or a "bash" or any other fishing event where hordes of anglers are all over the water. A part of fly fishing (for me, at least) is about getting AWAY from crowds, not seeking them out.

My dos centavos.

--F.G. Dave

loganmike
01-17-2012, 03:06 PM
I've personally fished with MikeR and can attest that he is a no good low holing dirty swinger that catches fish. Seriously.

Hi Mike:)

me

PS: any ducks?

PPS: Need to ask a few questions about doggie hunting camp for the new pup!

Dave E.
01-17-2012, 05:13 PM
Add another one for Mike R's response.

jbird
01-17-2012, 05:28 PM
I look at it like this... If I come to a spot thats taken, I dont expect them to give it up for me. i'll find another spot. but then again, if someone wants my spot so bad that they hover and wait me out...I'll probably move sooner than I would have.

JasonB
01-17-2012, 05:38 PM
I'm a bit surprised that all responses so far indicate that camping out on a hot spot indefinitely seems to be ok; first one there gets it in other words. I must say I have a different opinion on that one. I am not saying that I'd leave a producing spot after a fish or two, or after a short period of time. Still seems like there should be some "reasonable" time frame that would also allow others to get to fish that spot at some point. I kind of shudder at the idea of everyone racing each other to get that one good spot, with those who show up late not getting any decent water to fish... I have no intention of ever getting involved in a rate race for good fishing water and think that if it did come down to that I'd have to find another hobby.

I am new to this sport so maybe I'm way out there on this one, but I always sort of had this idea that it was custom to share the water with others. Seems like it would be reasonable to give it a fair crack, hopefully pull in a few fish and then move to the next spot. Apparently so far I'm in the absolute minority on this one, honestly kind of surprised.
JB

jbird
01-17-2012, 06:03 PM
Jason, I dont think anyone is suggesting camping on a spot for hours and hours. If you do you are handicapping yourself, not the guys wanting to fish that spot. And it varries from one individual to the next. but dont expect someone to clear out of a spot just cause you are acting anxious to move in. the bottom line is to communicate with other guys on the water and it will all work out.

Yard Sale
01-17-2012, 06:07 PM
How about fishing like nobody was around? No matter how "hot" one spot is I guess I'm more of a grass is greener around the bend type and like to go looking for the next challenge. Sounds kinda lame to just stand in one spot and clean up. But thats just me, and honestly I avoid places where there would be this issue like the plague!

On a related note I spent some time fishing with a F&G buddy Sunday. He was telling me about shocking a river for counts. Biggest suprise was how many fish were in places he had always passed up for more "prime" water. As in hundreds of fish... just a thought.

Frank Alessio
01-17-2012, 06:34 PM
Now there is an Idea using Electricity to keep Other Flyfishermen moving... Would not have to ask me twice....

rusty fly
01-17-2012, 11:35 PM
applies to everything else why shouldn't it apply to fishing. I would never expect someone to get out of my way or get into my way.

Dave E.
01-18-2012, 08:52 AM
Hello Jason,

An excerpt from your first post:
Slightly different topic from the recent thread on stream etiquette, this one just on wading situations. Lets just assume that this a popular stream such as the EW, or LT but on an "off day"; in other words there are a number of other anglers fishing the water but there's plenty of good water for everyone to fish rather than being jam packed. If it's jam packed I'm likely to move on or take up lawn darts instead of even bothering.
JB

The answers you received were based on the scenario you presented.

Now you're saying this:

I kind of shudder at the idea of everyone racing each other to get that one good spot, with those who show up late not getting any decent water to fish... I have no intention of ever getting involved in a rate race for good fishing water and think that if it did come down to that I'd have to find another hobby.
JB

There’s either enough good water for everyone, or there isn’t. But please don’t paint us as bad sportsmen for answering your first question honestly.

Thank you, Dave

Morgan
01-18-2012, 09:11 AM
If its a good bucket and it keeps producing fish I'll keep fishing it until it slows down. I dont care if someone is waiting or not....if im there first....suck it!

