PDA

View Full Version : smith river casting lessons

thepeacockspecial
01-11-2012, 08:51 PM
I am happy to say I will be visiting the Smith River next weekend. Unfortunately, I will only have a 3 hour window to fish in the early AM while my gf is still sleeping. Yes, I'm sneaking out. It's my first time there, and I have to wet my line. I've emailed a few people already regarding wading access, but all of them seem to tell me to go above the forks.. since the place around the jed state park will be filled with boats. I've tried looking online for information regarding the area above the forks, but I can't find the right information. For those of you who have gone above the forks for your "Casting Lessons".. how is the river like on the 199? I was looking at a map and it looks like the river is right next to the road. I'm just trying to figure out where I should be, so that I can find a place close by for me and my gf to stay for her birthday. Thanks.

Darian
01-11-2012, 09:46 PM
Let me see if I understand this correctly.... You're taking your gf to the Smith River so you can get in 3 hours of fishing :?: And, she's not fishing :?: :?: You're doomed my friend. As I recall, there's not a heck of a lot of really nice places to stay for a special occasion in or around Crescent City.... :|

All kinds of nice places south of there, tho. :D

thepeacockspecial
01-11-2012, 10:06 PM
haha. well.. we are actually headed there to check out the dunes, lighthouses, lagoons, redwoods, and we both love the misty fog the north coast has to offer, along with the rocky coast line. She's allowing me a few hours in the early AM to go get some casts in

Ben J
01-11-2012, 10:17 PM
Try the Sandy Beach access area on the South Fork for a quick fix.

Bruce Slightom
01-12-2012, 08:33 AM
http://www.patrickcreeklodge.net/

Patrick Lodge is a nice place to stay. Although 199 runs the length of the river there is not a great deal of access to the river and where there is there will most likely be someone fishing.
Good luck.

jayclarkflyfishing
01-12-2012, 09:46 AM
I was just on the Smith last week and the boat traffic was not as bad as I have seen in the past. Try the Society Hole access at the Hiouchi bridge. There is a nice run just downstream from the put in that is a fun place to cast. The boats that I dealt with were very respectful and cam in close to pass by me and didn't float over the water that I was swinging through.

Best of luck!

Jay

thepeacockspecial
01-12-2012, 10:22 AM
Thanks...Patrick lodge looks good... might end up there... hows the river access near gasquet? id like to base somewhere where i can sneak out early am and maybe right before dawn..was going to stay near the town more... but 16 mins of driving is about 30 casts/ swings.. which would mean i would need 970 more casts in :D

KJE
01-12-2012, 11:20 AM
Access in Gasquet itself is a little restricted, but you can find access above and below town. There are some incredibly beautiful spots off of 199. The Acacia Pool (what my friends call it) may be the prettiest place I've ever fished. Not a ton of swinging water though, if that's what you're after. A two-handed rod would ease casting in many places.

Hoping to get up there in the next month or so. Such an amazing place, especially in the rain and fog.

Ned Morris
01-12-2012, 12:19 PM
Go early and late afternoon to avoid boat traffic. Done well late season there with less traffic. Nice Cutthroats in the mix too (March) Just watch out for the boats this time of year.

rippinstreamers
01-12-2012, 11:58 PM
peacock, I just got back from a three day stint up there. Boat traffic right now is primarily between the forks and the 199 bridge, and not too many of them. The water is very clear, I mean like New Zealand clear. There are fresh fish still making there way up the river, I got a chance to float one of the days and I stood up on the bow like a polling platform to spot the buggers. Take the advise of everyone here, stay away from the boats, they will only hurt your feelings. All the places that the fish were stacked up there were boats bombarding them with you name it and you could watch the steelies dart around trying to avoid the chaos. They will also be on the water before you will and I found that they were a little less curtious about your water because of the hard conditions.
I recommend a longer lighter flouro leader than one might typically fish to winter steelhead and dont be afraid to fish the shallow moving water. I was constantly seeing boats hook up in water no more than thigh deep, which also makes for a nice sneaky approach with a long leader smaller sparse fly system. Something to pay attention to is the makeup of your run you choose too, I saw fish move into swingable water that had a giant deep hole for those guys to hold up in below it.
As far as flies, you name it I threw it. What I walked away with is that all the gear guys had to tone down their rigs and drop leader size for them to have success, so think subtle. Then again they are also getting them to bite a clump of yarn with a styrofoam egg that is being led by a cannonball, so who knows.
As far as above the forks, all reports that I heard from locals is that the southfork does not have many fish yet. The access for it is tough and virtual impossible to tell what you are going to fish until you commit to the hike in. The middle fork you can find them. Access is tough with short-lived runs and tough wading, but you will at least feel like you are the first one presenting something to the fish. The main river is way low right now, you definitely feel like you stand a chance, good luck man!

thepeacockspecial
01-16-2012, 10:48 PM
thanks all. ive gathered more information and will post photos up after the trip.. im gonna end up fishing the mouth saturday evenimg while the lady gets photos pf thr sunset.. will probably give lake earl a try at the coastal cutt. thanks again