PDA

View Full Version : Trinity swing flies for winter?

Ben J
01-04-2012, 06:55 PM
Hey all, just curious about swing patterns during winter time on the Trinity. I have had some grabs come my way on the Mr. Pimp and some silver hiltons in larger sizes (2 and 4). Just wondering if other people stick with more "trouty" patterns that the Trinity is known for in the fall, or switch over to more coastal style patterns that are much larger... I'm sure you couldn't go wrong with bunny leeches... Would love to hear what others have had success with.

Sammy
01-05-2012, 09:12 PM
Gold Stones, Gold Stones and Gold Stones.

Last trip there we switched off between Mr. Pimp and Gold stones. Only caught fish on the stones. I imagine the water is even clearer now and the pimp might be a bit too flashy.

I think we fished sizes 12 and 14, but if you lift up some rocks you'll see them there and can find the right size.

Also... don't forget to cast far. Stay as far away from the run as you can. Stealth was key for us back in mid december.

weightforwardfilms
01-05-2012, 11:21 PM
It depends on what section of the T, you're fishing. With as low and clear as it is this winter, I'd stay small and dark for the middle and lower T. Spratley's, Shadow Hiltons, dark wire-body Speys, but I'd definitely have some Silvey's Tandem Tubes ready. For me, they're the go anywhere, anytime, big swing fly. Black with an orange cone, or silver cone and blue collar. Get's it done in the grumpier runs.

Ben J
01-06-2012, 07:19 PM
Thanks for the responses! I hit up the Del Loma section today and managed two half pounders and a brief hookup with an incredibly hot winter steelhead... "piss and vinegar" all the way! Each fish took a sparse green butt purple hilton. I was surprised at the amount of fisherman out on this section of river considering the time of year.

WeightForward- Do you have a recipe for the Shadow Hilton? I am unfamiliar with this pattern.

weightforwardfilms
01-06-2012, 08:47 PM
I believe Jeff Bright is the originator of this variation of the Hilton. It's a great producer. I would also check out Jason Hartwick's flies at idylwilde.com or at the Kiene Fly Shop. Jason has created some great variations on some classics and some originals that are outstanding. I would fish his Skinny Spratley all day, every day for summer and fall Steelhead and never think twice about it. Same with the Shadow Hilton.

Alec Jackson Spey hook sizes 5 or 7
purple guinea fowl for the tail
rusty brown dubbed body
medium copper wire for butt and ribbing the body
olive grizzly wings
purple guinea collar
some squirrel tail for a topping above the wings

Go to Jeff's site www.jeffbright.com. I'm sure there's a picture there somewhere of the fly, along with a lot of other great photographs.

jhaquett
01-07-2012, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the responses! I hit up the Del Loma section today and managed two half pounders and a brief hookup with an incredibly hot winter steelhead... "piss and vinegar" all the way! Each fish took a sparse green butt purple hilton. I was surprised at the amount of fisherman out on this section of river considering the time of year.

WeightForward- Do you have a recipe for the Shadow Hilton? I am unfamiliar with this pattern.

Did you use a sinking tip? How long of a leader?

Ben J
01-07-2012, 07:49 PM
I was throwing a scandi head with a 6.5 ips 10' polyleader on my spey rod... I know a lot of people would go straight to skagit heads this time of year, but I just don't like skagit casting and with these low flows and clear water, you can get away with a setup like this when fishing some shallower lies.

Terry Thomas
01-07-2012, 08:00 PM
Assuming we get some rain some day, Hartwick's Hosers would be a good choice for some Winter fish on the Trinity and the coastal rivers.
T.