PDA

View Full Version : 2012 fishing trip...where to go?

Bob Loblaw
01-05-2012, 01:24 PM
I'm back at fly fishing after a 25 year hiatus and safe to say, I know little to nothing anymore. I spent the summer reacquainting myself with the equipment and learing a little about how things have changes since my days with a glass Diawa rod and 5 feet of 4lb mono for a leader.

I managed to get in about 6 days fishing too, (score trout-5, me-1).

I've loaded the library with a lot of books on California fly fishing and I'm hoping to have more success in 2012. The fathers of young children will also understand why I've spent a little time fighting with my wife about the time commitment involved in this new pursuit...'what to you mean you're going fishing on Saturday? there's a soccer practice!"

As a Christmas persent and a peace offering, my wife gave me 4 days of guilt free fishing. Pack the camping gear and fishing Wednesday night, pick up my fishing buddy and hit the road and we don't have to come home until Sunday night. Best present ever.

Where should we go, and when? Burney? Bridgeport? Markleeville? The books are somewhat helpful, but there's nothing like first hand info. We'll have to plan this a couple of months ahead so the option of chasing a great hatch somewhere at the last minute won't work.

(the only places I've managed to fish so far are Putah Creek, Lower Yuba and the North Fork of the Stanislaus...which is the only place I was able to catch any fish)

Ben Kobrin
01-05-2012, 01:59 PM
If I had 4 days (assuming a summer trip) then I would head to Mammoth Lakes. From there you have more options than you will know what to do with. Upper Owens, Lower Owens, Hot Creek, East Walker, San Joaquin, and more lakes than you could fish in a lifetime. In fact, last summer I had exactly 4 days and I took my own advice...trip report here:

http://www.kiene.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23834

Also, get a guide! Spend your first full day with someone that knows what they are doing and where to do it. This will give you some local knowledge that you can repeat for the rest of your trip. It can be pricy, but I always look at it this way: I'd rather spend a few bucks and have a great trip than be frustrated for 4 days just to save some money. For a few hundred bucks each, you and your friend will shorten your learning curve substantially while you are with the guide and you will feel like rock stars while you are on your own because you will know where to fish, how to fish and what to fish. My recommendation is Dave Neal (www.reelmammothadventures.com).

Wherever you go, have a great time. Honestly, you probably can't go wrong spending 4 days fishing ANYWHERE in California.

-Ben

P.S. - You wouldn't happen to have a Law Blog would you?

Bob Loblaw
01-05-2012, 02:56 PM
Looks like heaven and its on the list!. Funny, it was a long drive up 395 with a few side hikes thrown in that got me interested in picking up a fly rod again. I had beers with a couple of guys in a little saloon in Bishop and they showed me pictures of the fish they'd caught in the Owens that day and I was salivating.

I'm definitely considering a guide wherever I end up going. Sure, getting away is nice, and beautiful scenery is a bonus...but catching fish will make the campfire chat a lot more entertaining.

(no law blog, but I am a recovering lawyer)

donkeyhunter007
01-05-2012, 03:23 PM
arrested development...... maybe the best tv show ever?????

Bob Loblaw
01-05-2012, 03:53 PM
no maybe about it! unless you include Dinosaurs.

aaron
01-05-2012, 04:23 PM
He's a regular Freddie Wilson, that one.

Ben Kobrin
01-05-2012, 04:30 PM

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j35/lazychuck1/Misc/village-people.jpg

Bob Loblaw
01-05-2012, 04:36 PM

I don't get that reference.

aaron
01-05-2012, 04:42 PM
I don't either.

tacocat
01-06-2012, 06:03 PM
I second the Mammoth recommendation. Plenty of good campsites, and eateries.

I've never hired Trent Dilfer, umm I mean Joe Contaldi, but he's a cool guy.

mark
01-13-2012, 09:52 AM
I third the mammoth lakes option. Its a very fun area with TONS of options. You can hit remote lakes for Goldens (PM Me) and hit some of the main attractions that you should definitely not miss such as the Upper Owens and Hot Creek. Also, depending on conditions, Crowley could be going off. Then theres the backcountry stuff, San Joaquin, devils postpile etc. Plus a myriad of smaller creeks and tribs....... you will have too many places to fish!

Plus if you want to camp, you can do that in many places or you can probably find a reasonable place to rent a small condo or cabin in mammoth lakes on the VRBO website (Vacation rentals by Owner) Mammoth is a great and fun little town in the summer, lots of fun stuff going on, some great places to finish off the day with a tall IPA and a slice of pizza. Plus there are a couple of fly shops in town if you need supplies.

Bob Loblaw
01-13-2012, 10:30 AM
I think I'm sold. I had toyed with the idea of a 16 hour drive to stay with friends in Driggs ID and fish there for a few days, but I think this time would be better spend learning waters closer to home.

I'm thinking about hitting the East Walker the Owens and maybe Hot Creek if it isn't too crowded...I'm not a big fan of having to defend my water from intruders...I like my fishing to be 100% stress free :-)

I'll take you up on that Golden Trout tip. I caught a few of those beauties a number of years back up in Desolation Wilderness West of Tahoe on a hiking trip. Small but stunning fish.

Now all I need to do is decide what time of year to go. Probably August, maybe September after school is back in and things are quieter.

Jed Peters
01-13-2012, 01:28 PM
Meh.

Go to markliville.

Stay in a local place in town or the Carson valley inn in garderville.

Fish the east and west Carson, pleasant valley, and if you want (really not necessary) go down to Bridgeport to get em.

Bob Loblaw
01-13-2012, 03:14 PM
Meh.

Go to markliville.

Stay in a local place in town or the Carson valley inn in garderville.

Fish the east and west Carson, pleasant valley, and if you want (really not necessary) go down to Bridgeport to get em.

I do a family camping trip to Markleeville every year (Grover Hot Springs) and I definitely plan to get in at leasy one day fishing on the East Carson this year maybe Pleasant Valley....anyone know how much that costs? I love the area and plan on fishing it a lot in the years ahead...drop the wife and kid off at the pool and hit the creek!

I want this trip to be somewhere I wouldn't ordinarily go unless I'm chasing fish.

Jed Peters
01-13-2012, 04:26 PM
I do a family camping trip to Markleeville every year (Grover Hot Springs) and I definitely plan to get in at leasy one day fishing on the East Carson this year maybe Pleasant Valley....anyone know how much that costs? I love the area and plan on fishing it a lot in the years ahead...drop the wife and kid off at the pool and hit the creek!

I want this trip to be somewhere I wouldn't ordinarily go unless I'm chasing fish.

Pleasant valley is 75 bucks, I think.....

EricO
01-14-2012, 10:00 PM
I fished Pleasant Valley a few years back. Pretty fun if the water isn't super low.

Some big rainbows in there! $95 per day.

http://alpineflyfishing.com/rates.htm

EO

Bull_Dog
01-18-2012, 11:30 PM
Hey Bob,

Dont know if you are into stillwaters but I host a couple of clinics at a private Ranch near Susanville that has awesome camping and some huge Rainbows. We set up a real nice camping spot with Bon fire stove grill etc by the lake.

We started doing this last year and the feedback has been awesome. Really great deal for the $$$. check out truckeeriveroutfitters.com for more info.

Rob Anderson