PDA

View Full Version : Mather Lake

JAWallace
01-13-2012, 11:20 AM
Planted this week. Never fished it, and am thinking about taking my daughter out this weekend. Is that even reasonable after a plant? It looks small for pontoons and we're sure not going to bank fish. Thanks for any tips from the experienced !~ John

El Rey
01-13-2012, 12:27 PM
I've never been there, nor fished it, either. But what's the problem with the bank?

TIA
Harlan

JAWallace
01-13-2012, 12:51 PM
It's been my experience that fly fishing practically shoulder to shoulder with bait dunkers or hardware throwers isn't an altogether pleasant experience;-) Quarters are tight on Mather Pond.

Darian
01-13-2012, 02:10 PM
Mather Pond is OK for using float tubes. The fishing can be very good at times. I've seen some nice Black Bass/Catfish caught there. Never tried for Trout. :)

The only caution is that I wouldn't eat/keep any fish caught from there due to contamination of the water from Goose crap and I wouldn't come in contact with the water as it's undoubtedly full of duck mites that cause swimmers itch. The bank is usually covered with a layer of Goose crap as well. :-&

And, after all of that, the county expects you to pay for access. I've only fished it in the early spring (and then only twice). Not my favorite place.... :-|

JAWallace
01-13-2012, 02:24 PM
Darian, don't think we've met, but my acute perceptive nodes are telling me you're not employed as a Mather Pond PIO ;-)

Sounds just delightful so far. Maybe we'll try Folsom Lake, though I have no idea how it's doing, or how to fish it for anything but bass. Gotta pass, costs nothing but time, and they stocked it a week ago. WTH....

DFrink
01-13-2012, 03:08 PM
I went to Mather Last winter just after a plant. Probably never go back. There is a small area along the dam were the bait guys fish, it was packed. The water clarity may be an issue (was for me). And the pond itself wasn't very nice. I've never fished Folsom from a tube, but I'd give that a try before going back to Mather. It wasn't my cup of tea.

Dan

Scott V
01-13-2012, 03:47 PM
Shig and I have caught tons of fish at Mather right after the planting. Yes the water is gross, no you don't want to soak in it. but you can have crazy fish number days there. Plus I have caught some real nice bass out of there, but the water is nasty, just wear good waders and rinse everything off once you get home. During the winter you are really limited to where you can go for trout at a descent price.

SHigSpeed
01-14-2012, 11:12 AM
Shig and I have caught tons of fish at Mather right after the planting. Yes the water is gross, no you don't want to soak in it. but you can have crazy fish number days there. Plus I have caught some real nice bass out of there, but the water is nasty, just wear good waders and rinse everything off once you get home. During the winter you are really limited to where you can go for trout at a descent price.

Yup, it may not be for everyone, but it's fun of you can take the "company".

Oh, and there are big carp in there too - I was lucky enough to get one on a three-weight in exchange for a few minutes of fun being dragged around.

_SHig

JAWallace
01-29-2012, 01:26 PM
Went out this morning, 2.5 hours trolling, casting, stripping, indicatoring, zippo. DFG had it listed as a plant this past week. Graphed maybe three fish. Only four or five bankers, one caught that I saw the entire time. Now to sanitize the Scadden and waders;-)

SHigSpeed
01-30-2012, 01:53 PM
"listed as a plant this past week"

There's your problem. After the truck, it's 24/7 harvest limits be damned until they're all gone - usually 3 days. You have to hit it right it'll suck.

_SHig