Indian Creek Lodge

Post Office Box 100

Douglas City, CA. 96024

Phone (530) 623-6294

www.iclodge.net

January 14, 2012

Report to the Indian Creek Lodge “Steelhead List”

Dear Fellow Steelheader—

Despite the lack of rain the steelhead season on the Trinity River continues to be very good—the best in four years. Drift boat guides are consistently reported double digit hookup days, and some double digit “to the net” days, and the walkers-and-waders who know the river have also been doing very well.

The low, gin clear water conditions actually tend to level the playing field for the walk-and-wade guys vs. the drift boats because stealth is important. In general, vary from the norm for the Trinity by fishing smaller flies (the usual patterns) on lighter tippets in deeper and slower water.

Slightly warmer water would help too, but we don’t have any gear for that.

We continue to receive forecasts of “chance of rain”—but no big storms are in sight yet. Reportedly the sand spit at the mouth of the Klamath is still creating a bottle neck with only shallow water over the bar at high tide. That will be washed clear as soon as we get a decent amount of rain in the Klamath-Trinity watershed, and then we should see a lot of fresh winter run fish busting up river.

We hope you come busting up here again this season too. I’m reluctant to be a forecaster, but there really are strong indications that we will have very good fishing for fresh wild Trinity steelhead well into March.

Tight lines,

John for The Gang @ Indian Creek Lodge

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-14-2012, 11:36 AM
Anglers who drive, park, walk & wade the river and that know the river and know how to fish are doing well.

Most anyone with a good drift boat guide, who also listens to the guide, will catch fish too.

It is very cold.........we are selling lots of waders and gloves right now.

I think the Klamath River is an over looked winter fishery.

Dave Neal
01-15-2012, 10:14 PM
"Most anyone with a good drift boat guide, who also listens to the guide, will catch fish too."

LMAO! Bill you always, succinctly, get great points across...

Also, I would highly recommend Indian Creek Lodge. John and his "gang" are good people and run a great operation... If you are coming, really consider this place!

Have to add Johnson's Steak House for dinner (at the golf course). I have been super impressed with their dinners and service!!!!

Heck, while I'm at it... Trinidelli for lunch and breakfast burritos is a must stop. Melanie comes in early for anglers/guides on weekends (she doesn't open till 11am usually) but makes my lunches and a smile everyday!

And lastly, if you need any fishing supplies that you forgot to get at Kienes, See Bill or Tim at Trinity Outdoors (next to CVS) these guys have become friends and have great small tackle shop.

Locals in Weaverville are old school and will help you out in any way they can. This has been my home away from home for over 3 months every season and it's the locals and small business owners that make it special.. I love this town.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-15-2012, 10:50 PM
Thanks for the tips Dave.....

STEELIES/26c3
01-16-2012, 07:10 PM
Don't forget pancakes at The Mustard Seed, Killer soup at the Mountain Marketplace and a cold beer at The Diggins~;)

trinity
01-16-2012, 09:19 PM
Thanks Dave for mentioning our restaurant at the golf course! Also, as a small business owner in Weaverville, having the support of the fishing communinty is huge and we really appreciate everything it brings. Its been a great year for fishing btw, cant wait to see what this storm does to shake it up!

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-17-2012, 10:59 AM
We use to eat at the "Country Club" (golf coarse) back in the 1970s? or was it the 1980s?

I have old freinds who use to fish the Trinity River before the dam was in.

Joe Shirshac (89 years old and still fishing) started fly fishing the Klamath and Trinity in 1950s.

Walt Bennet is still alive in his 80s now. He was one of the top Nor Cal Steelheaders of the day. I asked Walt where did he think the "hottest" Steelhead he ever caught were? He said the Trinity River before the dams. He said that at times they were so hot they would break off your fly on the strike.

Walt is in the move "Rivers of a Lost Coast".

Many of the 8 mm movie clips in the "Rivers of a lLst Coast" were taken by Joe Shirshac.

Imagine fly fishing in Nor Cal just after WWII?

If you have not watched "Rivers of a Lost Coast" be sure to do that.