JasonB
01-18-2012, 09:14 AM
Maybe my comments weren't clear enough, I wasn't trying to paint anyone as being bad sports. I wasn't making any question about expecting others to move on either. My original question came more from a place of wondering when/if I would be considered rude to others for camping out on a spot. The comments about getting there first made me see a logical extension that *could* lead to a different kind of experience where racing to stake out a spot became essential. That would seem like a downer to me.

The scenario I meant to lay out was one where it wasn't a problem to find other good water, but one where there were enough people that there was interest from others in fishing the same water at some point in time. It seems to me like there would be some point where it would be polite to move along and try some other water. It's not really ever caused any issue with me personally, but I've sometimes wondered if I had maybe been staked out for a bit long at a spot when there were other groups walking back and forth in search of some additional water to play. I usually do end up moving on anyways, but I've cut out of a hole or two a bit earlier when I knew there were others hungry to try their luck at it as well.

I wanted some others perspectives on these issues and I'm happy they've been given. Thanks,
JB

Terry Imai
01-18-2012, 10:51 PM
I believe everyone has their own definition of fishing a particular spot on a river, stream or even lake. I'm a firm believer that 20% of the spots contains 80% of your intended item which can cover fish, game or anything else. If I wake up early and row downstream fast enough to plant my flag on a particular spot, I expect to be there as long as I want until I determine when to move on.

There are several spots on the Bighorn River (Montana) that have some real pigs stacking up for some serious dry fly action. My partner and I would get up at 5:00 am to take our driftboat down to these predetermined areas to wait out a particular hatch. We generally would put our drift boat anchored on the shore and one of us would move 20-30 yards upstream and the other will be a similar distance upstream awaiting the expected hatch. As I mentioned in a similar post, it would always be someone in a rental boat expecting that they're going to squeeze their between my friend and I to park their boat and join us without an invitation. Needless to say, that was not going to happen. Often words may be said but I would take the view of that I woke up 2-3 hours before these guys and I'm going to give them this prime location?? Not going to happen. The funny part that these guys would say was "you don't own the whole river" and I would reply that I was "leasing" this 20 yards at this particular time.

The Bighorn River would often get a ton of Pennsylvania fishermen and I would talk to them in the coffee shop and about their streamside etiquette. One guy told me he was waiting out their infamous Drake hatch and was waiting in the water a few hours before the hatch was to take place. He had to go to the shore to relieve himself and when he turned around, someone moved into his spot. He told me that Pennsylvania has that type of "rules" of when you vacate a spot, it's open season for everyone else. I'm happy that we're in the West.

There's a particular Hot Creek "expert" who goes around the Southern California clubs professing his special Hot Creek techniques. This involves casting to the opposite shore with a big hopper or crackback pattern. He figures that if you cover enough water, a rare fish (and often a big one) will come up to grab it. This technique does run counter to the concepts of Hot Creek Ranch where they prefer you to "rifle" shoot your fish than perform a "flock shooting". I have experienced several instances on Hot Creek where I'm waiting a fish out and he'll move right through my water when he casts to the opposite shore. Worst part of it was when I told him not to cast through my water, he just acted like he couldn't hear me. I was irritated enough to grab his rod and toss it in the creek.

jbird
01-19-2012, 09:26 AM
Canada has some notoriously ettiquet-less fisherpeople. I have dozens of examples. The one that sums it up best was my buddy dave and I were on the world famous Roche lake in Kamloops. When we got on the water it was pouring rain and horrible and there was narry another boat on the lake. As the rain subsided, we finally spotted some fish working in a very small, reed-lined bay. We quietly pulled in and started catching some nice fish on damsel nymphs. Out of nowhere another boat slides in, drops anchor and starts casting toward us and all around us. They proceeded to outfish us badly as they were locals and had the "magic" fly. The kicker was, these guy were extremely nice and talked to us like we were long lost pals...made it hard to express our true feelings for their invasion. We peicfully fished together but it was awkward.

that night, I talked to Brian Chan and he chuckled about it, saying, "Welcome to Canada"

JasonB
01-19-2012, 09:47 AM
I think that some of the wording I may have used has caused this thread to take a few wrong turns, perhaps some of the specific points hit a nerve with some. Before this thread diverts too far off an a tangent, I just wanted to make clear that the original questions were intended as a means to:

A) avoid conflict, and not irritate other anglers (or at least minimize these)

B) become a better representative of our sport, do my part at making this sport enjoyable for all. To me personally this means being aware and taking considerations for other anglers, while still getting the most out of my own fishing time.

