PDA

View Full Version : A bit further north

Yard Sale
01-09-2012, 05:31 PM
Last year I finally got myself set up with some switch rods. Up here in Oregon they are sweet for coastal stuff and when the water gets low and clear it makes fishing the outside bends so much better. Ever since I picked up a SR8wt and a SR7wt and lined them both with the airflo skagit switch I had been anticipating this day. Finally got to put the rubber to the road. The river was super crowded, all the more reason to be able to fish where a normal size spey rod doesn't fit.

Had one solid grab but farmed it. No worries, still had a great time and got more dialed on casting the short stick and line in super compact spaces. I am sure this is a tool that will pay huge dividends at some point. In a sport of tiny steps forward this was a day of huge leaps....

On to the fun.

Started at the white water:

http://www.drakemag.com/phpBB3/download/file.php?id=44249

And fished all the way down this run:
http://www.drakemag.com/phpBB3/download/file.php?id=44243

Took about 4 hours so I didn't get much time to fish after that.

Cruising down saw this fella eating an old salmon:
http://www.drakemag.com/phpBB3/download/file.php?id=44247

So I decided it was lunch time. Hot wings with chunky blue cheese, cheezits, and Ninkasa:
http://www.drakemag.com/phpBB3/download/file.php?id=44246

Floating out I found one more open run near the takeout and hit it up. As I was working down a guy comes out of the bushes near the tailout. He sees me and walks back to the tree line and sits down. This is a 150 yard run and I'm all alone. Guy waits for 20 mins as I work my way down and I start thinking he is just out for a walk. After I'm done and drifting towards home he walks down and starts to fish. Verrrrrrryyyyyy cool!

The way home:
http://www.drakemag.com/phpBB3/download/file.php?id=44245

Till next time(later this week I hope!)
http://www.drakemag.com/phpBB3/download/file.php?id=44248

Larry S
01-09-2012, 05:55 PM
Yardsale:
Great report and terrific pics. Thank you!

-------
Floating out I found one more open run near the takeout and hit it up. As I was working down a guy comes out of the bushes near the tailout. He sees me and walks back to the tree line and sits down. This is a 150 yard run and I'm all alone. Guy waits for 20 mins as I work my way down and I start thinking he is just out for a walk. After I'm done and drifting towards home he walks down and starts to fish. Verrrrrrryyyyyy cool!-----------

This guy behaved exactly like the folks in your "rules" post should. He waited it out
and then had his go at it. Common courtesy! Think of "rude behavior" on the forum just
like you would "low holeing(sic)" on the stream. The "PM" feature is great at times for
expressing your opinion. Other times, look(think) before leaping. There are lots of
folks out there in ether land that just like to ruffle feathers; not contribute anything.

I actually think there needs to be a grandfather's clause - no, make that a great
grandfather's clause in this rule thing. All those old enough to be a great grandfather,
are given a greater latitude in their posts than you younger turks. There aren't that
many of us and we don't remember what we just posted, anyways.
Hope you stay with us and look forward to more of your words and pictures,
Best
Larry S

Bill Kiene semi-retired
01-09-2012, 06:06 PM
Thanks Yardsale

That is a very nice post.....beautiful country.

Ed Wahl
01-09-2012, 06:49 PM
Nicely told along with some good pics. I love posts like this. Thanks Yardsale.

Ed

JGB
01-09-2012, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the report and pix. Keep them coming!

JGB

TaylerW
01-09-2012, 07:45 PM
alot of people in oregon have really solid river etiquette. i cant remember any specific time i was low or high holed, and always got the "looks like your fishing down the run, mind if i jump in at the top?"

no grief between gear and fly guys either. i learned more about steelhead from a crusty old guy with a ugly stick and a cheap plastic spinning reel throwing grass shrimp then i will ever be able to utilize. two more years of school and then im moving back to tillamook

shawn kempkes
01-09-2012, 10:10 PM
great report. i like your taste n beer. total domination rocks.

Blueracer
01-09-2012, 10:31 PM
Good post YS. What river is that if I may ask?

Spicytuna1
01-10-2012, 12:15 PM
Nice post and TR man. You got some damn fine looking country up there. Nice to see some new blood posting quality stuff

Sammy
01-10-2012, 07:20 PM
I've never fished in Oregon, but I've been there. Seriously, the nicest folks all around. I'm sure it carries over to fishing etiquette as well.

shawn kempkes
01-10-2012, 07:59 PM
I've never fished in Oregon, but I've been there. Seriously, the nicest folks all around. I'm sure it carries over to fishing etiquette as well.

If you guys spent much time in Orygun during salmon season on the coast or on The Alsea you wouldn't be saying that. There are just as many lowholers there as on any of the rivers down there. The difference between worshington and Orygun is they drift thru your hole and make a couple of casts thru your water. In worshington they drop anchor and fish right in the bucket you were working your way down the run to get to.

chainsaw510
01-10-2012, 08:47 PM
:tear:those are great shots and the story had me teary eyed. but your taste in beer? i prefer coors light, my parole officer can't detect it in my wee-wee. you should maybe get a dog or three..... it keeps the low holers in check. were those rocks in the river or sea turtles? tanks, your buddy bat shit crazy aka porterhouse:wasted:

Yard Sale
01-10-2012, 09:57 PM
If you guys spent much time in Orygun during salmon season on the coast or on The Alsea you wouldn't be saying that. There are just as many lowholers there as on any of the rivers down there. The difference between worshington and Orygun is they drift thru your hole and make a couple of casts thru your water. In worshington they drop anchor and fish right in the bucket you were working your way down the run to get to.

Yup, people are people the world over. Difference is we have enough rivers that if you work at it you can find your own water. To me the future of steelheading is making certain rivers wild only(hopefully most of them) and then making some "put and take" hatchery rivers. Funny how courteous people are on the few wild only rivers up here....people just after the "experience" act differently....

Buts its all good and if you have the right frame of mind any day with a chance to hook one of these mythical fish is a treat to be appreciated....

Thanks folks, will be sure to post more....and maybe even a fish someday! truth be told the salmon hatchery has all but killed the steelie run on this river but it just such sexy water I can't stay away!

if you think you would like to fish that water please support the effort to stop the hatchery plantings on the sandy river. Check here for more info:

http://nativefishsociety.org/index.php/conservation/sandy-river-litigation-info/

Thanks!