PDA

View Full Version : Wader neoprene heel repair

Kyle C.
01-06-2012, 11:10 PM
I have some breathable chest waders with neoprene booties. The neoprene in the heels of the booties on both feet has recently worn so thin from rubbing against my boots that they both leak pretty bad. I was going to try and fix it maybe with some patches or some product or maybe a combination of the two. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with trying to patch the neoprene heels? Thank you.

Ed Wahl
01-06-2012, 11:24 PM
Kyle, you can coat the leaking areas with Aquaseal(comes in a tube)inside and out and that will do it. For a better patch and ease of putting them on and taking them off cut off a piece of womens nylons and press that fabric on the patch when still wet.

Where and how you get the nylons is totally up to you, but here's some advice to take or leave. If your wife finds out,deny everything. Even if she finds scissors, cut up nylons and glue continue to deny. Your very life could depend on this.

Your welcome.

Ed

Kyle C.
01-07-2012, 12:00 AM
haha thanks Ed. I think I may already have some of that aquaseal stuff which is good news. The nylons sound like a good idea haha. Do you think I should put the fabric on the both the inside and outside?

Thanks

Ed Wahl
01-07-2012, 08:43 AM
I use it for both. What the nylon patch does is allow fabric to slide over the repair. Cured Aquaseal grabs at fabric, it's not sticky just 'grabby'.
Hope that makes sense.

Ed

Ralph
01-07-2012, 09:46 AM
haha thanks Ed. I think I may already have some of that aquaseal stuff which is good news. The nylons sound like a good idea haha. Do you think I should put the fabric on the both the inside and outside?

Thanks

Use Aquaseal on the outside of the neoprene, that way it won't snag your socks or other fabric. If the neoprene is so thin that it has become porous, my guess is that you'll probably have to bite the bullet and send them in for foot replacement (both Simms and Patagonia will do this). Here is a short video from Simms on neoprene foot repair:
http://www.simmsfishing.com/site/gallery/gallery_display.html?gallery_id=00006&media_id=00018

nor cal steelie
01-07-2012, 04:29 PM
If there flat and leaking in the heel (there cooked ) an aqua seal patch will work , but its not very comfortable , I buy a set of new neapream 3 mill socks ($20) and cut the gravel guards off in one pice band , cut off the old socks and glue and sew the new ones on , then take the gravel guard and split the seem with it and aqua seal it in place , Ive done this a few times , It works fine , in my case the hicking and walking is what kills them , you can get the socks from the worlds formost outfitter