PDA

View Full Version : ?? Anchorage, Alaska March & May 2012 ??

Hortuna
01-10-2012, 06:23 PM
Looking for a lot of advice. I'll be traveling to Anchorage two different weeks this spring. The last week of March and the first week of May. I'll only have a day or two each trip to fish, so I'm looking for somewhere close to town. Any and all advise would be very welcomed.

Thank you in advance,

Hortuna

FISHEYE
01-11-2012, 10:33 AM
The best option for the times you are going to be here is any of the numerous downtown Anchorage drinking establishments. Here is why:

-March: Pretty much the only open water option in March is the Kenai River for trout. This would be casting articulated leeches from the river bank in spots that may hold fish. Sometimes I catch something but most of the time I don't. The weather in the last week of March can be brutal- cold, snow and wind or you might have cold, wind and sun. It is almost always cold and windy then. I have been turned back numerous times trying to drive south through Turnagain and Summit Passes by snow. We are setting new snowfall records almost everyday so any place that you might walk into will have lots and lots of snow. I will have snow in my backyard until at least Memorial Day. No sh**! I guess you could find a charter out of Homer to take you trolling for king salmon in the salt. The king fishing this winter is excellent. Homer is 215 miles south of Anchorage or a 45 minute flight.

-1st week of May: Lakes are still frozen. Kenai is now closed in the areas that have trout until June 11. Lower Kenai will be low and clear and is open for salmon, but they will not yet have arrived. Most streams are closed to fishing except for weekend salmon fishing which does not start until the end of the month. King fishing in the salt can be excellent on the southern Kenai Peninsula. A few halibut around then. There might be a few fish in the Kasilof but it is way to early for good fishing.

Hortuna
01-11-2012, 03:10 PM
FishEye,

Thank you for your time. Understood.

Regards,

Hortuna:(