C) hopefully create some dialog from the seasoned experts that proliferate this forum, giving others some things to consider on how to do a better job at this (especially us newer folks)

I'm sure we all have some stories to share about some jerk or another, or how we were wronged; but I'd prefer to focus on the positive things we can do to not be that guy. What sorts of considerations and/or concessions can we all make that might prevent a few more of those bitter negative experiences.

Thanks,
JB

jbird
01-19-2012, 10:06 AM
I think the reason we are giving examples is because there isnt one right or wrong answer. Different situations bend the rules. We arent machines dealing with other machines. Let the situation dictate your decision. Reading your posts leads me to think you already have the right answers to your questions.

Theres people who dont have a clue that probably need a list of rules to guide them. you appear to have a good handle on the matter. As do most folks around here. So my only advise to you would be...

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v283/jbird35/14022.jpg

Frank R. Pisciotta
01-19-2012, 04:10 PM
Sierra Fisherman magazine's Spring 2011 "Pro-Tip" feature was entitled "Etiquette-Wading Streams". For those who didn't see it; please read below:

Etiquette---Wading Streams

Angling Etiquette is a broad topic as it applies to fly fishing. Simply, I believe the Golden Rule of “do unto others as you would have them do unto you” applies regardless of where and how you fish. A good dose of common sense also applies when interacting with other anglers. We are on the water because we want to experience an enjoyable fly angling experience.

There are different types of civility while wade-fishing, drifting-fishing or lake angling. Lake angling customs are different than when we drift-fish a river. This installment of “Pro-Tips” we are focused on etiquette as it applies to wading streams.

Another consideration is that angling etiquette can be pertinent to a specific body of water; as in a river, lake or more broadly region. For instance the Little Truckee in the Tahoe region requires different manners as one would find at Hot Creek or Hat Creek. In the former, local etiquette requires a minimum 50 yards of spacing between fly anglers, while at the latter…as little as a cast apart.

Some interesting suggestions appear below; expounding on some of the general ideas mentioned above. One advice I never considered, but it has always been an issue of politeness if you spend a lot time wading in moving waters.

Frank R. Pisciotta
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When venturing to non-home-waters the first thing I do is go to the local fly shop and ask about the appropriate stream etiquette for a specific body of water. I’m looking for info relative to acceptable separation in amount of feet or water-types such as runs, holes or bends in the river. If there is no fly shop I’ll look for a person who looks like a “local” and request an assist as to where I might find the information.

In the absence of the two aforementioned possibilities, I’ll go to the stream. While there, initially, I’ll wait and observe. If I see a person there who looks like they know the water, I’ll wait for an opportune time and ask them for advice on etiquette. Obviously, if there is no one present, I’ll just start fly fishing and apply my own, perceived etiquette; the hope being that it is reciprocated if another angler comes into the same area.

Molly Semenik
www.tietheknotflyfishing.com

Let’s face it, with so many anglers and guides/clients on public water these days there just aren’t too may secrets left. This is why private water angling has become so popular. This impact has brought about a resurgence of something we call “Stream Etiquette”.

Where I grew up learning the art and traditions of fly-fishing in Northern Scotland, I was always instructed to fish upstream and give way to anglers I encountered along my way. I remember asking my uncles “what do I do when I come up on someone?’ Their reply was forthright and very practical as most Scottish advice is. “Just go around them, and go around far enough not disturbing them!” Simple.

