PDA

View Full Version : Smith River Guides

Dragking
01-06-2012, 01:57 PM
Hi all,

Can anyone recommend a good guide for the Smith? If I am lucky enough to make this happen, I want to make sure I fish with someone who knows the river.

Thanks,

DK

aaron
01-06-2012, 02:30 PM
Are you interested in swinging or indicator fishing?

Mark Kranhold
01-06-2012, 03:05 PM
Going to the Smith for the first this February with guide Rich Zellman. Sounds like he knows the water well, with the float he does. He does this float that has some pretty technical rapids I hear and not many guides do this section. So that sounds good to me, less pressure more fish... I hope. You might look into him.

Blueracer
01-06-2012, 04:54 PM
fyshhead - when exactly in Feb are you going? Anyone with you?

Mark Kranhold
01-06-2012, 05:05 PM
Presidents weekend, going with my brother. Have you been hooking anything out there?

Larry S
01-06-2012, 05:23 PM
fyshead:
I'm betting you're rafting the South Fork. This could be great or no-go depending on
the water levels. It does have the deserved reputation of being the fastest clearing
river on the North Coast. http://cdec.water.ca.gov/river/smithStages.html
The upper left-hand graph is for the Jed Smith Park. For most of Dec, it was at 6' -
low and gin clear. 9 - 12' would be great, IMO.
Best of luck,
Larry S

Mark Kranhold
01-06-2012, 07:54 PM
Oops, my bad. You are right Larry it is the south fork, thanks for the info. I will give a report after the trip.. Pray for rain!

Ben J
01-06-2012, 08:10 PM
That should be an awesome float! The South Fork has always proved to be very tough fishing for me, no steelies landed but i have come across a few very nice cutthroats. Beautiful terrain and gnarly hiking to get to some good water, but it is all worth it regardless of the catching. Check out some of the Darlingtonia pitcher plants along the road if you get a chance. Very Cool! As with a lot of the smaller steelhead waters in CA, you come across some very interesting locals... My favorite is the Jerry Garcia clone that obsessively stacks rock cairns along the road... Maybe he should take up fishing as a hobby:D

Ben J
01-06-2012, 08:18 PM
One more funny thing to add about this area... A couple years ago i hiked up a tributary of the South Fork to get closer photos of a waterfall and came across some very moldy, unharvested marijuana plants from the summer planted in the creek bed... Funny thing is that these plants truly looked like bonsai weed plants in that they were all under a foot tall, but still had buds. Apparently the culprit didn't get the memo on the serpentine nature of the soil and its nutrient deficiencies... Lol this makes me wish that i knew how to post photos, truly a weird sight!

Larry S
01-07-2012, 08:52 AM
There are some independent-thinking folks inhabiting the South Fork, for sure.

fyshhead- Use a lot of caution on the drive up to the Rock Creek Ranch. Even tho the
road has been upgraded - new bridges, etc., there are still frequent slides and sections
of blind one lane. Lots of places along the South Fork never see direct sunlight in the
winter. You could find icy roads in mid-day. The remoteness of the place is what
makes it so special.
Best,
Larry S

Mark Kranhold
01-07-2012, 09:31 AM
Hey thanks Larry & Kobestopper for the info and road hazards. Can't wait, the pictures i have seen of that area looks unreal. Hope the water levels come in just right.[-o< Thanks Mark