PDA

View Full Version : LSac kayak drift?

JGB
01-05-2012, 10:04 AM
Hello BKBB-

Looking for suggestions on the best drift in a kayak(Aire) on the LSac? "best" = lots of get out and wade spots too. Familiar with most of the Redding Area by foot, less so further down river.

Also looking for shuttle/partner options. Tryed a well known shop for shuttle service, and...umm...it was a waste of time. Have heard/read about taxis? Any other area shops worth calling for a reputable shuttle in the area?

Results too follow...

TIA! JGB

matooka
01-05-2012, 12:55 PM
At these flows...Posse to the driving range. Hang out and fish the channels...preferably on a weekday. Stay to the right after passing under the first overpass. Fish the water where the river front houses are located. You should be able to take out in the bay on the right hand side after the driving range. If not...you'll be forced to take out at Bonneyview. Be careful. I've rescued 3 kayakers on the Lower Sac with my 1652 Jet. Have fun and make sure to use enough weight to get it down...SSG 1.6G. In the smaller stuff...remove the split and swing different bugs and even egg patterns. Have fun!

JGB
01-05-2012, 07:37 PM
I like the sound of your suggestion, thanx. Have wanted to explore that area for a while. Can I get 6+hrs fishing out of the area? GE here I come...

My kayak breaks down to backpack size, figure I can hoof it up most banks to any parking spot - ramp not necessary! I just need a safe place to leave my truck within humping distance/sight of the takeout. Staying as high as you suggest would mean a cheap taxi ride too if I can't find a shuttle.

Thanx for the input!

matooka
01-05-2012, 09:02 PM
You'll stay busy. If this weather holds and the fish are off...give it a rest for an hour and take a power nap in the shade. Provide me with an e-mail address and I'll send you a map of the areas I feel you should target wade fishing. Sounds like an adventure.

RJSFLYTRIP
01-05-2012, 09:38 PM
Doing Bonnyview to Sac RV Park is going to give you more wade success. This will put you on many more riffles and give you plenty of time to make a full day out of it. From clear creek down to the take out there are ample places to fish. Spend most of your time in the riffles and dont forget to fish the flats while floating. The other drift they are talking about is really short (about 1 mile of water). The drift that I am suggesting is like 5-6. More spots to fish and easier to make a full day out of. Hope this helps.

Ryan Johnston
www.rjsflytrips.com

JGB
01-06-2012, 09:00 AM
Appreciate the help(and your contributions to the board), will consider that drift, but will have to work on the shuttle/partner thing for that drift.

Sound like your suggestion might be what I'm looking for time wise. IF, I do that float I would like to know the 1/2 way point so I can keep track of my progress for the day to ensure that I don't get left in the dark. Is there a landmark of some sort that I might be able to identify as the half way point? I guess I could just use my iPhone to track progress?

Thanx again, JGB

Joe Mateas
01-06-2012, 09:14 AM
PM sent.... I'm planning a trip up north soon, I think we can work something out. Ryan knows the river well, so the drift he mentioned is most likely the best for what we want to do.

RJSFLYTRIP
01-06-2012, 03:47 PM
The half way point is going to be a little down river of Clear Creek around the sewer ponds. Clear Creek is an easy land mark. If floating down river then the creek is going to be on your right. The sewer ponds that I am refering to is across from the second island down stream of clear creek (about 1/4 mile). You will want to spend the majority of your wading time from Clear Creek down to the Knighton Rd Access point. This is where the majority of the islands are creating the most wade accessable riffles. Hope this helps.