Rules or protocols on the river may vary a little by region however, the most important ingredients are good manners mixed with a little common sense. You can’t be angry if another angler or guide and client have beaten you to your favorite run or pool regardless if they are local or from out of town. Simply “go around them and go far enough around them that you do not disturb there fishing!”

Pat Timmins
www.rawahranch.com

I’m a steelheader; and if I see someone stepping on redds. I advise the angler, in no uncertain terms, to “Get off the redds!” To me, being on redds is a major violation of etiquette in moving waters; regardless of whether the angler is unaware of their fishery-degradation or not. Some anglers just don’t realize the damage they are causing, so it is our job to educate those anglers.
When I approach a section of water that I want to fish and I see an angler already there, generally, I’ll move-on and will go to another run. Many times we access spots by drift boat, so it’s easy to just go to the other side of the river or float to the next run. If there is an angler I’m familiar with, I’ll ask if I can join them; providing there is sufficient room so that we both can efficiently work the water.
Zac Kaufman
www.morrisonslodge.com

When it comes to wade-fishing for steelhead, all an angler has to do is ask them one question. Would that behavior tick-me off? If you think twice about the answer, then DON’T DO IT! Being called a “’low-holing #%+&* is not a compliment. When someone takes the time and effort to get on the water earlier than you, they deserve to fish that run; period. Do not wade-in 50 yards below them. The accepted method for swinging flies is to start at the head (top end) of the run, and fish downstream from there. However, one acceptable alternative is to simply ask if you can fish ABOVE THEM. Yes, I know this sounds counter-intuitive to a trout fly angler.

One last opinion; being in a drift-boat does not give one the right to fish water over someone who is wading! Have respect for one another and share the water.

John Fochetti
foesweasel2001@yahoo.com

Let’s face it; almost everyone who loves the outdoors has a dog. We can’t leave our best friend at home, but it is important that you know your dog well; especially when you consider stream etiquette. I have seen dogs that sit on the bank and never leave their owner’s side and others that run wild on the river, running through fishing holes and blowing-out fish. So, sadly enough if you can’t control your best friend then it is best for everyone if you leave the pup home.

Mike Curtis
info@tahoeflyfishing

Bob Loblaw
01-19-2012, 05:25 PM
If and when fly fishing turns into golf with a big thick rule book, a dress code, people asking to play through and marshalls ordering me to speed up or move along, I'll take up basket weaving or speelunking.

If I'm fishing a hole and I'm catching fish and enjoying myself I'll keep doing so. If I see a guy loitering on the bank wanting a shot at those same fish I'll probably start feeling like a hole hog, stop having fun, (defeating the purpose of my fishing trip) and turn it over to him and move on to somewhere else.

I get precious few days to fish and I prefer them to be as stress free as possible. I have no interest in fishing elbow to elbow or waiting in line for a spot with anyone...no matter how big or hungry the fish. I'd rather hike a few miles into the boonies to a small stream with small fish and have the place to myself.

Watching Rivers of a Lost Coast and seeing hundreds of guys in the same hole and naval battles with prams attacking eachother had me scratching my head. Who the hell saw enjoyment in that? sure, there were a lot of big fish to catch, but thats not really what its all about...is it?

ownfl4g
01-19-2012, 08:49 PM
I completely agree with you, I work in downtown Sacramento and very often day dream of solitude and peacefulness when I head out to my spots. There are certain places or sections of rivers that I wont even bother with because I have to either fend off my spot or I just cant seem to relax knowing two guys are lurking around in the bushes behind me.

I have had guides bring their clients right up on me only the other side of the river and land several fish. If I had been catching fish I would have been fine with it, but they had to come over and really rub it in.

rusty fly
01-19-2012, 08:59 PM
Take a number and wait your turn. When you catch one, regardless of size move to the next spot and pull another number and wait.

ownfl4g
01-19-2012, 09:12 PM
May I just say it also pays off to have 4WD? I actually would rather fish a less productive area than put up with all the people and parking lots. Also another reason I still love my float tube :)

Ed Wahl
01-19-2012, 09:41 PM
Take a number and wait your turn.

What the hell?

Guys, these are the Sierra Nevadas, the tallest, nastiest, steepest mountain range in the lower 48. Find yourself a different stream. There are tons of them.

Ownfl4g's on the right track.

Where I fish if I see another angler period it's a crowded day. And that's under 2 hrs from Sacramento.

When I spot another angler I will climb up into the trees and put at least a quarter mile between him and me. That way by the time he reaches the point I re-entered the stream the fish have calmed down are feeding again and my footprints have dried, leaving him thinking he's the only soul in this canyon.

The same way I like to feel.

Lace up your boots boys and check out some maps. There's no reason for anyone looking for a quality fishing experience to put up with people lurking in the bushes. Leave the easy access for the tourists and find yourselves a piece of the 'real' Sierras.

It's a lot easier than you might think.

Sorry Jason, it's way off your original post but it just begged to be said.

Ed

JasonB
01-20-2012, 08:02 AM
What the hell?

Guys, these are the Sierra Nevadas, the tallest, nastiest, steepest mountain range in the lower 48. Find yourself a different stream. There are tons of them.

Ownfl4g's on the right track.

Where I fish if I see another angler period it's a crowded day. And that's under 2 hrs from Sacramento.

When I spot another angler I will climb up into the trees and put at least a quarter mile between him and me. That way by the time he reaches the point I re-entered the stream the fish have calmed down are feeding again and my footprints have dried, leaving him thinking he's the only soul in this canyon.

The same way I like to feel.

Lace up your boots boys and check out some maps. There's no reason for anyone looking for a quality fishing experience to put up with people lurking in the bushes. Leave the easy access for the tourists and find yourselves a piece of the 'real' Sierras.

It's a lot easier than you might think.

Sorry Jason, it's way off your original post but it just begged to be said.

Ed
Nah Ed, your post isn't really any further off track than any others.
Actually I agree with you almost entirely, and I'm almost certain that we fish a lot of the same waters in the summer months :D Then again, there are also some "other" waters that are kind of fun to fish from time to time that unfortunately are rather well known. I try to only visit them when I think that the crowds will be at an all time low, but sometimes I've not timed it right.

To be honest I've not had that many issues at all from other people, even on some of the more crowded days (actually some of the better sportsmanship/etiquette that I've run across was on some of the more crowded days that I fished). I guess the reason that I even wanted to bring up some discussion about the topic is that I've been lucky to have had some folks really go the extra mile to be kind, considerate, and often helpful to me. I am a little surprised by some of the direction that it took. I guess it sounds like I've been pretty fortunate so far compared with some of the negative interactions that were mentioned.

I think that this thread may have run its course, thanks for the input. I'll probably try this topic from a different angle at a later date, and be a bit more cautious on the wording.
JB

Mike R
01-20-2012, 01:09 PM
It's really simple. I'll provide an example of fishing some of the steelhead runs on the Trinity or any other SH river (GR, NUmp, etc):

If someone is fishing a run, it is taken. Might as well be private property. You don't go in it unless invited (or at least ask if you can come in at the top and they give the ok). It is their run until they decide it's time to move on.

I extend this courtesy to anybody on the river and expect the same in return. Trout fishing may work differently at times due to the different nature of the fish but the basic principle applies.

See ya,
Mike

NorCalDrifter56
01-20-2012, 01:11 PM
While I agree that fishing alone is by far and away the best way to fish this does not really address the etiquette issue. I am lucky to live close to some of the best and most interesting fly fishing in the west: Redding.

As a guide I fish the lower Sac a lot and there are always lots of folks (and boats) so the issue comes up a lot. Is it Ok for a drift boat to fish the other side of the run that a bank fisherman is fishing?

I also fish the Trinity..... same question.....Is it Ok for a drift boat to fish the other side of the run that a bank fisherman is fishing?

Two very different pieces of water.... same question... different answer.....
On the Trinity I always (I repeat ALWAYS) ask the bank angler that I must pass where he wants me to go so as not to disturb his hole and his fish. Anything less and a shouting match will surely ensue. This generally means that I go as close to his side of the bank as possible, usually between him/her and the bank.

On the lower Sac it is common to roll through the other side of the 'spot' and no ones gives it a second thought.

The difference is the size of the water (the hole or slot). My rule of thumb is that if it is at all possible to tangle lines while fishing you are too close. In addition it is very inappropriate to fish 'ahead' of another angler.

My personal style is to start at the bottom of a run and move upstream as I go. I have seen more than one 'cherry picker' drop in above me into what he/she believes top be the prime lie (the top of the riffle) and fish until I get there....... What they don't realize is that while they intend to vacate when I move up they may have 'spoiled' the spot by dropping in above and most likely spooking the best fish.

The idea to avoid people of course remedies all these issues.... But if you are looking for steelhead on the Trinity or a pleasant evening dry fly fishing on Hat Creek w/ #18 BWO's avoiding people is about impossible....so appropriate etiquette is important.

As a 'local' I am sympathetic to the folks that are trying to learn or maybe fish just a few days a year due to schedules etc...... their desire and enthusiasm just gets the best of them.....

In most cases the golden rule applies so I usaully do unto others as I would want them to do unto me......

Curtis Cole
NorCalDrifter@yahoo.com
www.curtsfishingadventures.com

bonneville54
01-20-2012, 02:19 PM
1) how long is reasonable to sit on a hole, at what point would one become a bogart?
JB

I certainly don't know the answer to that question as I must have fly fisherman's ADD...no matter how well I'm doing, the next riffle or hole always looks better.

I must admit, it's been a long time since I've seen "bogart" used in a sentence. ( I can't remember exactly how long)

Frank R. Pisciotta
01-21-2012, 12:59 PM
"...In most cases the golden rule applies so I usually do unto others as I would want them to do unto me...

Curtis Cole"

Curtis----We're on the same page :nod:; per my 1/19 post on this thread referencing the Pro-Tip" feature in Sierra Fisherman magazine's Spring 2011 issue...first paragraph, 2nd sentence. The "rule" is applicable, regardless of wading or drifting.

Frank R. Pisciotta
www.flyfishingcalifornia.blogspot.com

PS....Finally it is snowing! Currently there is 5" of very wet snow accumulating on my back deck at 6500' in Truckee. Amazingly...a "20-20" occurred while fly fishing yesterday, a 20" RainBow was duped by a #20 FlashBack W-40. The snow is welcome...the trout need it.

EricO
01-21-2012, 01:49 PM
Totally agree Ed. I spend a fair amount of time with my float tube hiking in the sierras. If i come across anybody at my favorite lakes it is rare. And usually it's just hikers, not fisherpeople.

Always looking for another secret spot...that's what makes it fun. Gotta love exploring!

EO

Terry Imai
02-01-2012, 05:11 PM
When I was a very serious golfer, it was very irritating to play behind a group who would constantly fall behind the group in front of them and unable to maintain the proper speed of play. One day when I was waiting in line to pay my green fees, a gentlemen ahead of me told his companion "since I'm paying my hard earned money to play today, I'm not going to worry about keeping up with anyone because they can go screw themselves". I was hoping that this guy was not going to be in the foursome ahead of me but as luck would have it, they were. Needless to say, this guy hit the mark about taking his own sweet time of taking his shot and the worst part of it was that he was a poor golfer to go along with his extremely slow play. Luckily, the golf marshal came around to request this foresome to either pick it up or leave the course.

Where I'm going with this situation is that we attempt to fish for the solitude of our situation but in most instances, we often have to "share" the resource. Depending upon the situation, I have worked in other single fisherman when working a run with the hopes that perhaps they can gleam a bit of stream etiqutte for the next time they may be in my waders.

Not that I'm running for sainthood, if I'm working dry fly on some nice pigs; then it's every man for themselves...